Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 Week Paid Vacation and 1 Week Unpaid?
Boymom 08:47 AM 07-08-2016
Last year I only gave myself paid holidays, but I had in my contract that parents don't pay for my vacation time. I never took a vacation anyways! But, this year, I want to add vacation and PTO.

I was thinking of getting paid for 1 week vacation and not getting paid for the second (non-consecutive) week.

Also, would it be reasonable to accrue 1 PTO day every 2 months?

I just want to make sure I'm being reasonable!
lovemydaycare0912 09:34 AM 07-08-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
Last year I only gave myself paid holidays, but I had in my contract that parents don't pay for my vacation time. I never took a vacation anyways! But, this year, I want to add vacation and PTO.

I was thinking of getting paid for 1 week vacation and not getting paid for the second (non-consecutive) week.

Last year, my first year I didn't have vacation at all. Paid holidays yes. This year still have paid holidays. 2 weeks of vacation. 1 paid, 1 non paid. 5 personal paid days. May use them, may not.
Boymom 09:37 AM 07-08-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Last year, my first year I didn't have vacation at all. Paid holidays yes. This year still have paid holidays. 2 weeks of vacation. 1 paid, 1 non paid. 5 personal paid days. May use them, may not.
Awesome! Do you give parents 1 week vacation without pay? Since I'm making them pay me for a week, I didn't know if I should let them have a free vacation or not!
Unregistered 09:46 AM 07-08-2016
I think it is reasonable to get paid time off. I am closed on Fridays, so I take only certain major federal holidays off. I also take two weeks of winter break (includes Christmas Day & New Year's Day if they fall on a day I'm open), one week spring break, and one week summer break. I also have 5 days of personal/sick time off. All paid. I learned in my first year that it's important to take time off to help alleviate burn out, that's why I changed a few years ago my hours of operation and the days I'm open. It has helped a lot and I have been lucky to have families that are able to work with my hours and days.
Blackcat31 09:53 AM 07-08-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:

...rather than giving one week for free, why not just say both are at 50% tuition instead?

That way, it's a more consistent income and no one hears "free" because that is the word they will focus on and I see nothing but trouble when that word comes into play.
AmyKidsCo 01:17 PM 07-08-2016
BlackCat stole my idea.

I'd do 2 weeks at 50% instead of 1 paid and 1 free. It's less confusing and shows that all your time is valuable.

You can accrue PTO however you want. I "reset" my time off every September 1.
284878 07:47 AM 07-11-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
...rather than giving one week for free, why not just say both are at 50% tuition instead?

That way, it's a more consistent income and no one hears "free" because that is the word they will focus on and I see nothing but trouble when that word comes into play.
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
BlackCat stole my idea.

I'd do 2 weeks at 50% instead of 1 paid and 1 free. It's less confusing and shows that all your time is valuable.

You can accrue PTO however you want. I "reset" my time off every September 1.
I agree, 50% iOS better. I also reset things in september first. I don't have writing how many days I will take off per year but I also choose to to not charge but my rate reflects me not charging. (per suggested by Tom Copeland)

My question is if family a starts in April and you vacation in may and start family b in June then take another vacation in August, are you going to charge family b for your second week?
Tags:paid holidays, paid vacations, tom copeland
Reply Up