Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default What Do You Think, Suggestions Please...

I have a 3 year old who for at least 50% of the time Iím not able to understand her (I know the parents donít either). When I wipe her face after lunch she makes her body stiff and shakes and tries to lick the paper towel. She hits the other children, then comes to me and says ďHer nameĒ hit me. In other words she repeats what she hears the other kids say when they are hit by her. When she gets mad or I redirect her and she doesnít like it she kind of screams and grows (sp? I know it's not right, but for the life of me I can't spell it, the thing dogs do). She doesnít understand the different between Yes and No. I have finally gotten her to sit on the potty without screaming and crying (Doctor said to start to potty training). She does know her ABCís and recognizes most of them and can count and recognize numbers up to 10. I know we canít compare children, but she is just so very behind all the others Iíve had at this age, Iím concerned. She is taken to the doctors every time she has the least little bit of a cold and I would think the doctor would notice if there was a problem. Iíve not ever has any special needs children and Iím not up on the different conditions these days. Does this sound normal or not???

Just remembering something else. We did hand prints for mother's day, tracing and painted hand prints, she would not cooperate for either one. She screamed and wouldn't put her hand in the paint.

Last edited by Reimel61; 05-16-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I have a 3 yo who I can't understand 90% of the time when he DOES speak. He hardly ever does, but when he does, it sounds NOTHING like what he tries to say and it's only one word, never 2 words put together.

He seems to hear just fine...I've suggested to mom that they have him evaluated but you know how that goes...
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

She sounds like a prime candidate for an evaluation. At age 3 she is past the birth -3 program so the parents need to call the school. They need to call asap as school is almost over and they typically do not do this over the summer break! From what you have said she probably has a speech delay/disorder and possible sensory issues as well. This is just a guess based on what you said and I feel there could be other issues as well...I would give the parents a milestone chart and a list of your concerns. Depending on the Dr, they don't always recognize these things right away unless a parent is bringing up concerns to them 1st. When a Dr asks if the parents have any concerns it's up to them to be honest about it and the behavior but sometimes parents are in denial and act like everything is fine...