Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Extra Credit Help
Country Kids 07:26 PM 10-10-2013
My daughter has an extra credit assignment for Foods 2. I was wondering if everyone on here could take a minute to help her. We can't find alot on the computor so thought between all of us, we could come up with different ways.

The assignment is: 100 uses for kiwi.

Thank you for any help you can give her-
Michael 07:43 PM 10-10-2013
Like Kiwi Tart? Different uses for the fruit? There is also kiwi shampoo. Anything with kiwi as its ingredient?
Leigh 07:46 PM 10-10-2013
Smoothies, Dessert Pizza topping, Ice cream topping, pie filling, fruit salad ingredient, slushie ingredient, garnish, juice ingredient, jelly ingredient, fruit salsa ingredient, soda flavoring.

Wow-best of luck to your daughter-100 uses for kiwi can NOT be easy to come up with!
Lyss 08:11 PM 10-10-2013
Wow that's a lot! Does it have to be specific recipes? Specific to food or other uses like Michael suggested? I have a friend from AU that eats Kiwi for her asthma.

Sangria. Also my grandma makes a trifle with kiwi & strawberries. Leigh got all the others I could think of!

I know Allrecipes.com has an ingredient search option so you could just put in Kiwi and see what pops up maybe?

...unless that's cheating I see it as using all your resources

DH thought of two: Pork ribs with pineapple/Kiwi (or Kiwi-coconut) sauce and Kiwi ambrosia. Now if only I could get him to make those
SilverSabre25 09:05 PM 10-10-2013
100 Uses for Kiwis? what an odd assignment!

Use them to film Lord of the Rings movies
Herding sheep
I'm sure some kinds of kiwis make good pets.
Kiwis might taste good defeathered and roasted, like chicken

Oh! FOOD, well you must mean the fruit then. Maybe you can plant them and grow kiwi bushes? they might make an interesting projectile, especially if rotten. Eat one right out of the skin with a spoon. Put it in fruit salad. Put it on a regular salad. You can use fresh kiwi to screw up a batch of Jello! (What, it's a use!) Apparently they can be used to tenderize meat (http://www.thekitchn.com/what-can-i-do-w-2-162361) and that link has more uses in the comments section, such as on yogurt, on cereal, make kiwi jam, kiwi pops (dipped in melted chocolate and frozen), in smoothies, or as a facial.

I still stand by roasting a kiwi(bird) or making kiwi(bird) noodle soup. or keeping them as pets. Farming them/Raising them.
Laurel 04:33 AM 10-11-2013
-Guess the fruit game-Have different fruits and a kiwi and see if kids know what they are.
-Science experiment-See if a kiwi will roll down a hill
-Kiwi Game-Each participant gets a stick and a kiwi. See who can hit it across the finish line first. Best played outside.
-Kiwi Toss-played like ball tossing
-Kiwi baby food-just blend it up
-Science experiment-put a hard kiwi in a paper lunch bag on the kitchen counter and see if it softens in a few days. Put an equally hard one in the refrigerator as a control kiwi. Which one gets soft faster?
-Kiwi eating contest-see who can eat the most kiwi's (think hot dog contest)
-Kiwi math-count the kiwi's
-Kiwi math-make math problems with them (In this hand I have two kiwi's and in the other hand I have one kiwi. How many in all?)
-Kiwi hunt-Hide kiwi's like an Easter egg hunt
-Kiwi crafts-add a face like Mr. Potato Head. Whole cloves might make good eyes.
-Kiwi photography-arrange kiwi's in interesting ways and photograph them
-Art-sketch a still life of a bowl of kiwi's
-Write a book about kiwi's. It could be a children's book and the characters are kiwi people.
-Ask the grocery store if you could set up a kiwi tasting display. Many people have probably never tried them.
-Sell them. Go door to door selling kiwi's

Shades of Forrest Gump! Omg, stop me, I'm obsessed and at first I thought I couldn't think of anything!

Laurel
Laurel 04:45 AM 10-11-2013
Sorry, can't help myself

-kiwi juggling
-coloring page-get one of a kiwi and have children color it
-kiwi price check-see how much each store charges for kiwi's and try to find the cheapest ones
-kiwi education poster-make a poster with pics and facts about kiwi's to educate children on how healthy they are. Post in an elementary school.
-pet kiwi-think pet rock

Laurel
Msdunny 04:58 AM 10-11-2013
Dh said freeze it and use it as a hockey puck. And that is my only contribution - I am not a creative as Laurel! Good job!!
butterfly 05:17 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
100 Uses for Kiwis? what an odd assignment!

Use them to film Lord of the Rings movies
Herding sheep
I'm sure some kinds of kiwis make good pets.
Kiwis might taste good defeathered and roasted, like chicken

Oh! FOOD, well you must mean the fruit then. Maybe you can plant them and grow kiwi bushes? they might make an interesting projectile, especially if rotten. Eat one right out of the skin with a spoon. Put it in fruit salad. Put it on a regular salad. You can use fresh kiwi to screw up a batch of Jello! (What, it's a use!) Apparently they can be used to tenderize meat (http://www.thekitchn.com/what-can-i-do-w-2-162361) and that link has more uses in the comments section, such as on yogurt, on cereal, make kiwi jam, kiwi pops (dipped in melted chocolate and frozen), in smoothies, or as a facial.

I still stand by roasting a kiwi(bird) or making kiwi(bird) noodle soup. or keeping them as pets. Farming them/Raising them.
I'd love to see that movie - with fruit! I love your mind!!! - and herding sheep...
Leanna 06:09 AM 10-11-2013
Use kiwi to practice knife skills (peeling, slicing, chopping, etc.).

I've also heard that kiwi can be used to tenderize meat.

I am not much help...I hate kiwi
Laurel 06:44 AM 10-11-2013
http://kiwifruit.org/

Just found this. It seems like most fruits/veggies have one.

Laurel

P.S. Just Google kiwi fruit and tons of sites come up. I didn't know in China it is called gooseberry. Grown in New Zealand and they gave it the name kiwi fruit after a bird called the kiwi bird.
craftymissbeth 06:49 AM 10-11-2013
Use them as little basketballs and the trash can as the hoop.

Bleh... Kiwi...
itlw8 06:51 AM 10-11-2013
The boys on the wrestling team used to eat it skin and all. They said if you ate the skin you got diarreah and then could make weight.... no idea if it worked. I peel mine.
Country Kids 06:55 AM 10-11-2013
Thank you everyone so much!

I guess the teachers just ask list "100 uses for ....". I looked through my daughters folder and she had one for eggs and came up with 26 I believe. She received 13 points for that one (extra credit).

Keep them coming!
MamaBearCanada 07:14 AM 10-11-2013
Kiwi seed oil supplements
Kiwi seed oil in skin products
Kiwi skin oil in hair products
Kiwi helps those with asthma
Vitamin E & C
Fights free
Radicals

Food:
Smoothies
Kiwi juice
Salads
Snack
Meat tenderizer
Tarts
Pies
Flans
Icecream topping
Cereal topping
Flavor pancakes
Flavor drinks
Add to yoghurt
Dried kiwi
Decoration for cake
Practice cutting skills
Practice peeling skills

Math:
Measure kiwi
Weigh kiwi
Drop kiwi from different heights measure impact
Heat kiwi record effect
Submersed in water record findings

Science:
Grow kiwi from seed
Life cycle
Animal feed
Compost
Use in allegy testing

Art:
Draw kiwi still life
Kiwi sculpture
Kiwi paint stamping
Mash kiwi & paint with pulp
Roll skin in paint for texture
Whole, chopped, mashed kiwi sensory play
Laurel 09:39 AM 10-11-2013
-Give a speech about kiwi
-Donate them to a food bank
-Make a fruit salad and add kiwi
-Do a survey where you ask people what they can do with a kiwi
-See how many words you can make from the words 'kiwi fruit'
-Make up a song about a kiwi
-Describe how you would make a kiwi costume
-Organize a kiwi parade (hey they have pumpkin ones)

Laurel
Tags:fruit, kiwi
Reply Up