Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ABCmouse
TheGoodLife 07:07 AM 11-13-2013
Has anyone used this- is it worth the $? I have 18 month (too young right now I know), 33 month, and just turned 4 year old DDs, as well as a 30 month old DCG. I have a desktop, but it is pretty old and slow, so i'm not dure if it would even be a good idea or not- I don't want them on my laptop (at least not the DCKs for sure)
TIA!
Cradle2crayons 07:13 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
Has anyone used this- is it worth the $? I have 18 month (too young right now I know), 33 month, and just turned 4 year old DDs, as well as a 30 month old DCG. I have a desktop, but it is pretty old and slow, so i'm not dure if it would even be a good idea or not- I don't want them on my laptop (at least not the DCKs for sure)
TIA!
ayesssss and YESSSSS..

but you can get it for free.... No need to pay..... Pm me....
daycare 07:13 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
TIA!
I use it all the time on a desk top and ipad. I dont pay for it though. I am set up as a preschool.

Year ago when I first used it I was charged, but then qualified for a school account. I like it a lot, but the only thing that as the provider you will have to understand that it is not something that they can do on their own. They will need you there to assit them most of the time.

Also, a lot of the kids when using the desk top have a really hard time using the mouse.
MyAngels 07:13 AM 11-13-2013
At one point they were allowing FCCs to sign up for free so you might check to see if that's still the case. I haven't used it for the daycare yet but I did set it up so my older kids could use it at home and they seem to like it.
Cradle2crayons 07:14 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I use it all the time on a desk top and ipad. I dont pay for it though. I am set up as a preschool.

Year ago when I first used it I was charged, but then qualified for a school account. I like it a lot, but the only thing that as the provider you will have to understand that it is not something that they can do on their own. They will need you there to assit them most of the time.

Also, a lot of the kids when using the desk top have a really hard time using the mouse.
Yes, I have it on my iPad and he set up on the iPad is easier for he small ones. I also lock out the screen so they can't accidentally click out of it.
CedarCreek 07:22 AM 11-13-2013
We use it and love it. We do have to pay for it though.

They have a great tutorial on how to use the mouse for the kids!
daycare 07:32 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
We use it and love it. We do have to pay for it though.

They have a great tutorial on how to use the mouse for the kids!
yeah the mouse tutorial is great, I still find that the kids struggle with it. What does happen is that they all need me to read the instructions, tell them what to do next and so on. It is a fun learning game, but I honestly like sitting down with a group of 3-4 kids and playing old fashion board games. I think it occupies more kids at one time doing board games that the computer does.

My son who is 6 loves to play it and he does not need me to help him every second.
CedarCreek 07:41 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
yeah the mouse tutorial is great, I still find that the kids struggle with it. What does happen is that they all need me to read the instructions, tell them what to do next and so on. It is a fun learning game, but I honestly like sitting down with a group of 3-4 kids and playing old fashion board games. I think it occupies more kids at one time doing board games that the computer does.

My son who is 6 loves to play it and he does not need me to help him every second.
I agree that sitting down and playing with the kids is better but this program is good for when they want to play with technology, you know? They just think it's cool.

I usually sit by then while they are on it anyway in case they need help but I have a really small group so it's not hard for me to do that.
WImom 12:40 PM 11-13-2013
Would love to know to get it for free! Anyone want to share!? I'm a state licensed childcare for preschool age but maybe that's not enough to qualify??
Lyss 12:45 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
Would love to know to get it for free! Anyone want to share!? I'm a state licensed childcare for preschool age but maybe that's not enough to qualify??
http://www.abcmouse.com/teacher-registration?private=1

This is how I signed up and got it for free. It's been a few months but it looks the same.
kelsey's kids 12:54 PM 11-13-2013
I tried to sign up and they won't let you so it fit free unless you are non profit or have abd .edu email
Lyss 01:46 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
I tried to sign up and they won't let you so it fit free unless you are non profit or have abd .edu email
Via the website? That stinks. Mine is a gmail address and I was able too, but I guess they've changed things
MarinaVanessa 08:47 PM 11-13-2013
I use it and the kids love it. I get it free too. My only worry is that you might need to refresh your computer because if it's too old it may bog it down. It won't harm it but the games may slow down and freeze. Definitely try it though!!
TheGoodLife 09:32 PM 11-13-2013
Thanks everyone!!! I'm excited to try it
Lucy 10:22 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
I just now did it and got a free account. Use the link in Lyss' post above and just fill out the information. It asks for a Teacher's name, Owner's name, and Administration contact name. I put mine for all 3. And for name of school, I just put my Daycare name. Boom... it let me right on.
WImom 10:47 AM 11-14-2013
I got a free account using the link. Thanks!! We don't use the computer much here so I think I'm going to use it as a behavior benefit. Good Listening=computer time after nap. They are going to love this site!
KidGrind 10:52 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
http://www.abcmouse.com/teacher-registration?private=1

This is how I signed up and got it for free. It's been a few months but it looks the same.
Thank you! I love this site. So many helpful folks.
MissAnn 11:04 AM 11-14-2013
I signed up today for free too! How do you use it on the iPad?
Reply Up