Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teachers Kids Contract
MissAnn 06:54 PM 10-10-2014
I like the idea of charging more during the school year for teachers kids. My usual fee is $115/week. I take a one week unpaid vacation during the summer and a paid vacation at Christmas. I've always charged 1/2 price for summers and they can bring their kids 2 times a week.

I thought I would charge $125/week for teachers during the school year. They would have to still pay for my vacation, school breaks, holidays and school closings.

I would like to give them the option to pay year round or just the school year.

Here's my question.....

If parent #1 chose to pay year round but in January decided to pull their child out....they would give their two weeks notice and be done.

If parent #2 chose to pay only for the school year at the higher rate and decided to pull their child out in January....Wont' they want some money back because they are paying a higher rate to cover summer?

Or is it better for ME to choose one method or the other?
Silly Songs 11:24 AM 10-11-2014
I don't understand teachers paying more . Is it because they aren't there over breaks ? I was under the impression that many home providers charged per week . That to me would me if the dentist pays 200 a week, the teacher should also pay 200 a week. Does it give the teacher certain advantages ? 200 X 52 for both of them . Or am I missing something ?
hope 11:32 AM 10-11-2014
So the higher rate is to cover the loss of pay in the summer? I think it is easier to have only one teacher rate. I charge teachers less and they still pay for my vacation and holidays and I require them to keep their kids home on days they don't work paid to me. But that's me. Charge what you like but keep it one rate and if they chose to take summer off you can either charge a flat rate or deposit to hold the spot.
MissAnn 03:01 PM 10-11-2014
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
I don't understand teachers paying more . Is it because they aren't there over breaks ? I was under the impression that many home providers charged per week . That to me would me if the dentist pays 200 a week, the teacher should also pay 200 a week. Does it give the teacher certain advantages ? 200 X 52 for both of them . Or am I missing something ?
Some teachers do not like to pay for summer but I require 50% to keep their spot. Their child can attend 2 days per week. The higher rate during the school year gives them the choice to not have to pay during the summer. It's been discussed in this forum and many contract with teachers this way.
MissAnn 03:02 PM 10-11-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
So the higher rate is to cover the loss of pay in the summer? I think it is easier to have only one teacher rate. I charge teachers less and they still pay for my vacation and holidays and I require them to keep their kids home on days they don't work paid to me. But that's me. Charge what you like but keep it one rate and if they chose to take summer off you can either charge a flat rate or deposit to hold the spot.
Why charge teachers less?
Rachel 04:20 AM 10-12-2014
We have an August vacation (2.5 weeks paid) and the way it is covered is this: if a child pulls mid year they need to pay 1.5 days for every month (I think). So you could do something like that where you write teh contract from September through August at X per week and anyone who pulls early owes your 1 week paid + x per month as vacation you earned. I think though I woudl do the same for all teachers. It seems too confusing otherwise.
hope 09:56 AM 10-12-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Why charge teachers less?
I charge less bc they pick up earlier in the day and I require them to keep their kids home on days the schools are closed and I still get paid for those days. It is a great incentive to enroll teachers and have a shorter work day.
TheGoodLife 10:34 AM 10-12-2014
I charge less bc they pick up earlier in the day and I require them to keep their kids home on days the schools are closed and I still get paid for those days. It is a great incentive to enroll teachers and have a shorter work day.
Do you have them agree to a specific PU time? As a former teacher, I might be "off" work by 4:10, but I'd often have to stay late to keep working or for meetings. Do you have them guarantee earlier PU times, or are most of them just good at it on their own?
hope 11:13 AM 10-12-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Do you have them agree to a specific PU time? As a former teacher, I might be "off" work by 4:10, but I'd often have to stay late to keep working or for meetings. Do you have them guarantee earlier PU times, or are most of them just good at it on their own?
They have a 3:30 pick up time. If they have a meeting that keeps them later (usually happens once a month) they need to ask a month in advance and I have the option to say no, that I can not watch later. If I do I do not charge bc it's usually only a half hour. Once I started taking teachers I changed my hours. Now I only have one part time child that is here past 3:30.
Annalee 02:02 PM 10-12-2014
I like the idea of charging more during the school year for teachers kids. My usual fee is $115/week. I take a one week unpaid vacation during the summer and a paid vacation at Christmas. I've always charged 1/2 price for summers and they can bring their kids 2 times a week.

I thought I would charge $125/week for teachers during the school year. They would have to still pay for my vacation, school breaks, holidays and school closings.

I would like to give them the option to pay year round or just the school year.

Here's my question.....

If parent #1 chose to pay year round but in January decided to pull their child out....they would give their two weeks notice and be done.

If parent #2 chose to pay only for the school year at the higher rate and decided to pull their child out in January....Wont' they want some money back because they are paying a higher rate to cover summer?

Or is it better for ME to choose one method or the other?
My teachers pay 52 weeks a year like everyone else....They are allowed to come in the summer but they have to let me know each week which days they will attend so I can keep tabs on my ratio for the day....
Crazy8 06:33 PM 10-12-2014
They have a 3:30 pick up time. If they have a meeting that keeps them later (usually happens once a month) they need to ask a month in advance and I have the option to say no, that I can not watch later. If I do I do not charge bc it's usually only a half hour. Once I started taking teachers I changed my hours. Now I only have one part time child that is here past 3:30.
Wish that was the case here, but many schools here don't get out till 3:30 and if teachers work a little further away I still have 4:30-5pm pick ups for my teachers - and yes, they are coming straight from work.
MissAnn 06:49 PM 10-12-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Wish that was the case here, but many schools here don't get out till 3:30 and if teachers work a little further away I still have 4:30-5pm pick ups for my teachers - and yes, they are coming straight from work.
Same here
KSDC 08:12 AM 10-13-2014
I charge the same weekly rate during the school year.
A smaller holding fee for the summer.
In exchange for not charging full rate all year, I expect them to not bring their children on any school vacation days. (In-Service days are OK. If the teachers don't go to school, the kids don't come here.)

This is all just a verbal agreement. I really need to put it into a contract page. Anyone have a teacher contract that you can share with us? Blackcat?
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Same here. Also most "no school" days here are just no student days but staff still has work to do.

Also in my experience, most my teacher families like to use those no staff days as "me days" and still bring their children so there is no down time for me or a quieter day simply because a parent is a teacher.

I gave up trying to accommodate parents that work seasonally. I live in an area where we have lots of loggers and construction and road workers that work only through the Spring-Fall months and are off for winters and teachers working Fall-Spring with winters off...

Now I just charge per space and if a parent wants to risk losing their space by pulling their child during their off months/down time, that is up to them.

I do NOT work a seasonal job so I charge year round.
MissAnn 11:13 AM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here. Also most "no school" days here are just no student days but staff still has work to do.

Also in my experience, most my teacher families like to use those no staff days as "me days" and still bring their children so there is no down time for me or a quieter day simply because a parent is a teacher.

I gave up trying to accommodate parents that work seasonally. I live in an area where we have lots of loggers and construction and road workers that work only through the Spring-Fall months and are off for winters and teachers working Fall-Spring with winters off...

Now I just charge per space and if a parent wants to risk losing their space by pulling their child during their off months/down time, that is up to them.

I do NOT work a seasonal job so I charge year round.
I know I'm the one who brought it up.....and yes, im questioning myself. Why do we feel the need to accommodate teachers? I have a dad who will not work most of winter but has never asked for special. I don't feel we owe teachers anything different. I don't feel teachers are underpaid any more than other professions. BUT, there is the competition....I tend to get a lot of teachers kids. I have to compete with two programs that totally cater to teachers.....they don't pay for any day their child is not there including all of summer. This is why I'm trying to think of an alternate teachers contract that appeals to them and doesn't cheat my pay.
KSDC 11:18 AM 10-13-2014
For me, I am willing to do "special" for my teachers for two reasons:

1. I can usually fill their summer spot with one of my SA graduates, if I want it filled.
2. I like have lower numbers during the holidays and summer.

If it didn't work for me, then I wouldn't do it. KWIM?
Annalee 11:28 AM 10-13-2014
I know I'm the one who brought it up.....and yes, im questioning myself. Why do we feel the need to accommodate teachers? I have a dad who will not work most of winter but has never asked for special. I don't feel we owe teachers anything different. I don't feel teachers are underpaid any more than other professions. BUT, there is the competition....I tend to get a lot of teachers kids. I have to compete with two programs that totally cater to teachers.....they don't pay for any day their child is not there including all of summer. This is why I'm trying to think of an alternate teachers contract that appeals to them and doesn't cheat my pay.
The daycare centers around here do NOT charge for the summer for teachers, but I have found that if a parent wants your services they WILL PAY! I stopped a long time ago trying to accommodate all kinds of parents....I picked my hours, days, etc..with pay for 52 weeks a year, and I just won't 12 paying kids for those spots....Believe in yourself and what you have to offer....I would rather NOT have a child in a spot if I wasn't going to get paid for it...at least I would have a shorter ratio on those days!!!
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 10-13-2014
to the bolded.

As far as your contract for teachers could you maybe offer one of two options. Something like this:

Option A: Pay like a regular family (i.e NO special anything)

Option B: Keep your child out of care for EVERY no-school day during the year and then pay 50% tuition (with NO attendance) over the summer to hold your space.

Then figure out the no school days NOW so that the parent can agree ahead of time. Maybe add 50 cents or $1 more per day to their rate so that you aren't out a lot of income but the parent still views the rate as "special"?

I dunno...just thinking outloud.
SignMeUp 12:19 PM 10-13-2014
I don't accommodate teachers.

Their fee is determined by the number of days and the precise hours that they drop off and pick up their children, just like everyone else.

For summers, they can choose to contract for 1/2 of their normal schedule, just like everyone else. Very few others go to 1/2 for the summer, but sometimes a family will go down a day and have grandparent care, or work from home.

I don't mind keeping the space open then - it keeps my summer a bit easier and more fun for me
MissAnn 02:37 PM 10-13-2014
I think I'll just keep,doing what I have been doing. For summers they pay 1/2 price and can bring kids 2 days/week.....or they can take the chance I will have room when school starts up. This year fall and spring breaks work the same....1/2 price and kids can come 2 times. 8 days of Christmas are my paid vacation. The rest of the days I am open, so they pay. My weekly fees are low compared to the programs in the schools who cater to teachers. They are $30 a week more than my fees. So.....I'll probably just stick with that.
Reply Up