Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daughter fights nap time - 4 yrs old
Carebear 12:09 PM 08-11-2011
My daughter is in preschool five days a week and nap time is always a battle. The school has "quiet time" from 12:30 - 2:30. She gave up her naps a while ago BUT she will not even lay quietly for the teachers. She ends up singing at the top of her lungs or trying to wake up her friends that our on their cots. She fights it everyday - we are trying out some techniques butany other suggestions????

Thanks!
Lynn
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 08-11-2011
Could she possible be allowed to look at books or do a quiet activity while she is on her cot?

Is this a daycare center or a preschool?

In my area, the point of preschool is to ready kids for kindergarten and since kindergarten doesn't have a nap or rest time, the rest time routine is taken out of the daily schedule completely and kids are conditioned to stay busy and active for the better part of their learning day.
CheekyChick 01:34 PM 08-11-2011
I have the same problem, but with 2 to almost 3 year old girls. Singing, getting off their cots, talking back. Yikes! I'm still looking for a solution...
mac60 02:03 PM 08-11-2011
I am assuming she is in a all day daycare that offers preschool activities in the mornings. Kids simply need to learn the rules. Plain and simple. Quiet time is just that...quiet time. No talking, getting up, playing. Your choice to go to sleep or not, but no being disruptive. If you allow one to be up that quickly backfires and then you have 2 or three up and it keeps going. Some kids you have to be really tough with. Misbehave then consequence for that behavior. Nothing wrong with 2 hours of quiet time in the middle of the day for young children as many are up very early and have very long days.
sharlan 02:13 PM 08-11-2011
My granddaughter did this. She woke the other kids every day, teachers were not happy. They tried working with her, but nothing helped.

What finally worked out for all of them, was she had to lay on her cot quietly while the other kids fell asleep. Once they were asleep, she was moved to another classroom where she could play quietly. She fell asleep at preschool 2 or 3 times in 3 years.
Cat Herder 02:18 PM 08-11-2011
At 4 I personally would not have a problem with her not sleeping since she would be leaving here in the next two weeks when school starts.

I would, however, have a HUGE problem with her lack of discipline to be singing "at the top of her lungs" or trying to disturb others. IMHO, At 4 she should know better.

What are the consequences if she does this?
sharlan 02:32 PM 08-11-2011
I should add, that my gd didn't sing at the top of her lungs, but acoording to the teacher quietly. It was just enough so that the others either wouldn't fall asleep or would wake up.

The teacher even tried moving her to the opposite side of the classroom, right next to the door, but she still didn't fall asleep.
Tags:behavior - effecting others, nap, napping, napping routine, naptime
Reply Up