Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>How To Make The Transition For Own Children
akpayne 06:47 PM 04-05-2012
Hi everyone

I am new to the daycare world. I decided to leave my job and start a daycare from my home. I will be watching 3 children on top of my own 2. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on making the transition easy for my own children? They love spending time with other kids and are great at sharing toys, Im just not sure about sharing mommy.

Thanks for any words of wisdom from the pros!
Michael 12:47 AM 04-06-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.

Some threads on the subject: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ycare+children
SunshineMama 03:57 AM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by akpayne:
Hi everyone

I am new to the daycare world. I decided to leave my job and start a daycare from my home. I will be watching 3 children on top of my own 2. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on making the transition easy for my own children? They love spending time with other kids and are great at sharing toys, Im just not sure about sharing mommy.

Thanks for any words of wisdom from the pros!
How old are your children?

I have 2, ages 1 and 3. I never let the dck's in my kids bedrooms, and my kids know they can go wherever they would normally be allowed to go in the house if the dck's werent there. It is hard on them to share mommy though. For dd (3), I have 1 dcb who is her same age and they play well. Before that, she would stir trouble out of boredom. DD1 is very clingy to me still. I have not figured out what to do about that yet.
cheerfuldom 04:59 PM 04-06-2012
We also do not let the daycare kids just run through the house or into my kids bedrooms. We have a dedicated daycare playroom so even my own kids have that distinction between "daycare" and "home". The rest of it is just feeling your way through the dynamics of your day and the little personalities of the kids. Something that I have started doing in the past year or so which some providers may not agree with is that if everyone is needing something, a lot of the time, I will make sure my kids are taken care of first. My daycare kids are ALWAYS taken care of as well but my feeling is that this is my business and part of the perk of being a home provider is that I get to spend time with my kids and make sure they have what they need. I put my own kids on a schedule and adjust the daycare kids around our already existing schedule. The daycare revolves around us, not the other way around. This has worked for me. My kids are 4, 2, and 10 months.
SunshineMama 06:24 PM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
We also do not let the daycare kids just run through the house or into my kids bedrooms. We have a dedicated daycare playroom so even my own kids have that distinction between "daycare" and "home". The rest of it is just feeling your way through the dynamics of your day and the little personalities of the kids. Something that I have started doing in the past year or so which some providers may not agree with is that if everyone is needing something, a lot of the time, I will make sure my kids are taken care of first. My daycare kids are ALWAYS taken care of as well but my feeling is that this is my business and part of the perk of being a home provider is that I get to spend time with my kids and make sure they have what they need. I put my own kids on a schedule and adjust the daycare kids around our already existing schedule. The daycare revolves around us, not the other way around. This has worked for me. My kids are 4, 2, and 10 months.
I agree and do the same. I do everything for my kids, and the dck's reap the benefits (sign language, spanish, organic meals, etc). ALWAYS put your own kids first. Of course, treat the dck's like gold, but your own family should always come first no matter what.
akpayne 06:32 PM 04-06-2012
My children are 8 months and 3.5- We do have a designated playroom and DCK will not be allowed in my childrens rooms. I think I will just try and give my kids special one on one time when DCK are not here. Thanks for the advice ladies, I am excited for this venture to take off!
Tags:canada, provider children vs daycare children
Reply Up