Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cool Foam Flooring!
SilverSabre25 07:45 AM 01-18-2012
http://www.softtiles.com/index.php?o...d=59&Itemid=59

(That is NOT my playroom, ha, I wish! That's from the website)

Neat! I wish that I had enough $$ right now to buy these for my playroom!

Who was looking for a flooring solution that wasn't brightly colored? Mac, was that you?
Meyou 07:52 AM 01-18-2012
Oooo! I like it! I flip my floor mats over the to grey side when the color overload sets in. I hate the bright colors on the floor.
SilverSabre25 07:54 AM 01-18-2012
Yeah I know EXACTLY what you mean. Right now, I have no choice, but I'm working on it, lol. These wood-look ones are pricey but worth it if I do this super long term, I think.
Meeko 09:15 AM 01-18-2012
Wow...I'm in love with a floor!

But I can hear my checkbook crying from here....

I do however already have the slide in the picture! Maybe the rest will follow one day!
youretooloud 09:18 AM 01-18-2012
I bought those, and the color peels off within a week. It sort of flakes. Then, the crawlers put it in their mouths. I spent weeks pulling it from slobbery chins that I finally just put those in the garage for the dogs to use as a rest mat.
Ariana 09:18 AM 01-18-2012
I think it's really cool but man foam is toxic. Is this non-toxic by any chance?
Meeko 09:19 AM 01-18-2012
Hhmmmm.......this is on the web site......

"SoftTiles 2x2 Wood Grain Interlocking Foam Mats give the look of wood with the cushioned comfort of our SoftTiles foam mats. It's soft and stylish, fitting into a more traditional decor. The wood grain pattern is a thin printed film that is bonded to the surface of a white foam mat. It is glossy and lightly textured. Because the surface is printed, the mats can be damaged by sharp objects and punctured by high heels."

The "sharp objects and high heels" remark makes me wonder what the corners and edges of blocks and legos would do to it????
Mary Poppins 09:25 AM 01-18-2012
That is SOOO much better than this:

I get a headache just looking at the picture, can't imagine being in that room all day long.

We are remodeling our garage this spring and that wood looking stuff is exactly what I want. Thanks for sharing!
Mary Poppins 09:28 AM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I bought those, and the color peels off within a week. It sort of flakes. Then, the crawlers put it in their mouths. I spent weeks pulling it from slobbery chins that I finally just put those in the garage for the dogs to use as a rest mat.
Good to know. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.
godiva83 09:31 AM 01-18-2012
Ouch - colour over load

Too much colour, too many things going on is not condusive to many little learners out there. They can't focus because their environment is to 'loud' with stuff and colour.

I use the locking mats from Lowes meant for the garage they are a dark gray / so durable, but not too soft. I use them under my craft, sensory and eating areas to protect my existing floors. I hated the foam interlocking mats, I could never get them clean enough
Hunni Bee 05:22 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:

I get a headache just looking at the picture, can't imagine being in that room all day long.

We are remodeling our garage this spring and that wood looking stuff is exactly what I want. Thanks for sharing!
Yikes! But I could probably deal with it...

When we repainted the walls a few years ago, the painter convinced my director to buy only the discount paint that people had had mixed but never picked up....as a result most of the rooms are horrible color combos...

Dark gold and bright red; orange, forest green, lavender and electric blue....ick. I try to cover up the gold walls as much as possible.
Michael 06:11 PM 01-18-2012
OP; looks like bamboo. I like it. I just bought a bamboo table today and it looks great.
Childminder 06:38 PM 01-18-2012
Just buy the least expensive and cover with carpet. Actually we bought foam used for under dance floors and covered it with commercial carpeting. You can cover with wood, sheet flooring and laminate too. It deadens sound and cushions for a four foot fall. We did find it on craigslist, ripped out of a dance studio for cheap but you can buy it from online sources. Recycled rubber.
Abigail 07:55 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:

This is one of those "Don't Look Down" situations! LMAO I've seen this on sale at our carpet store and can picture it in like a kids bowling alley, but not my home. It's cute for maybe a playhouse flooring...how would the store like it if I ordered 6 feet of it? LOL

Originally Posted by Childminder:
Just buy the least expensive and cover with carpet. Actually we bought foam used for under dance floors and covered it with commercial carpeting. You can cover with wood, sheet flooring and laminate too. It deadens sound and cushions for a four foot fall. We did find it on craigslist, ripped out of a dance studio for cheap but you can buy it from online sources. Recycled rubber.
That is a good idea. I've wondered about the extra cushion on some local children's play place flooring. It's soft, but carpet. I stopped at a few carpet stores, but none sell any extra soft foam just standard.
mac60 12:48 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
http://www.softtiles.com/index.php?o...d=59&Itemid=59

(That is NOT my playroom, ha, I wish! That's from the website)

Neat! I wish that I had enough $$ right now to buy these for my playroom!

Who was looking for a flooring solution that wasn't brightly colored? Mac, was that you?
Yes, it was me. We now have laminate flooring. I have 2 big area rugs in my room. I love my flooring, except the kids think they need to sit against and push my furniture out of place daily, also the noise level is much louder....but it is so much easier to keep clean.
Missani 08:56 PM 01-19-2012
I have one that is very similar from One Step Ahead (can't find the link right now). It wasn't too expensive, and I really like it.
Tags:flooring, flooring - padded
Reply Up