Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Started Our Garden Project!
MG&Lsmom 03:02 PM 03-25-2011
We normally get all our veggies from a CSA but they are not growing this year. So we're doing our own garden at home instead. I've planned for a 160sq ft garden and hope to produce enough organic veggies that i don't have to shop too much for produce.

Here's the start! My 2yos did such a great job filling up the starter trays. And the big kids planted the seeds.

nannyde 03:08 PM 03-25-2011
Dig it

No I really mean DIG IT.

Love love love love love

Good job and good luck.
KEG123 04:27 PM 03-25-2011
Great job!! We plan to do this soon too, just a bit too cold right now!
melissa ann 11:08 AM 03-26-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Great job!! We plan to do this soon too, just a bit too cold right now!
copy that! What happened to spring? We had a coating of snow a few days this past week and maybe tomorrow. Our normal temps for the day should be like 54 and we are lucky to reach 40: (
MG&Lsmom 01:05 PM 03-26-2011
Thanks! It's freezing here in Massachusetts. Thankfully I have a great bay window in the living room that is a fantastic greenhouse. Last year we planted purchased plants and it was so expensive for our little family garden. If even 1/2 the trays grow we'll be in good shape. Now to keep the cat and little hands out of the dirt!
PitterPatter 01:56 PM 03-26-2011
[quote=MG&Lsmom;97429]We normally get all our veggies from a CSA but they are not growing this year. So we're doing our own garden at home instead. I've planned for a 160sq ft garden and hope to produce enough organic veggies that i don't have to shop too much for produce.

Here's the start! My 2yos did such a great job filling up the starter trays. And the big kids planted the seeds.

Thats awesome! Where do u get the trays? I have never seen them like that before. Do u keep them outside once planted or transfer after they start? I dont know much about gardening I just hand all my money over to the local produce store lol Really would like to stop that!
Crystal 03:49 PM 03-26-2011
YAY! Looks like they enjoyed it!

I am anxiously waiting to start our garden. It has been pouring rain for days. We do wine barrell plantings, so we start our seed outside. You've gotten me excited to start!!
jen 03:55 PM 03-26-2011
Awwww...they are so cute!
MG&Lsmom 06:25 AM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
Thats awesome! Where do u get the trays? I have never seen them like that before. Do u keep them outside once planted or transfer after they start? I dont know much about gardening I just hand all my money over to the local produce store lol Really would like to stop that!
I got the trays at a local discount store. $2 a piece for 50 compartments. $1 for the plastic tray underneath. I also got my seeds there. 2011 seeds for <$2/packet. And they are plantable trays too. You just plant the whole peet pot in the ground when it's time for transfer.
I'll be starting the plants inside in my huge bay window until frost risk is over. It was 17 degrees here overnight last night. We're having -20 degrees below average this weekend. I'm staggering my planting as well so I can spread out the crop and have veggies all summer. I didn't know too much about gardening myself. But last summer I worked closely with the main farmer of our CSA doing the distribution to our members. She's awesome and taught me so much.
Checkinkids.com 07:17 PM 03-27-2011
Anyone got any tips on how to keep rabbits away?
MG&Lsmom 10:14 AM 03-28-2011
I was told marigolds. I'm going to try it. Darn bunnies ate all my squash & pumpkin flowers last year and all my peppers!
Evansmom 10:42 AM 03-28-2011
You guys are gonna love it! I've been doing it with my daycare kids for the past 2 years. Last year we did squash, zucchini, tomatos and herbs like basil and oregano. I also let them plant their own seeds in a plastic pot (sunflowers) then care for it and take it home once it was bigger.

This year so far we've done lettuces, kale, artichokes and cilantro, oh and chocolate mint which they love to smell! They have planted a selection of herbs in their own pots (basil, thyme and chives) to take home and share with their family once they mature.

It's so much fun and the kids love it!

And I've also read marigolds for insect repellant. Don't know what to do for bunnies.
Missani 11:37 AM 03-28-2011
Our plants are HUGE already. I already have to repot them into individual pots. I cannot believe how much they have grown. The kids love to do it, and it's great fun! Now, if only Spring would come...I'm convinced the whole garden will have to be indoors this year.
MG&Lsmom 02:31 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by Missani:
Our plants are HUGE already. I already have to repot them into individual pots. I cannot believe how much they have grown. The kids love to do it, and it's great fun! Now, if only Spring would come...I'm convinced the whole garden will have to be indoors this year.
That is awesome! I'm thinking about getting a greenhouse myself. We get awesome sun on the front of the house that would be perfect for it from early spring to early winter. In fact my neighbors joke and talk about how my front yard is always 10 degrees warmer than any other place on the street.

The kids asked me today why the plants weren't showing through yet. So we had a mini lesson on the lifecycle of a plant. lol.
Tags:gardening
Reply Up