Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Thoughts On This Law And......
Country Kids 03:19 PM 04-25-2013
http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...25&id=16399551

I know awhile back we had a discussion on the use of marijuanna and the ran across this article.

Now I'm wondering if people that use medical marijuanna could use it during childcare hours?
rmc20021 04:20 PM 04-25-2013
I don't know any rules/laws regarding medical marijuana being used during childcare hours but would think it falls in the same category as smoking on the premises during daycare hours.

I'm a licensed foster parent as well and there are many biological parents who are getting the cards just because they can continue using and not have it held against them.

Using medical marijuana with the card cannot be cause to withhold a child from a parent for visitation or reunification...stupid, stupid laws.

But even though this is the case, the parents also cannot use the mm in the childs presence...so I would certainly hope the laws are as strict, if not stricter with child care.
LittleD 06:07 PM 04-25-2013
Not speaking in a daycare capacity, but in the case of the man in the article, I think it's unfair! It does have properties when used in accordance with dosage instructions that can help many people where prescription drugs fail. There are side effects to every prescription drug, just as there is in "weed" (easier to say lol) As long as the person isn't impaired while doing their job, I don't see the problem!!
MarinaVanessa 06:25 PM 04-25-2013
I think it should depend on whether or not you can do your job and the safety of you and the others around you if you use it. In other words, if you have a desk job and have a legal right to use it (you live in Co. or have a medical marijuana card for legit medical purposes) then I don't see why they should be able to discriminate. If you however us MM and you work with machinery or heavy equipment or drive heavy machinery or vehicles as a job and they require drug testing then I can see why it would make it unsafe.

Medical condition or not, marijuana is marijuana and can alter your thinking, reaction time and make you slow. I wouldn't want to work in a construction site for example alongside a coworker who used MM for a condition. I'd never know if he was using it or under the influence of it while on a job or whether it was hazardous to my or not.
rmc20021 07:01 PM 04-25-2013
I agree about it really not being fair to the man in the article because he really DOES need it, and if it were to affect the safety of himself or others, I would think his employer should be willing to accomodate him by giving him a position which the effects of the mm wouldn't be as much of a safety concern. That would be a true disability which should not be discriminated against any more so than any other disability.

I have great concerns though about which people are using it for the intent it was legalized for, and the intent of just using the mm card as a legal way to use legally, as they'd done previously illegally.

So, so, so many people are getting the mm card under any pretense they can come up with in order to not get caught. And unfortunately there are 'doctors' who prescribe it left and right without even knowing a person's true medical history.

The person makes an appointment with these doc's (and some of the doc's go right to the 'shops' and do mass diagnosis even without appts). They tell the doc what they want it for...no documentation or anything to verify that they even have those issues, and bam...doc writes the order for the issue of the mm card.

Now THESE are the people who I feel should not be allowed to work at any workplace strictly due to their deceipt and sole purpose of being able to legally get/be/stay high.

I don't care what ANY user claims...marijuana DOES impair you. I tried it a few times (and I DO mean a few) in my much younger years and it was as much of an impairment as drinking. How many employers would allow drinking on the job?

Sorry for the ramble...being in the foster care world has opened me up to an insight into the lives of drug addicts I never would have thought was possible. And YES marijuana IS a drug...maybe not as bad as some of the others, but it's still a drug.
LittleD 10:52 AM 04-26-2013
Yes it does cause impairment, and I would hope that no one was using WHILE doing their job, (even if it was a desk job). It would be nice if they could come up with a short term identifier (like a breathalyzer) to make sure that people weren't using while on the job.
Reply Up