Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Handle With Parents And Employees
daycare 07:48 AM 11-18-2013
In my DC it is my policy that I am the only one who does all of the correspondence with the parents. I decided this before I hired anyone so that I could eliminate the possibility of any issues with he said this she said that type of stuff. I wanted zero confusion and I didn't want my asst. telling parents stuff I did not know about.

For example I didnt want parents telling my asst Joey will be in late tomorrow around 10am and then I don't get told. Or my asst was not aware that we would be on a field trip at that time, so that would not be possible.

All of my employees know this and all of my parents know this.

Well one of my asst has a child that attends the same school as one of our parents. A few weeks ago the parent approached my asst and started asking her all these questions about her child in our care. It was not anything bad, just not what I would have liked explained or answers that I would have like to respond with.

I told my asst the next time should this happen again, just tell the parent, " it would be best to talk not DCP about that." Leave it at that.

This weekend my asst called me and said that she ran into this parent at the grocery store and again she started up with all the questions. My asst did as I asked her to do, but the Parent just kept on prying for more information.

The odd thing is that I am close to this parent, I have had them in my care for 4 years and I always felt that we could talk about anything.

Should I approach this parent and tell them that if they have any questions or concerns about anything that happens here that they need to address it with me and not my employees? For some reason, I just can' t find the right approach to ask.

Any advise on this would be great.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 11-18-2013
"Sally, my assistant told me this weekend that she ran into you and you had asked her some questions.

First, I need you to know that my assistant is NEVER allowed to discuss anything daycare related with a parent as this goes against my employee contract so you wouldn't want to get her fired would you?

In the future, I would appreciate if you directed any questions or concerns you have directly to me.

I have this policy in place so that nothing is ever misconstrued or misunderstood.

My employees work for me and having them discuss issues with parents on their off time is akin to your boss expecting you to work when you are off the clock.

Thank you for understanding."

How about something like that?
daycare 07:55 AM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"Sally, my assistant told me this weekend that she ran into you and you had asked her some questions.

First, I need you to know that my assistant is NEVER allowed to discuss anything daycare related with a parent as this goes against my employee contract so you wouldn't want to get her fired would you?

In the future, I would appreciate if you directed any questions or concerns you have directly to me.

I have this policy in place so that nothing is ever misconstrued or misunderstood.

My employees work for me and having them discuss issues with parents on their off time is akin to your boss expecting you to work when you are off the clock.

forgive me for being slow this morning, long night.

what does akin mean??
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
forgive me for being slow this morning, long night.

what does akin mean??
similar or the same

"essentially similar, related, or compatible <his interests are akin to mine>"

crazydaycarelady 08:15 AM 11-18-2013
I have had a similar situation. I had one dcp that acted like everything was just great with me, but then she would make comments to my assistant about the temperature in the dc being too cold, or that I would need a gate up. Annoying!
daycare 08:43 AM 11-18-2013
I think what is upsetting to me is that of all the parents I have here this was the last one that I would ever have thought to do this.

UGH.

Now, should I approach her face to face or write an email? lol

Blackcat31 08:52 AM 11-18-2013
Just keep it friendly. She wasn't implying that you are doing anything wrong.

More than likely she is just human and is nosey enough to want to know if there is more going on than she already knows.

She probably isn't fishing for anything just thinking "maybe..." ya know?

I'd just approach it from the standpoint of your employee telling you and not wanting to be fired over it.

She (DCM) will probably not want your assistant to be fired so atleast she will know now that everything gets back to you and you won't hear about this again.

Just say it in a friendly manner like you are just informing her of your employee policies not like you are scolding her.
Leigh 09:42 AM 11-18-2013

This, PLUS: Thanks for understanding. I know that you wouldn't want my assistant discussing YOU or YOUR CHILD with others, either, would you?
Shell 10:30 AM 11-18-2013

Annalee 10:30 AM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
In my DC it is my policy that I am the only one who does all of the correspondence with the parents. I decided this before I hired anyone so that I could eliminate the possibility of any issues with he said this she said that type of stuff. I wanted zero confusion and I didn't want my asst. telling parents stuff I did not know about.

For example I didnt want parents telling my asst Joey will be in late tomorrow around 10am and then I don't get told. Or my asst was not aware that we would be on a field trip at that time, so that would not be possible.

All of my employees know this and all of my parents know this.

Well one of my asst has a child that attends the same school as one of our parents. A few weeks ago the parent approached my asst and started asking her all these questions about her child in our care. It was not anything bad, just not what I would have liked explained or answers that I would have like to respond with.

I told my asst the next time should this happen again, just tell the parent, " it would be best to talk not DCP about that." Leave it at that.

This weekend my asst called me and said that she ran into this parent at the grocery store and again she started up with all the questions. My asst did as I asked her to do, but the Parent just kept on prying for more information.

The odd thing is that I am close to this parent, I have had them in my care for 4 years and I always felt that we could talk about anything.

Should I approach this parent and tell them that if they have any questions or concerns about anything that happens here that they need to address it with me and not my employees? For some reason, I just can' t find the right approach to ask.

Any advise on this would be great.
This issue can be so aggravating. My mom is my assistant and we finally have it down path for her to tell the parent they need to talk with me about EVERYTHING.

But another thing that gets me ticked is my own children are in elementary school. One of my gma works there and she is constantly asking my kids things about my dc and then coming in the afternoon telling me what my sons said.....may be correct or may be off-base. So, I have had to be blunt with her, but some parents just don't give up and she is one that does not give up.

It gets annoying having to put your shields up everytime this gma drives up in the afternoon...
Reply Up