Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thanksgiving at Daycare?
DaycareMom 07:42 AM 11-23-2013
Hey Everyone!

I was just wondering what you all are planning for Wednesday. Do you give the kids a mock Thanksgiving feast?

We are planning on doing some Thanksgiving crafts and maybe a movie.
Stepping 08:27 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
Hey Everyone!

I was just wondering what you all are planning for Wednesday. Do you give the kids a mock Thanksgiving feast?

We are planning on doing some Thanksgiving crafts and maybe a movie.
I had thought about serving a thanksgiving style meal but figured they will be getting enough turkey the next day! I may let them watch a small thanksgiving themed cartoon and serve some pie for dessert.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:28 AM 11-23-2013
I try to have as "normal" days as I can around holidays. They get so wound up anyway I don't have to add to it. We have been doing fall things all along. Some years I have done "stone soup" on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
Laurel 10:53 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I try to have as "normal" days as I can around holidays. They get so wound up anyway I don't have to add to it. We have been doing fall things all along. Some years I have done "stone soup" on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Meeko 12:30 PM 11-23-2013
Every year we have a fun "manners" day. We learn about not being a "Messy Bessie" and "Noisy Neville" etc. We practice our good table manners with tons of please, thank you, may I have more etc.

I expect good table manners all through the year and demand please and thank you....but we REALLY emphasize it before Thanksgiving.

over the years, many parents have mentioned their toddlers trying extra hard to be polite at the table and even correcting wayward adults so I know some of it sinks in!
dbslas 12:44 PM 11-23-2013
We are doing Stone Soup on Wednesday. We had a sign-up sheet for all the parents to bring something (all snack-type items). We will read the story, then pass around a big bowl for the kids to add their contribution. After that it's a snackfest!
Stepping 01:34 PM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
We are doing Stone Soup on Wednesday. We had a sign-up sheet for all the parents to bring something (all snack-type items). We will read the story, then pass around a big bowl for the kids to add their contribution. After that it's a snackfest!
I love this idea! Think I will 'borrow' it for next year
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:25 PM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
Bahaa! ! I have the kidos bring a vegetable!! all ready to go into the soup. We make biscuits to go with the soup. Add some string cheese and a fruit and we are good to go for lunch. I really don't do "snack type" items.
dbslas 04:45 PM 11-23-2013
Bahaa! ! I have the kidos bring a vegetable!! all ready to go into the soup. We make biscuits to go with the soup. Add some string cheese and a fruit and we are good to go for lunch. I really don't do "snack type" items.
We do...cuz they are goin' home afterward
dbslas 04:46 PM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by Stepping:
I love this idea! Think I will 'borrow' it for next year

NeedaVaca 05:06 PM 11-23-2013
Hmmm...can we do a turkey dinner for breakfast and put them in a turkey coma for the day? lol Everyone gets so tired after the huge Thanksgiving feast
VTMom 06:34 PM 11-23-2013
We're doing the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving dinner (after watching it of course). We'll have popcorn, pretzels, toast with butter and jelly beans for snack...with some apple slices on the side to make me feel better!
Sunshine74 07:49 PM 11-23-2013
We are having a Thanksgiving lunch together on Tuesday. Each room is bringing something to contribute to the meal and we are all eating together.
MotherNature 06:21 AM 11-24-2013
Not doing anything, because I took this week as one of my paid vacation weeks.
JoseyJo 09:48 AM 11-24-2013
Unable to decide- I was planning on doing a mock Thanksgiving feast but now that I think about it doesn't that just take something away from the specialness of the feast with their families?

Maybe I will just do a "manners" meal... Can't teach manners enough!
Reply Up