Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diapers vs. Pull-ups
newtodaycare22 06:43 PM 08-02-2011
I have a 2 year old starting in a few weeks who is still in the potty training stage. She has the pooping on the potty down pat (Thank goodness) but still has occasional accidents with pee. I told her mom that she has to be 2 weeks accident free before undies are allowed, even though at home they are trying to train her without them. The mom asked if I prefer her to come in pull ups or diapers. My instinct is pull ups because she can continue the training process, and I feel like diapers will stifle her independence when she wants to go potty on her own. This is the youngest kid I've cared for (all others are potty trained..), so I'd love your advice!
Meeko 07:14 PM 08-02-2011
I won't potty train a child in diapers. Too much hassle. We need quick up and quick down! No tapes etc.

My personal experience has also shown that too many parents bring a child in diapers and say "We're potty training" This is interpreted to mean "We want YOU to do it all"

Buying Pull Ups means they are at least willing to pay the extra and will probably be working at home too so they don't have to buy the darn things anymore. All potty trainers must come in pull ups and easy pull up pants or shorts. No snaps, buckles, belts, zippers etc.
Unregistered 06:01 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
I have a 2 year old starting in a few weeks who is still in the potty training stage. She has the pooping on the potty down pat (Thank goodness) but still has occasional accidents with pee. I told her mom that she has to be 2 weeks accident free before undies are allowed, even though at home they are trying to train her without them. The mom asked if I prefer her to come in pull ups or diapers. My instinct is pull ups because she can continue the training process, and I feel like diapers will stifle her independence when she wants to go potty on her own. This is the youngest kid I've cared for (all others are potty trained..), so I'd love your advice!
Pull ups ARE diapers and they hinder potty training greatly. Mom is doing it right with the undies at home and I would suggest her not put pull ups on her child why not try the thick undies by gerber.
newtodaycare22 08:42 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Pull ups ARE diapers and they hinder potty training greatly. Mom is doing it right with the undies at home and I would suggest her not put pull ups on her child why not try the thick undies by gerber.
She did try padded underwear-They leak.

I CANNOT have kids peeing around the house, for sanitary purposes. I can't imagine doing the undies thing at a daycare(at a home fine).
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
She did try padded underwear-They leak.

I CANNOT have kids peeing around the purposes, for sanitary purposes. I can't imagine doing the undies thing at a daycare(at a home fine).
I do padded undies WITH plastic pants over the top I have never had any leakage so it works for me. I don't allow plain undies for sanitary reasons also.

The dck's wear diapers or pull-ups (which I personally think are dumb) and regardless of which they are wearing, they are changed the same way. Lying down.

Parents toilet train their own children and when the parent feels they are ready to start wearing undies they move to the padded undies WITH plastic covers. If they have more than two accidents during one day, they go back into diapers or pull-ups. (Which ever one the parent supplies)
Sunshine44 08:53 AM 08-03-2011
I think pull ups are easier, because you can pull them up and down. That being said, most kids look at them as diapers anyway.
SandeeAR 10:10 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do padded undies WITH plastic pants over the top I have never had any leakage so it works for me. I don't allow plain undies for sanitary reasons also.

The dck's wear diapers or pull-ups (which I personally think are dumb) and regardless of which they are wearing, they are changed the same way. Lying down.

Parents toilet train their own children and when the parent feels they are ready to start wearing undies they move to the padded undies WITH plastic covers. If they have more than two accidents during one day, they go back into diapers or pull-ups. (Which ever one the parent supplies)
This is my perfered method too.
Cat Herder 10:29 AM 08-03-2011
IMHO, Pull-Ups are more expensive, cause rash/irritation and leak like a sieve....

My policy is diapers until accident free 2 weeks in group care.
nannyde 12:23 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
IMHO, Pull-Ups are more expensive, cause rash/irritation and leak like a sieve....

My policy is diapers until accident free 2 weeks in group care.
I don't like pull ups. I do the same as above.
Christian Mother 12:41 PM 08-03-2011
I love the set up I have at home with my daycare here bc I have all wooden and tiled floor so I don't worry about sanitation very much. I have 4 boys under 3 which where all trained with in a month of each other well, almost and all where trained with undies. No pull ups other than nap time or bed time. The first week was commando and then we introduced undies after that with out shorts and then after the 2nd week shorts where put on. Each of the boys always asked for diapers or pull ups in the beginning bc it was scary for them and easier to go back to what they are comfortable with. I wouldn't allow it. Plus, if your dcg's parents are not using diapers or pull ups at home then I would follow their example. I would just ask for pull ups for nap time. It will prob. take you 2 wks to get in a routine with your dcg as she gets used to you and your home but it shouldn't be to hard and if she is having to many accidents in your home then you can try retraining her. The key is to not be stressed about the process otherwise that little girl will be.
Unregistered 09:46 AM 05-04-2012
Please help i have a DCK whos parents think is ready to be potty trained, i told the mum that she needs to take a couple of days off and start the training and i will follow. The week i was on vacation the mum had his back DC start his training, Now he is coming to me in pull ups as well, according to his mum he tells her at home and is in under wear at home, but at day care he never tells, he will sit in poop and it doesn't seem to bother him which i find really werid. I have told the mum time and again that he is not telling and every half an hour i take him to the bathroom on my own, she isn't believing me and thinks i don't take him to the bathroom. To make matters worse she doesn't buy the pull ups according to his weight ( the kid is really tall but very skinny) n because of that his pull ups leak all over the place. please advice what am i doing wrong. why won't the kid tell me. i have done everything from rewards n stickers, i even went and bought the same toilet sit he has it at home.
mac60 11:01 AM 05-04-2012
When a parent has worked with a child at home, and the child understands the concept of going potty, can recognize they need to go potty, can pull their own pants up and down, and will not scream and cry because they are told to go potty, then I will start working with them here.
DBug 11:31 AM 05-04-2012
To my way of thinking, the one advantage to pull-ups is that the kids can pull them up and down on their own. Here I have the kids take off their own diapers (when they're capable of it), but they can't put them back on themselves. It's just too hard (although they DO try!). With pull-ups they can do it completely on their own. IMO they are still diapers, BUT a HUGE part of potty training is learning the independence -- going through the motions of getting to the toilet, undressing, sitting and redressing. And that's why I allow pull-ups.

I have also done padded underwear and plastic covers, but it's harder for the kids to do it themselves, and it is messier than either pull-ups, diapers or cloth diapers, when they have a poop accident. I would much rather have a child in pull-ups than padded undies when they're almost trained, but not completely. It's just easier in a daycare setting, imo.
DaycareMama 03:11 PM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Blackcat do you mind linking the kind of plastic pants you use. I have one child who I THINK will benifit from that greatly. But I cant have the "leaking" sounds perfect
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
Blackcat do you mind linking the kind of plastic pants you use. I have one child who I THINK will benifit from that greatly. But I cant have the "leaking" sounds perfect
I buy these Gerber kind/brand. They contain any leaks and are easy up and down. They can be found at any of the big box stores like Walmart, Target and/or Kmart

http://bettysbabystuff.com/featured/...ants-4t-138936
daycare 03:19 PM 05-04-2012
I hate pull Ups!!!!

they are nothing more than fancy diapers......

i do feel however, that they are good to use if a child is in DC and is actually really READY to PT. It helps them learn to pull up and down just like underwear, something a diaper does not provide.

If the kid is just going to keep on pooping or peeing in them and not actually show progress towards being PT, then I will just put them back in diapers..

You are just throwing away money if you don't.....
Tags:diapers, diapers vs pull-ups, pull ups
Reply Up