Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time Out Pad
Blackcat31 10:17 AM 11-02-2011
This is a topic of discussion for our Caring for Infants & Toddlers Class. I think it is kind of cute but since I really don't use time-out, it would be pointless. Plus, who puts a kid in time-out and then doesn't watch him? It is funny though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XQWOHNgWg
melskids 10:22 AM 11-02-2011
yeah. ok. my kids would walk around with the the stupid thing, or sit and play with the buttons until it blew up
erinalexmom 01:35 PM 11-02-2011
What do you do instead blackcat? Im willing to try anything! Even a hog tie at this point! LOL J/K
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
What do you do instead blackcat? Im willing to try anything! Even a hog tie at this point! LOL J/K
I redirect for negative behaviors or try to give an alternate activity instead. If a child is "bad" so to speak, I try to show them the desired behavior, like gentle touch instead of hitting, or hugs instead of pushing. I also say "Use your words" alot and encourage all the kids to work out conflicts on their own.

For me, I get most my kids at an early age and just train them from the get go about acceptable and non-acceptable behaviors. I am also lucky enough to have a space big enough that when a child is not acting appropriately, they simply have to go play somewhere else or leave the group.

I suppose what action I take depends highly on the behavior that happened in the first place. I use a 1,2,3 method too so they know EXACTLY when action on my part is going to happen. 1) I remind them of the rule "Jimmy, we do not throw blocks." 2) I warn them of the consequence, "Jimmy, when you throw blocks, you will leave the block area." 3) Action, "Jimmy, you will need to find something else to do. Please go play in the other room."

I know that doesn't work in every situation but at least my kiddos all know when I get to 3, something is going to change/happen.

It definately helps too that I have really put alot of effort into making sure every kid I have enrolled in the last few years is a really good match for my program and if they aren't working out, it really doesn't matter how much I need the money because it isn't working out. kwim?
mismatchedsocks 01:49 PM 11-02-2011
That would be awesome for my own kids if I did time out! ( they are 13 and 9 now, but back when they were little!) I actually think thats a great idea, especially if the kid is there a while ( not daycare kids) so you can just leave them and ignore the bad behaviour.
daycare 01:55 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a topic of discussion for our Caring for Infants & Toddlers Class. I think it is kind of cute but since I really don't use time-out, it would be pointless. Plus, who puts a kid in time-out and then doesn't watch him? It is funny though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XQWOHNgWg
The children here don't do time out....I am the one who goes into time out.....lol

Do you think they have a bigger one for me?
nannyde 02:01 PM 11-02-2011
What a great toy to play with when you are supposed to be sitting. Lots of buttons to push, knobs to twirl, and lights/sound to set on and off... something to fling.

It won't be good for exacting time out but it will end up in the toy box as ANOTHER battery exciting toy.
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
What a great toy to play with when you are supposed to be sitting. Lots of buttons to push, knobs to twirl, and lights/sound to set on and off... something to fling.

It won't be good for exacting time out but it will end up in the toy box as ANOTHER battery exciting toy.
yeah, I wondered how long a kid would take to learn that if he lifts his butt some one will come running to check....that seems like a fun game all in itself!
Cat Herder 05:55 PM 11-02-2011
Hmmm.... Reverse psychology in the dramatic play area for baby dolls behaving badly...

Yep, it would be a hit toy, here.
Unregistered 07:24 AM 11-03-2011
OMG...how stupid is that! First, why would you want to give them the power to make an alarm go off when they're already out of control in the first place? Second, if I'm going to hand out a time-out, the child will NOT be sitting. They stand with their nose on the wall, hands to the side, with no crying, whining, or wiggling. Time-out is not fun at my house and the kids figure that out really quick.
Kaddidle Care 03:44 PM 11-03-2011
Oye! It's REAL! I thought this was a joke!
http://www.amazon.com/Time-Out-Pad-H.../dp/B001IMG5WG
Tags:funny, time out
Reply Up