Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you accept barefoot children or require footwear?
barefeet accepted 41 82.00%
socks/slippers at all times 3 6.00%
indoor shoes required 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Barefoot Children
Happy Hearts 10:34 AM 08-09-2012
I've been reading online some handbooks of various daycares and alot of them don't allow barefoot children. They require slippers that cannot be removed or indoor shoes at their home for sanitary reasons.

I personally love to be barefoot in my house in the summer. Do you have a policy or preference at your daycare?
countrymom 10:37 AM 08-09-2012
barefeet in my home, BUT, I would like it if the parents would make sure that their feet are clean before coming to my house (I vented about it a few weeks ago about dcb's dirty feet) having black bottom feet is really disrespectful, especially since I try and keep my house clean.
daycarediva 10:38 AM 08-09-2012
barefoot! I HATE socks, my kids HATE socks, and to be honest, I have a hard enough time keeping shoes on some of the daycare kids outside, much less socks indoors. They always peel them off and stuff them in shoes (or in toys before I catch them ) LOL!

I clean my floors at naptime and at the end of the day, so I try to make it as sanitary as possible.
SunflowerMama 10:38 AM 08-09-2012
We are always barefoot...all of us. Kids take their shoes off first thing and sometimes don't even touch them again until pick-up. Most of the year outside time is barefoot too.
lil angels 10:39 AM 08-09-2012
I don't allow shoes in the house. I think I should be wearing shoes inside though I think my feet are getting wider. I don't know my shoes don't sem to fit the same. Any how I do like the kids in socks in the winter because my floors are cold. I don't allow bare feet outside I don't want to have to wash everyone's feet before we come in everyday.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:48 AM 08-09-2012
Barefoot season is short in Massachusetts, but we're barefoot as often as we possibly can!
PitterPatter 10:55 AM 08-09-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
barefeet in my home, BUT, I would like it if the parents would make sure that their feet are clean before coming to my house (I vented about it a few weeks ago about dcb's dirty feet) having black bottom feet is really disrespectful, especially since I try and keep my house clean.
I agree! But recent clients socks were more filthy that bare feet! So it depends for me. I made the no shoes in the house rule when I got new carpet a while back but after seeing some kids socks dirtier than the shoes it grossed me out. What's the point... So sometimes I would have to remove the socks and even wash the feet to avoid whatever getting on my carpet.

I am barefoot all the time ( I am a WV hillbilly afterall ) even winter I usually only have socks on all day
countrymom 11:21 AM 08-09-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I agree! But recent clients socks were more filthy that bare feet! So it depends for me. I made the no shoes in the house rule when I got new carpet a while back but after seeing some kids socks dirtier than the shoes it grossed me out. What's the point... So sometimes I would have to remove the socks and even wash the feet to avoid whatever getting on my carpet.

I am barefoot all the time ( I am a WV hillbilly afterall ) even winter I usually only have socks on all day
you know whats even grosser, most of these kids go to sleep with dirty feet in their bed, a bed should be a clean sanitary place. Also, I can just imagine how dirty their floors are in their houses.
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 08-09-2012
13 people have voted and I am the lone vote for socks/slippers at all times vote.

I HATE bare feet. It has nothing to do with safety or anything required by our licensing rules or whatever....it is all just me. I simply hate bare feet. I think they are gross and kinda icky.

I have ALL my DCK's wear slippers or clean socks while in the house . I have parents bring several pairs to leave in the kid's baskets so we always have a fresh supply.

I have no reasons......well not logical ones.......just that I HATE bare feet in my house, on or near me so I don't allow it. I go bare footed in my own shoes/flip-flops during summer months but never barefooted outside or inside. I even keep my flip-flops on while swimming

Feet are gross.
youretooloud 12:43 PM 08-09-2012
They usually come over in or with shoes, but I don't care either way. We even go outside barefoot in the winter. (not in the summer)
melissa ann 04:36 PM 08-09-2012
When I did dc, kids went barefoot in the house. Most of them didn't even wear socks with their shoes anyway. For me and my own kids. we are always barefooted from around March/April-Sept/Oct, inside or out. I always tell my kids that feet are easier to clean then socks: )
Crazy8 05:58 PM 08-09-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
13 people have voted and I am the lone vote for socks/slippers at all times vote.

I HATE bare feet. It has nothing to do with safety or anything required by our licensing rules or whatever....it is all just me. I simply hate bare feet. I think they are gross and kinda icky.

I have ALL my DCK's wear slippers or clean socks while in the house . I have parents bring several pairs to leave in the kid's baskets so we always have a fresh supply.

I have no reasons......well not logical ones.......just that I HATE bare feet in my house, on or near me so I don't allow it. I go bare footed in my own shoes/flip-flops during summer months but never barefooted outside or inside. I even keep my flip-flops on while swimming

Feet are gross.
I thought I was going to be the only one saying no bare feet then I saw your response.

I think I'm probably one of the only daycares that requires shoes in the house -
I don't even like slippers/socks because I have wood floors and they are too slippery. I tried socks/slippers when we first moved here and I didn't want my floors ruined with shoes but it didn't last very long.

Personally, I need to wear sneakers - barefoot or even sandals/flip flops kill my knees after more than a few hours.
renodeb 06:54 AM 08-10-2012
I would like to comment on my answer. I would gladly take a child thats bare footed but they have to have proper shoes for going outside. Personaly I 'am always bare foot inside. I have heard about dc's that require slippers inside. Personaly tht would drive me nuts. If my dc kids want to be without shoes while inside thats fine but they have to put there shoes up where they can be found at the end of the day, outside time etc.
Debbie
cheerfuldom 09:19 AM 08-10-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Feet are gross.

this is me. The daycare kids wear socks and/or shoes at all times mostly because it is annoying to put shoes on and off every time we go in and out or locate lost shoes and socks. plus my kids seem to have an issue with putting feet on each other, on furniture, ewwww! they dont do this when shoes are on.

my own kids go out barefoot and are barefoot most of the time, that doesnt bother me.

i have back issues and wear New Balance tennis during daycare hours. Barefoot and pregnant is a very bad idea....physically speaking with regard to back and foot issues.
laundrymom 09:20 AM 08-10-2012
Add me to the barefoot crew. Lol. I even have 6 pair of these. Lol because I HATE shoes.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
itlw8 09:43 AM 08-10-2012
my kids wear shoes inside. not indoor shoes. Regular shoes. We wipe our feet as we enter. It is not common around here to have a no shoe rule in peoples houses. We must have less mud or something.

I used to make the kids leave shoes on outdoors because of stepping on a bee or the pea gravel on the playgroud got hot. This year with the new rubber mulch and getting rid of the clover I let them go barefoot if the parents are alright with it.

I take a bath nightly but my feet are black bottom by noon if not sooner. I wear sandals but go in the garden and out in the yard.

No I am not offended if someone think my barefeet are gross. I would never put my shoes of barefeet on anyones furniture.

I was offended once when I went to a meeting at a ladies house. She had a no shoe rule.... fine... but no one knew it. I would have worn thick socks and not hose if I knew. Her house was chilly and she had nice warm slippers on. We were all cold. One man had a hold in his sock and was embarrassed. Got to say the meeting was short and we NEVER met at her house again.
Tags:barefeet
Reply Up