Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? Advice Please
Nickel 12:38 PM 08-24-2012
So I had a lady call me regarding my craigslist ad. It's a part timer tues and thurs half day. It was half day and she was super nice for a 15 mnth old. I offered her $40. So we set up an interview for Monday at 1030.

Now I talked to my friend who is also doing child care and was my daughters provider. She's having a hard time finding children too and hasn't gotten any calls until today apparently! The same lady called her and set up an interview! My friend really needs the money. I didnt have the heart to tell her she contacted me too!

What would you do? I feel so bad because she doesn't have my dd anymore and she's my friend. Advice PLEASE!!!
daycare 12:56 PM 08-24-2012
well heres the thing. you need to decide if the mom is right for your program as does your friend. I do believe that in the end, it will be up to the parent to decide which place is right for their child.

I have a local friend too and we run into this all the time. My program is not better than hers or vice versa, it's just want the parents are looking for she may offer and I don't, goes both ways.

Maybe you should talk to your friend and let her know the truth instead of hiding it from her.
DaisyMamma 01:51 PM 08-24-2012
You should tell her that the woman contacted you too. Go from there.
Nickel 02:29 PM 08-24-2012
I know I should but I'm such a chicken!!! I hate confrontation, I mean really hate it. And I would feel awful if the mom chose my program over hers. But she needs the money more than I do. And she's gotten barely any interviews. Ok. I guess I'll talk to her on Monday. I at least have the weekend to muster up the courage!
Loveyoustinkyface 02:36 PM 08-24-2012
You could back out of the interview if you wanted to give your friend a better chance.... But, I don't know, I think you should just call your friend and tell her you got a call too from the same family and will be interviewing them also. You could also tell the family that you are very good friends with the other provider and give her glowing (honest) reviews. And see how it all unfolds from there.....
Blackcat31 03:02 PM 08-24-2012
It is up to the mom which provider/program she wants to enroll in.

I also NEVER tell any other provider that I interviewed with a family. I consider that confidential information. What if this mom has daycare but is shopping around for other providers?

I think you should do the interview, let your friend do her interview and let the mom decide which place best meets her needs.
busymomof2 03:10 PM 08-24-2012
I really don't know what the big deal is. Just tell her she called you too. You don't have to add that she called you first. You are going to be competing for the same kids if your in the same area. I'm sure she has to know that. Plus if I was the mom, I would like to have more than one choice and not just get a provider because she needs the money more than the other. Good luck...I hate confrontation too but if she is a friend it doesn't have to be confrontation just a conversation between two friends.
Heidi 03:35 PM 08-24-2012
here's you:

"HI BFF, it's me, Nickel. We have sort of an akward situation here, and it occured to me we've never talked about how we'd deal with it. I got a daycare call, and it turns out, it's the same lady you have an interview with...so...that's bound to come up again, and I don't want us to be wierd about it. How do YOU think we should handle these things?"'

Set up some ground rules. Like, can you do sub care for each other? Once one of you is full, how about giving each other's names out? Or, if you have only openings for an over 2, and she can take a baby, you could give her name out, and vs. versa.
Nickel 06:29 PM 08-24-2012
Thank you all for the great responses! It turns out that she called me this evening and asked if I had an interview with this lady named x. Relief. We just kind of laughed it off, but yes, I do like that Hiedi! I never thought to put it that way. Next time I talk to her I will definitely have this conversation. i would much rather air it out now then when it does get awkward! And we are each others backup provider and in an emergency she can come to my house and watch the children and I would do the same for her. We'd be over ratio, but in an emergency it's better that someone is there to care for the kids at all, kwim, And she is my back up if I get sick and she has spots available IF the parents want to use her. We also take field trips together, go to the park, etc. This way we can take both groups and have two eyes. (and we get group dicsounts lol)

Again, thank you. i agree with what everyone said. And blackcat. yes, that does make sense. We chit chat back and forth about interviews and such, but we don't discuss names or anything. it's more venting, like I do here then actual information. Sigh. and you are right. It isn't confrontation, it's conversation! lol
BumbleBee 06:32 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It is up to the mom which provider/program she wants to enroll in.

I also NEVER tell any other provider that I interviewed with a family. I consider that confidential information. What if this mom has daycare but is shopping around for other providers?

I think you should do the interview, let your friend do her interview and let the mom decide which place best meets her needs.
This, exactly this.
Reply Up