Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation Time & Contracts
CatClubhouse 02:09 AM 10-11-2010
Hello! I just stumbled across this forum and I must say, I'm pretty thrilled. I'm fairly new to the childcare field, I've been a licensed family childcare provider for about 5 months now. I love what I do, and I'm excited to have found a place to connect with like minded providers

I do have one question that you might be able to help me with.... When I first created my contract I stated that I would be taking 2 weeks vacation at Christmas time. When I wrote this I meant for this to be "paid vacation time", however, I neglected to include this in the contract. This has just been brought to my attention by my husband and I'm at a loss for what to do. Should I bring it up with my families and ask them to resign (but risk that they say no) or do I ignore it until closer to and deal with it when the time comes? I don't want to lose my families or my paid vacation.. What do I do?
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 10-11-2010
If I ever need to add or change something (which is okay, because we never know what our policies will or should be until a situation occurs) I usually just print up something up in a short note letting parents know of the additional info and have them read and sign it and I tuck the note into their folders. Just say something like..."It has come to my attention, that I need to clarify Christmas vacation rates..." or " I recently noticed that I did not add_____________ to my contract in regards to vacation payments." I think it is a fairly normal thing for child cares to charge for vacations or days off. Not everyone does it, but I doubt you will lose parents over it. Especially if they feel they have found a provider they like and trust, most parents are perfectly willing to pay to keep something good.
MarinaVanessa 08:03 AM 10-11-2010
Yes, what BlackCat said. I recently had an issue with wording on something in my contract that apparently wasn't clear to a DCM so I wrote a notice to all of my families that said something along the lines of "Upon reviewing my policies I have decided to change the verbage to clarify this information..." And then ask the parents to keep this notice. If you are changing a policy then I would give a two weeks notice of effectiveness and give a date. "These changes will be in full effect as of [date]".
CatClubhouse 08:11 AM 10-12-2010
That sounds like a great idea. It's always good to hear what someone else in my situation has done in the past! I'll print something out now. Thank you both for your response
MommyMuffin 08:23 AM 10-12-2010
Please let me know how this turns out. Right now I do not take paid vacation. I dont know if I ever will because I dont know how parents can afford to pay providers and someone else to watch their child, I know I could not. I would like to maybe do a 1/2 rate or something.
hall8385 10:05 AM 10-12-2010
i agree i do the same i have no paid time off besides x mas day and thanksgiving day....
Tags:agreement, contract, vacation
Reply Up