Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand, Foot and Mouth?
Butter Biskets 06:43 PM 07-07-2014
So this is the fourth official day for my newest dayhome family, and the mom called me saying that she thinks her baby has hfam and is basically blaming my other families daughter because she happened to have a fever and what they said were mosquito bites, but new mom thinks it was hfam blisters. I am freaking out and feel really bad, but nothing has been confirmed yet. I have copied the symptoms for exclusion form from here and will be handing it out tomorrow. I don't know why I feel so bad, especially since nothing has been confirmed by a doctor, but you know, mothers instincts are usually right. I just don't know how to proceed with dealing with the families. Do you have any suggestions of what I should do?
Michael 07:16 PM 07-07-2014
More threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...foot+and+mouth

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...foot+and+mouth
Butter Biskets 07:29 PM 07-07-2014
Thanks Michael!
NightOwl 10:09 PM 07-07-2014
HFM is contagious before the child shows any symptoms. There really is NO WAY to know a child has it until it's too late and everyone has already been exposed. That being said, HFM is really not a huge deal. It's a virus. That's it. Kids can pick it up from the grocery cart at Walmart. It sounds way more intimidating than it is.
nannyde 07:34 AM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
HFM is contagious before the child shows any symptoms. There really is NO WAY to know a child has it until it's too late and everyone has already been exposed. That being said, HFM is really not a huge deal. It's a virus. That's it. Kids can pick it up from the grocery cart at Walmart. It sounds way more intimidating than it is.
My one experience with HFM was a BIG deal. It was wicked. I had four little boys who had it and one parent got it. It was a cleaning nightmare and the kids got REALLY sick with it. The mom had it so bad her hands were like a burn victim.

The boys were in horrible pain. The blisters erupted over many days. They couldn't eat, drink, sleep.

One had to go get iv fluids and pain meds.

Nightmare
Leigh 07:44 AM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My one experience with HFM was a BIG deal. It was wicked. I had four little boys who had it and one parent got it. It was a cleaning nightmare and the kids got REALLY sick with it. The mom had it so bad her hands were like a burn victim.

The boys were in horrible pain. The blisters erupted over many days. They couldn't eat, drink, sleep.

One had to go get iv fluids and pain meds.

Nightmare
I had it myself as an adult. It was misery. I had to gargle a lidocaine gel just to be able to swallow a drink of water and get through the day without crying. I don't take it lightly-it was extremely painful.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:31 AM 07-08-2014
I had a little one with it... day after his last day. Mom did call to tell me she took him in.
I was scared because it is summer and we had water play. But, thankfully no one else got it. I was shocked! Doc told me most adults are immune.
Leigh 09:57 AM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Doc told me most adults are immune.
That's what I thought, too, until I got sick. I was a waitressing at night when I got it. Probably from one of those considerate mom's who say "here...and stick their kid's snotty kleenex in your hand before you even know what's coming!".
Butter Biskets 07:34 PM 07-09-2014
Ya, it sucks alright. It wouldn't be too bad, except it was a new family - only 4 days in and the mothers "I'm cool, it happens, but really I am not and I am judging you and the other family" attitude. I feel guilty but really, my house is clean and IF the original baby even had it, I feel bad that I didn't see any symptoms (not that I even had experience with this disease before), but new mom sure thinks that it originated from baby 1 and is seeing "all the signs" even though they are nothing like the infected baby. I just can't wait until this passes and we can move on. I am also praying my boys don't catch it as my youngest is heading off to summer camp next weekend. Gah!!!
Kelly 05:55 PM 07-14-2014
I think I may have my first case of this too. DCB went home early with a fever a Friday. Today he seemed fine but kept telling me his mouth hurt. He had a red spot on the roof of his mouth and some blisters on his tongue. He also has some red bumps on his bottom but none on his hand and feet so far. I let his mom know but said he could stay the rest of the day since he's my only dck. I figure I've already been exposed and my own kids who are grown (but still live at home) don't have much contact with him. But I am cancerned about cleaning/disinfecting since my daycare area is also my family room and we are leaving for vacation Friday and I want to make sure none of us end up with it. Is bleach my best option?
Butter Biskets 06:01 PM 07-14-2014
I've been bleaching. I have done toys, cupboards, tables, chairs and anything else that may have been contaminated, also handles and light switches. No one else has gotten it yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
TwinKristi 08:01 PM 07-14-2014
Did she have it confirmed?

Sadly with almost ALL contagious illnesses the children are most contagious before showing real distinguishable (excludable) symptoms. Low grade fever can be teething or a virus. Little spots can be mosquito bites or a rash. It's hard to know! Don't beat yourself up about it. I have 1 DCB out with a viral fever that went through my kids and my friend who was staying here over the 4th's kids. He's missed 2 full days and half a day today and possibly tomorrow. When my kids had it I had dh stay home and kept them in the back bedroom away from the daycare. 2 DCKs got it I'm assuming from before I knew my DS was even sick and before DCB was excludable. Just part of kids going to daycare. We can clean our fingers to the bone but viruses are very sneaky and will do anything to survive and spread!!
Butter Biskets 04:56 PM 07-15-2014
Yes it was confirmed but after dcm accused my other baby of passing it on. She said yesterday, I think it was, that she was at a wedding the weekend before the outbreak and that every child at the wedding caught HFMD, so it did NOT come from my house. I resent the condescending attitude she had and the other dcf does too. The only thing I am grateful for was A) that she kept the baby home as soon as she suspected something and B) that it gave me the opportunity to implement the Symptoms for Exclusion notice that I got from here. Now at least I am covered should anything happen in the future.

Just for the record though, I have started using a bleach solution to sanitize daily, in addition to the the usual multi purpose cleaner I had been using. I am not licensed so I didn't have all the rules to follow, even though I try to follow most of them anyways.
Indianadaycare 06:49 PM 07-22-2014
I just found out I am dealing with this as well. Four month old dcg would not drink her bottle 2x today and was just miserable. When mom picked her up, I told her she might have an ear infection (was rubbing side of her head) and I suggested taking her in to after care. Thankfully, she did, and she just texted me that the dr. said "she has a really sore throat with spots on it. It may be a virus but she isn't running a temp..." Wanted to know if she should keep her home or bring her to dc. I said Keep home!! Then I asked about hfm; did the dr. mention that? She texted back "dr. said she looks like she's past the contagious stage bc there's no fever... she wasn't for sure it was hfm, but thought that it might be since she had a single spot on her hand and throat looks like it does."
GLAD I ASKED! Oh my. I have another small infant and a 13 month old that drools, coughs, and sneezes (mom says allergies) all over. ugh!

How long should I ask mom to keep her home?? Never been through this before, and it's only her second week!

BTW, 13 month dck had (has?) three red spots on the side of his tummy that I noticed yesterday. When I asked mom what they were, she said mosquito bites. Do you think this was/is the same virus? He was miserable today, coughing terribly, crying, runny nose, etc but they say it was cuz he popped a couple of teeth (true).

Also, do I call the other parents to notify them? The other small infant (3 mo) just started Monday! Mom was a nervous wreck to leave him.... Oh, I dread this.

I sanitize everything all the time (bleach solution with any toy that goes in a mouth and clorox wipe counters, high chair tray, etc) and wash hands constantly!
I'm bummed! thinking I should have somehow prevented this...
Butter Biskets 07:10 PM 07-22-2014
It is not your fault! If more than one child had it, then yeah, I would understand, but if no one else has it, I would try not to take it personally. I am only saying that because I felt guilty too, thinking that my house wasn't clean enough or something, but really, my house is crazy clean, especially considering I have a dc.

My dcm knew all about hfmd and as soon as she recognized the symptoms, she kept her home for the entire week. All in all, dcg was sick for the 5 weekdays and a weekend. Once the blisters heal over, it is only contagious via stool.

I would and did tell the other parents so that they will know what to look out for. Luckily it was only the one dcg, so I was very lucky and I felt less guilty because it obviously didn't come from my place. (Thank God!)
Indianadaycare 07:18 PM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by KellyinCalgary:
It is not your fault! If more than one child had it, then yeah, I would understand, but if no one else has it, I would try not to take it personally. I am only saying that because I felt guilty too, thinking that my house wasn't clean enough or something, but really, my house is crazy clean, especially considering I have a dc.

My dcm knew all about hfmd and as soon as she recognized the symptoms, she kept her home for the entire week. All in all, dcg was sick for the 5 weekdays and a weekend. Once the blisters heal over, it is only contagious via stool.

I would and did tell the other parents so that they will know what to look out for. Luckily it was only the one dcg, so I was very lucky and I felt less guilty because it obviously didn't come from my place. (Thank God!)
I've been emailing dcm tonight, and she is wonderful! Will keep her home until I say she can come back; "I wouldn't want other moms bringing their sick kids to daycare..." etc. Oh, i wish all dcp were like her! She thinks dcb may have gotten it from her previous daycare. (This is only her second week with me)

So, I need to tell the other parents, eh? sigh I hate this part....
Butter Biskets 07:32 PM 07-22-2014
Oh, I get the only second week here thing too! This family was a new family and we were only heading onto day 4 when this happened. I am so happy your mom is so understanding! It definitely makes things easier - a huge sigh of relief!
SignMeUp 07:44 PM 07-22-2014
I have a case here too! Child caught it for the second time this spring/summer because apparently it is caused by several different viruses.
His ped said it is EVERYWHERE this time of year, and mom says he probably caught it at one of the parks she's taken him to.

He's only here one day a week for the summer. He's going to stay home this week. Doctor said he can return after fever is gone -- I told mom NO. He can come back 24 hours after fever, fussiness, any diarrhea are gone, spots are scabbed, and he is eating normally.

CDC website says that the first week is the most contagious, and it is spread through nose & throat secretions, feces and open sores. They can be contagious for weeks after symptoms are gone.

I thought staying out for one week was reasonable, given all of the above, and because I also have infants in care.

Mom agreed to keep him home. She did last time too. I thought she would fuss the second time around, but she didn't
Tags:foot and mouth, hand foot and mouth
Reply Up