Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant help Please!
Shell 05:37 AM 08-19-2014
I had a new baby 5 mos start 3 weeks ago. Dcm described her as a dream baby, super easy going, takes a bottle (formula), and naps easily. First week, she was exactly as described. 2nd week- pure misery! Dcg's tooth broke through, but she was ok with Tylenol towards end of week. This week, ok, but needs to be held/ rocked to sleep-which is nearly impossible for the duration this requires. Dcd mentioned she is fighting sleep at home, and she's clearly exhausted here, but fights until after 10 am to stay up. I tried putting her down immediately today,!and she's currently screaming. They also fed her at a little before 7, so I will try bottle and nap in a second. I just don't want parents to feel like she is all off behavior wise due to the daycare. Help!
Heidi 06:39 AM 08-19-2014
Just stay consistent, honey. She will catch on. Personally, I am in the "schedule" camp, and at 5 months, would have her on a schedule. Not a down-to-the-minute schedule, but a predictable routine that fits with the group.

As for crying to sleep, I don't have an issue with that, and have long-since stopped feeling guilty about it. Some kids just need to cry a bit first. Not for hours on end, of course. Some just need a bit of a pressure release, I think.

The only other thing I can think of, though, is have they had her ears checked? Mine always got ear infections with new teeth.
Shell 09:08 AM 08-19-2014
Thanks, Heidi! Great advice. I don't usually take infants, except for siblings. I think she was highly over-tired. She napped for over an hour (hallelujah), and is in better spirits.
Indianadaycare 11:41 AM 08-19-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
I had a new baby 5 mos start 3 weeks ago. Dcm described her as a dream baby, super easy going, takes a bottle (formula), and naps easily. First week, she was exactly as described. 2nd week- pure misery! Dcg's tooth broke through, but she was ok with Tylenol towards end of week. This week, ok, but needs to be held/ rocked to sleep-which is nearly impossible for the duration this requires. Dcd mentioned she is fighting sleep at home, and she's clearly exhausted here, but fights until after 10 am to stay up. I tried putting her down immediately today,!and she's currently screaming. They also fed her at a little before 7, so I will try bottle and nap in a second. I just don't want parents to feel like she is all off behavior wise due to the daycare. Help!
Hang in there! She will continue to adjust to you and her new surroundings. At her age, she is old enough to do fine on a set routine. Decide the routine (nap time, etc) and stick to it. It may involve some crying at first, but with my infants, within 2-3 days, they caught on, and now go down for naps very well. My suggestion is to NOT hold/rock her to sleep. That is usually not practical in a daycare setting and you are training her to expect that in order to fall asleep.

If you put her down the same way every nap time, she will come to understand that it's time to nap and fall asleep more quickly each time. (Assuming you have watched for signs of drowsiness before you begin the nap routine: rubbing eyes, yawning, being more "still" during her play time, a dazed faraway look, etc) I put my babies down awake, but drowsy. It took them a few days to adjust when they first came, (this is not done the same way at home), and they did cry when put down drowsy but awake, but now they know that when I start the "nap routine": go into the quiet, darker room, turn on the noise machine, quietly change their diaper, and rock them for (no more than) 3 minutes, that it means sleep time is coming. Even if wakeful prior to this, by the time my rocking time is up, their eyes are closed! (not asleep yet, but sleepy)

The key is consistency (which I know is challenging when you have diff age groups you care for) and watching her for her particular signs of drowsiness, and immediately going into nap routine when you see this. At this age, it's usually between 1.5-2 hours from when they last woke up - not as long as you would think!

Another tip. I know there are different opinions on this, but for the AM nap especially (which is usually the longest nap of the day at her age) I give baby a bottle as soon as I see signs of drowsiness or if I know her nap time is approaching. I do this so they don't wake from hunger in an hour. Works like a dream for me - they all take aprox 3 hour AM naps. (I have just infants.)

Good luck!
Shell 02:41 PM 08-19-2014
Thank you! I thought a lot about how both if you mentioned putting her on a schedule. I was kind of following dcg's clues, but it's been a disaster. I'm going to try what worked today- 9 and 1ish- seemed to work. A.m nap was only 1 hour and some change- but better than yesterday. Pm nap was only 40 mins, but with a predictable schedule, this should increase in time. Thank you both for takingng the time to respond with such excellent advice!
Cradle2crayons 07:45 PM 08-19-2014
I agree with the others.

If it makes you feel better, the first week is often a "honeymoon period" and after that, their true selves emerge.

Also, it's also common for their home routine to not match their daycare routine. It's fine to know their home schedule of course, but parents need to know our schedule may not match their schedule.

Babies that age tend to be more grumpy as their routines re changed. Not to mention being overtired is the WORST.

if the 9 nd 1 is going good but not unite the schedule you need or want, just adjust it by five minutes every other day or so until it gets where you want.

Good luck and be consistent. You are doing great.
Tags:infant - easy method, infant - schedule
Reply Up