Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sand/Water/Sensory Tables
Thriftylady 04:17 PM 03-19-2015
How do you do these indoors without the mess being out of control? I wouldn't have such an issue but we rent and the whole house except the tiny kitchen is carpet. Even both bathrooms and the dining room. I HATE carpet and if I owned the house wouldn't have it. But since I do I want to find a way around it.
kendallina 04:45 PM 03-19-2015
I have a small sensory table and allow only 3 children to play there at the same time (partly because it's not big and partly to control the mess). My playroom is completely carpeted, so I put a vinyl tablecloth that I cut to fit under the sensory table. It has a nice flannel-type backing on it, so it stays in place really well on the carpet and it only costs $5 at walmart.

ETA: I do the same thing under my art table (that we paint at and do tons of messy stuff at), but am considering buying a couple of large melamine boards for under the art table to make clean up easier.
Thriftylady 04:48 PM 03-19-2015
Thanks. I am thinking mine won't stay out but be done in tubs. I have sensory rice that I did that with, but it was my two school agers so the mess was more controlled. Unless I find a small table to use. I really want to find some cool toys to go with the stuff.
scorp122 05:39 PM 03-19-2015
I just bought a sensory table off of amazon in January for $50, best investment ever!! So far we've had water beads, kinetic sand, popcorn seeds and right now easter items!! The kids love it, esp my 2 yr old boy, he plays all his tractor in all of it. When they use the table i usually sit right there and remind them to play over the table, they make a little mess, but not as bad as i thought it would be. Usually it's the school age that make the most mess, because i don't sit right there reminding them
AmyKidsCo 06:26 PM 03-19-2015
#1. I don't do water. We do water outside all the time so they get it then.
#2. I put a big sheet under the table before they play in it, then gather it up after. It's a little awkward, but not too hard to dump everything back into the sensory bin.
#3. I get out the vacuum right after they're done. It's our regular routine so they know to back off and give me room.
Josiegirl 02:46 AM 03-20-2015
Oh those are all good ideas! One of those 'why didn't I think of that' moments! My dcks love the sensory table but right now it's in my basement because using it and cleaning up after it was a big pain for me. Plus the dcks like to jump on/off it.
I'll have to check out tablecloths and/or sheets this weekend to help contain the mess.
I did try using my smaller sensory bin on the kitchen floor this week, colored rice and plastic easter eggs. That became a big mess.
mommiebookworm 05:53 AM 03-20-2015
I put a shower curtain under ours. And before we start playing I remind them of the rules. 1. No throwing 2. Keep it on the shower curtain.
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 03-20-2015
Put your rice, sand and/or water tables in a child sized pool.

Use a blow up type if you don't have room for the plastic ones.

All the mess is contained and the clean up is EASY!
Indianadaycare 09:03 AM 04-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Put your rice, sand and/or water tables in a child sized pool.

Use a blow up type if you don't have room for the plastic ones.

All the mess is contained and the clean up is EASY!
Love this idea! My 13 and 15 month dcks are needing more activities now, and this sensory table stuff fits the bill. Outdoors I also have a sand box, wading pool, climber, water table. But it's the indoor sensory ideas I needed... was unsure because of the mess involved. Thanks everyone!
Tags:sensory - sand, sensory - water, sensory bins, sensory table
Reply Up