Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What would you do?
Indianadaycare 08:30 AM 08-25-2015
I have a 12 month old who is here for just a few weeks while his main caregiver (Gma & Gpa) are on vacation. He took a while to adjust (understandably) but came with a runny nose, and within a week, we all had colds. Anyway, this is his third week and his nose is worse, running everywhere; gross... I can't keep it wiped fast enough! He is crying anytime I can't hold him. He has never been taught to self soothe; literally his mom sleeps with him ON HER at night and still nurses him every TWO HOURS I'm not kidding. In 25 years, I've heard a lot, but not this.
Would you send him home early? I have texted his mom and said he acts like he feels punk (she called the nurse who said its probably allergies and give him Claritin) and be prepared in case she needs to come pick him up. The thing is, if I pick him up, he will stop crying. But I have two other little ones who need me too. Right now they are sleeping while he is crying in his pnp. Advice please!
childcaremom 08:32 AM 08-25-2015
I would send home.

I just had to do similar last week. She was teething but was happy if I held her. Can't do it Parents were fine.

He needs to be held. He needs to go home.

Whenever I second guess myself, I start my mantra: group care, group care, group care. Reassures me
finsup 08:38 AM 08-25-2015
In my sick policy "persistent runny nose" is something I exclude for. A runny nose is no big deal but it's all the time, getting on others and stuff etc and I can't keep up, you're going home? Chances are they are clingy/whiny at that point too and can't participate in normal daycare activities (another reason to exclude). But yeah, sounds like mom needs to come. I know the families I have now would want me to call them if it was their child but I amazingly enough have all awesome families right now heh.
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Indianadaycare:
I have a 12 month old who is here for just a few weeks while his main caregiver (Gma & Gpa) are on vacation. He took a while to adjust (understandably) but came with a runny nose, and within a week, we all had colds. Anyway, this is his third week and his nose is worse, running everywhere; gross... I can't keep it wiped fast enough! He is crying anytime I can't hold him. He has never been taught to self soothe; literally his mom sleeps with him ON HER at night and still nurses him every TWO HOURS I'm not kidding. In 25 years, I've heard a lot, but not this.
Would you send him home early? I have texted his mom and said he acts like he feels punk (she called the nurse who said its probably allergies and give him Claritin) and be prepared in case she needs to come pick him up. The thing is, if I pick him up, he will stop crying. But I have two other little ones who need me too. Right now they are sleeping while he is crying in his pnp. Advice please!
I would do what you would or would've done in any other situation when a child is acting/feeling like that.

I assume the complication is that he is a temp kid and you are wanting to be as accommodating as possible?

Either way, I'd do what you would normally do. Send him home.

The reason/cause behind his behavior is neither your responsibility or liability to address.
nannyde 09:34 AM 08-25-2015
What allergies are on his medical information enrollment forms? Did you ask when he was tested and what type of testing they used? Do you have doctor's verification he HAS allergies?

If he has allergies you must know EXACTLY what he is allergic to, when it was diagnosed, what type of testing they did, and what medication ordered by the DOCTOR with dosage, times, and side effects.

If the nurse said it's most likely allergies and.you don't have dr verified tested allergies then he needs to go home. You can't have a kid in your home that has allergies without knowing EXACTLY what he is allergic to. You could be unwittingly exposing him to something that males him SO SICK he acts like this.

I don't know why a nurse would suggest allergies unless she could see a record in front of her with known tested allergic reactions.
Reply Up