Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you do for kids when they leave your daycare on good terms?
Indoorvoice 09:11 AM 12-28-2014
I am the member formally known as altandra if you don't recognize me! I have a family whose last day was last Friday, but they ended up not coming due to the flu going through my house. I LOVE this family and they left me on good terms (mom lost her job and no longer needed me). I sent them a DVD slideshow with pictures I took throughout the year, but that's about it. I didn't even really get to say goodbye to them and I'm feeling kind of bad about it. I was thinking of posting a goodbye on my daycare Facebook page, but not sure if the family would like everyone in my daycare knowing that they are leaving. Is this appropriate or should I just leave it alone? What do you do for good families when they leave?
Learning Daycare 09:59 AM 12-28-2014
I think it was really thoughtful of you to send a DVD. I'm sure that meant a lot to the family and to you because there are no ill feelings. I would just send a letter/email thanking the family for the amount of time they spent in your care, being respectful of your business and if anything changes, you would be more than willing to provide care again.
KidGrind 10:18 AM 12-28-2014
I say goodbye and wish them well.
permanentvacation 10:55 AM 12-28-2014
All I do is hug them, tell them I'm going to miss them, and cry a little.
SignMeUp 11:54 AM 12-28-2014
We usually have a little send-off party on the child's last day, but given the illness, I would let that go.
I'd send them a card thanking them for choosing you to care for their children, a little note to the child, and maybe include some stickers or a little bookmark or something for the child - if that is something you'd have done on their last day with you.
cheerfuldom 07:28 PM 12-28-2014
I would just leave it alone. They are off to a new situation and you have nothing to feel guilty about. This is a business relationship at its core so there is nothing wrong with what has happened here. They didnt need you anymore and they had no problem leaving you.....so you really shouldnt worry about doing anything further. The DVD was a kind thought. I might send a follow up email just to thank them again for being so wonderful to work with and welcoming them back should mom get a new job and should you have the spot open.
Unregistered 09:02 PM 12-28-2014
I'd just leave it alone. Times are hard now and the mother might have a hard time finding a new job. I know you are wishing her the best, but she might feel more anxiety if you keep emailing her. Remember she had to give up your care. It wasn't a choice. I was really close to the lady at my former salon who used to do my hair and nails. We were so close I actually called her up when my neighbor moved and she got the home next door to me. Over the years, we got so close that I watched her child for free. Literally for free. I never even accepted when she wanted to style my hair or nails for free. I always gave a 20% tip. Things were so good with DH's job and I was doing this just for spending money. We were by no means rich. Then, my FIL got cancer and didn't have health insurance. While we still had our jobs and home, every PENNY that wasn't for some sort of bill went to my FIL. Everything we had in CDs and our saving account was also put towards his medical bills. I thank God every day, DH didn't lose his job. Our checking account would have five dollars in it every month, because that's the minimum you could have without it closing. Do you know what's like to tell your kids no when they want a dollar slice of pizza? Imagine that feeling combined with everyone you know always reminding you about it. I know it's just well wishing, but it's super annoying. When you're in that situation, any instant your able to escape is pure joy. For two years, I had to go out of my way to avoid my neighbor. I also had to term her child, because she had relative who would watch her child for free. After my FIL passed, I didn't continue going back to that salon. It was always brought up. Again, not in a malice way. They were praising me. It was a difficult time emotionally and financially. I hated having to relive it every time I went there. Sometimes, people just need space.
Kimskiddos 06:19 AM 12-29-2014
I take lot of pictures and put together a photo album of the kiddos time with me. I add a couple of poems about moving on and depending on how long they've been with me anywhere from 20 photos (for the smaller ones I just use vista print and make a photo book) to my more standard 88 photos. The last photo is a picture of me with the child - selfie style.

I have mailed a couple of them because I didn't get to see the kiddos on last day or I just plain didn't get the album finished.
daycare 08:30 AM 12-29-2014
I day good-bye and then go in my room and cry......................

I am losing one soon that I am going to miss dearly!

Unless they are graduating out of my program off to kinder, I don't do anything.

If I am feeling up to it, I may have all of the dcks make a book/card
Indoorvoice 09:49 AM 12-29-2014
Thanks for sharing your experiences! I didn't wasn't to look like the uncaring daycare lady, but also didn't want to be annoying. Sounds like i did enough and now i just have to miss them from afar!
Reply Up