Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Weather Outdoor Playtime Policy
Unregistered 07:40 PM 12-01-2016
What is your winter weather outdoor playtime policy? I live in Minnesota and its getting pretty cold here now that it is winter. I realized in my parent handbook I never said anything about outdoor playtime in the winter, i just told parents in the interview that we go outside everyday. According to licensing we are suppose to go outside everyday, weather permitting, and in MN most centers take the kids out as long as it is above 0° F. I have a group of infants/toddler for an inhome. I wouldnt take them outside unless it was above 20 degrees. For some reason i assumed when it started getting cold and snowing, that the parents would bring what their children needed to stay warm outside. Hat, gloves, snowpants, boots, jacket. Nope. They think we dont go outside in the winter. I know one parent is going to be mad that we are going outside. She never brings her kid with a coat and he still is wearing sandals..
I want to send out a newsletter, but dont know what to say or how to say it.
laundrymom 08:07 PM 12-01-2016
I texted out one that said
We go outside daily. Bring warm gear or they will have to wrap up in a blanket and watch the friends play from the swing
Still have one in a sweatshirt so at pick up today he was bundled and dad was shocked. Mad. And stomped off.
Mom texted an apology and they are bringing a coat tomotrow .
Michael 08:27 PM 12-01-2016
More threads on Winter Weather policy: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...weather+policy
childcaremom 03:12 AM 12-02-2016
We go outside all weather, too.

I request specific items by a certain date. I list the particulars. Give parents lots of warnings. I turn away at the door or call for pick up if kids aren't prepared each day.
Jupadia 05:39 AM 12-02-2016
I have attached notes to my monthly calendar regarding this very thing but parents still bring kids dressed for a car trip and nothing else. So for the parents that just still have not brought it I very told them to I let them know that even if there is no snow on the ground it's cold and damp that DCK likes to roll and play on the ground that they need things like snowpants to stay warm and dry. Sometimes I do I have a spare since I have two small boys but I won't lend it out more then once or twice. Also if parents send there child in bright pink boots and white jacket it will be guaranteed not to be as nice looking by the end of the day. At this time of the year I expect parents to bring stuff. If I were to have a parent repetdly not bring what I NEED for their child then I would refuse care (with payment due still) till they are willing to. Other lwise all children get punished because no one is dressed right for the weather.

I take the kids out (all 3 and under) if it's no colder then -10 Celsius with the wind chill. I don't have any temp specified in my contract just that we do daily outdoor time weather permitting.
Blackcat31 05:46 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What is your winter weather outdoor playtime policy? I live in Minnesota and its getting pretty cold here now that it is winter. I realized in my parent handbook I never said anything about outdoor playtime in the winter, i just told parents in the interview that we go outside everyday. According to licensing we are suppose to go outside everyday, weather permitting, and in MN most centers take the kids out as long as it is above 0° F. I have a group of infants/toddler for an inhome. I wouldnt take them outside unless it was above 20 degrees. For some reason i assumed when it started getting cold and snowing, that the parents would bring what their children needed to stay warm outside. Hat, gloves, snowpants, boots, jacket. Nope. They think we dont go outside in the winter. I know one parent is going to be mad that we are going outside. She never brings her kid with a coat and he still is wearing sandals..
I want to send out a newsletter, but dont know what to say or how to say it.
I am also in MN and you are required to bring them out every day.

If you waited until it was 20 degrees above zero, you'd rarely go outside...... I have infants and toddlers in care too and we go outside at least twice a day.

I require ALL children to have the appropriate clothing for outside play and if they don't have it upon drop off, they are not accepted into care.

Not bringing them outside because parents didn't bring outdoor gear would not be acceptable to licensing.
They would advise you to enforce the rule of having parents bring the appropriate clothing.
daycarediva 08:32 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
We go outside all weather, too.

I request specific items by a certain date. I list the particulars. Give parents lots of warnings. I turn away at the door or call for pick up if kids aren't prepared each day.

parents bring the appropriate outdoor supplies.
Unregistered 08:34 AM 12-02-2016
Blackcat at what temp/conditions do you stay inside?
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Blackcat at what temp/conditions do you stay inside?
When the temp reaches 0 or below.

Wind chill is decided on a daily basis....

Wind chill of 0 on a sunny day isn't bad but wind chill at 0 on a cloudy or overcast day is cold.

Zero is my guideline. I follow the weather chart posted on the front of the Daycare.com page here

I don't always have infants in care but when I do, it does change things a bit but even then I keep them so bundled up that they aren't cold or even uncomfortable.

Hope that helps!
laundrymom 10:06 AM 12-02-2016
Ha!!!
It worked. Mom dropped today w a heavy coat.two hats. Two mittens in a bag and an identical set on the kid. Lol
Guess ten minutes sitting on the swing singing w me was worth dad walking up and seeing him not running w the others.
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I texted out one that said
We go outside daily. Bring warm gear or they will have to wrap up in a blanket and watch the friends play from the swing
Still have one in a sweatshirt so at pick up today he was bundled and dad was shocked. Mad. And stomped off.
Mom texted an apology and they are bringing a coat tomotrow .

debbiedoeszip 08:27 AM 12-03-2016
My winter policy is the same as the local daycare centers (and they follow school policies). This is from my handbook, and keep in mind that temps are in Celsius and not Fahrenheit (I'm in Canada):

"During the winter months, outdoor play will be limited to 15-20 minutes if the temperature with windchill is between -13 and -17. The children will not be permitted to go outside if the temperature with windchill is greater than -17. If there is a severe weather warning, watch or alert, the children will not be permitted to go outside."

Right now, I'm requiring full winter gear (snowsuit, boots, mitts, hat) even though we have no snow. We might not have snow until the end of January, but it still gets mighty cold.
Tags:weather policy
Reply Up