Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preparing My Own Child for Naps During Daycare Hours
scoobysmama 02:21 PM 04-09-2019
Hi everyone!

I’m working on getting licensed to open an in-home childcare and should be ready to open in about a month. I have a 17-month-old son who is used to napping in his crib. When I open my daycare, he will need to nap on a mat like the other kids. I’m worried he will just want to play and won’t ever fall asleep on a mat.

Should I start transitioning him now? Maybe start by putting him down on a mat in his room, and move him to the play room when he can sleep on the mat in his room? Or just wait until I open and hope that he will take a nap “like the big kids”?

Has anyone had the same problem? What did you do?

Thanks for your advice!!
Michael 12:11 AM 04-10-2019
Welcome to the forum.
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 04-10-2019
If you aren't required to keep your own children in the same room as you during daycare hours, I'd just let him nap in hos own room however he normally naps.

If you are required to keep him in the same room with you, I'd start out napping him on a nap now before you open for business so he is familiar with napping that way prior to your accepting others into care.

Seems it's a process for all kids but is definitely doable.

You could also use a PNP instead of nap mat if you think he'd do better that way. Unless your state has rules about that too..lol!

I think your son's adjustment to daycare will be an ongoing ever changing process and is usually one of the biggest issue providers deal with. It's not always negative but it's definitely something most in home providers have to do if their own kiddos are younger and part of care.

Welcome to the forum!
Mom2Two 11:22 AM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If you aren't required to keep your own children in the same room as you during daycare hours, I'd just let him nap in hos own room however he normally naps.

If you are required to keep him in the same room with you, I'd start out napping him on a nap now before you open for business so he is familiar with napping that way prior to your accepting others into care.

Seems it's a process for all kids but is definitely doable.

You could also use a PNP instead of nap mat if you think he'd do better that way. Unless your state has rules about that too..lol!

I think your son's adjustment to daycare will be an ongoing ever changing process and is usually one of the biggest issue providers deal with. It's not always negative but it's definitely something most in home providers have to do if their own kiddos are younger and part of care.

Welcome to the forum!

Same. I started home daycare when DD was 2.5. She has always been mostly with the same flow as daycare kids, but not always. Her meals have been different (medically related), and of course she has some special toys that are kept separately, and stuff like that. She has always slept in her own space.

She did happen to quit daytime naps at about the same time I started home daycare. She's never been a fantastic sleeper though--a bit on the short side unfortunately.
knoxmomof2 06:30 AM 04-14-2019
Does your state require your children to do the same as the others? If not, I would leave him be. I'm license exempt in my state since I only keep 4, so I don't have regulations on that.

My own baby was a few months old when I started back full time. A few months before she was born, 3 of my kids went on to Kindergarten or Preschool and I just had 1 part timer. My baby is now 17 months. She sleeps in her bed, in her room. If she gets to the age where she wants to sleep in the nap room with her friends, she'll be more than welcome to.
Jupadia 08:11 AM 04-14-2019
I'm another vote for let them sleep in their own space. My oldest started in my daycare when I opened at age 1. My youngest at 4 weeks . The oldest always slept in his own room upstairs on the main floor, the youngest went up when he was on 2 naps, before he slept in a pack n play in next room or even outside flat in a stroller. I just use baby monitors at night so I bring those down at nap for them. The youngest is also trapped in room via door knob thing hes currently 3 years.

As well I've made sure to have their toys in their rooms, and daycare toys downstairs. When they get new toys that are better fit with daycare we talk about it and it useally gets brought down. But most toys they get now go to their own rooms.
Tags:provider children, transitioning - crib to cot
Reply Up