Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bibs?
DBug 08:56 AM 01-21-2011
So I'm in the market for some new bibs -- maybe 30 or so of them (I hate doing laundry ) ). I'd like non-velcro ones, and they'd need to be on the larger side. I've been using Ikea bibs so far, but they're really too small for my messy eaters.

Any ideas on where I can get some relatively inexpensively?
E Daycare 09:04 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
So I'm in the market for some new bibs -- maybe 30 or so of them (I hate doing laundry ) ). I'd like non-velcro ones, and they'd need to be on the larger side. I've been using Ikea bibs so far, but they're really too small for my messy eaters.

Any ideas on where I can get some relatively inexpensively?
I have tons of the Ikea ones too and they also too thin I found out. My son had bad reflux as a baby and we invested in every bib known to man. We got a ton for a baby shower after he was born that work good but they have velcro. I think they were bought at family dollar too.
laundrymom 09:18 AM 01-21-2011
I use cloth diapers/burp rags and put snaps on them. I have 30 or so and love them.
MarinaVanessa 09:28 AM 01-21-2011
Target typically has cloth bibs at 10 for $15. If you're lucky you can get them on sale for $10. They have sets of girls colors, boy colors and then there's a mixed set which I bought. The only hard part is (if your Target is anything like mine) actually finding the colors you need in stock.
mickey2 09:28 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I use cloth diapers/burp rags and put snaps on them. I have 30 or so and love them.

What a wonderful idea!! I would like to steal that idea!
laundrymom 09:44 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
What a wonderful idea!! I would like to steal that idea!
Go right ahead:-). It is easy and I can use them as burpies, bibs, or towels. Lol
Cat Herder 09:47 AM 01-21-2011
Buy used sweatshirts at your local thrift store, cut the back open vertically, put them on arms first like a paint shirt, use a diaper safety pin at neck.

Best coverage for the best price and they wont pull them off and throw them in the floor. Also does double duty as art smocks.
Live and Learn 09:47 AM 01-21-2011
I have thought for a long time that bibs should have sleeves and HOODS!
Mostly for the under 15 month age set. I have one bib with sleeves and I wash it daily!
jenh171 09:48 AM 01-21-2011
I bought four of these "dish towel" bibs on Etsy and I absolutely LOVE them. They give awesome coverage and never wear out. They are probably not too cost-efficient for you since you need so many, but perhaps someone else would find them useful like I have. 6 is a great price for the quality & the seller is fantastic too:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62843283...ed-terry-cloth
DCMomOf3 09:51 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I have thought for a long time that bibs should have sleeves and HOODS!
Mostly for the under 15 month age set. I have one bib with sleeves and I wash it daily!
I have long sleeved, plastic Ikea paint shirts I got for $2 each. I like the idea of using them for meals too.
E Daycare 10:02 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I have long sleeved, plastic Ikea paint shirts I got for $2 each. I like the idea of using them for meals too.
Yup! I bought like 6 of those but my sons arms seem to get longer and longer every time I use them lol. This summer they will be thank tops on him.
DBug 10:33 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by jenh171:
I bought four of these "dish towel" bibs on Etsy and I absolutely LOVE them. They give awesome coverage and never wear out. They are probably not too cost-efficient for you since you need so many, but perhaps someone else would find them useful like I have. 6 is a great price for the quality & the seller is fantastic too:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62843283...ed-terry-cloth
I love those! It probably wouldn't be that hard to make them myself ...
Missani 11:13 AM 01-21-2011
I worked in a toddler room at a center for a long time...talk about messy meals! We used the "dish towel" bibs, too. We had an elderly lady who would make them for us when we needed new ones. They were great! I use the super bibs, which I LOVE because they can be wiped clean, washed in the washer, are large, and have pockets. But, they do have velcro, so they may not be what you are looking for.
Little People 11:33 AM 01-21-2011
I bought 30 of these from this lady on ebay. I love them and she shipped really fast!!
http://www.handmadebibs.com/
They have little plastic snaps. I have all kind of prints. I got larger ones too!!

Her Shipping Prices are GREAT!!

~Baby/Toddler Bibs~

1-3 bibs $3.00

4-5 bibs $3.75

6-10 bibs $4.50

11-30 bibs $6.00
SilverSabre25 12:42 PM 01-21-2011
I bought dish towels from Target and sewed velcro on. You could do snaps too, if you're handy like that, or other types of closures. Big, cover even part of their lap, and pretty absorbent.
Annette 03:26 PM 01-21-2011
Google disposable bibs, you can get 500 for 35 dollars well worth it for me.
sahm1225 09:40 AM 01-22-2011
Im curious about the disposible bibs. Does anyone else use them? I dont mind doing the laundry, but being able to throw them out sounds nice!
momatheart 10:25 AM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I was going to suggest using cloth diapers. Also you can purchase velcro to adhear to the bibs if sewing isn't up your alley.
VanessaEO 10:55 AM 01-22-2011
So, I'm the only DCP that just takes off shirts of the toddlers to eat?

I guess a bib might be easier - but I don't know - more laundry? Hmm.. Something to think about I guess.
My Daycare 10:59 AM 01-22-2011
Awesome ideas, I hope I remember this thread in a year when my infants start eating.
SilverSabre25 11:33 AM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:

I guess a bib might be easier - but I don't know - more laundry? Hmm.. Something to think about I guess.
Might be...most of my parents dress the kiddos in onesies *sigh*...I don't mind infants so much but the 2.5 yo who they are trying to potty train?
DBug 06:23 AM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by Annette:
Google disposable bibs, you can get 500 for 35 dollars well worth it for me.
I just found a liquidation place nearby where I can get them for 10 cents apiece (not quite as good a deal, but still). I grabbed 10 to give them a try.

Do they work well and are they big enough?

Also, which website do you get yours from? I googled around and all I could find are the plastic ones. I'd prefer the paper/cloth-type ones for obvious reasons but I couldn't find a whole lot.
care-care 05:37 PM 01-23-2011
The bibs i love the most are the ones that look like a hand towel. They have a hole cut in for head with some trim sewen around it is stretchy and goes over head nicely. I know I bought them at meijers or target but u could easliy make them . I would go to a goodwill or thrift shop and look at the towels there and makes some cheaply. They dont have to be all fancy Good luck
countrymom 05:34 AM 01-24-2011
ok, I have the ones that are like terry clothe and you have to slip them over their heads, the problem is, is if the toddler has a big head, they are hard to get on and off, and I still find that that they are not long enough
DBug 08:41 AM 01-24-2011
Anybody use the molded plastic bibs (ie. Pelican-style)? I never used them for my own kids, but I'm thinking that if they just need a rinse after a meal, they might be a good compromise.
Maria2013 04:26 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:

Angelsj 05:17 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:

No you are not..lol
I do the same thing, though I do like those dishtowel bibs from Etsy. Neat idea!
Kindel Rae 07:51 AM 07-22-2019
Removed link.... Please do not post advertising links on the forum without permission from the site owner.

You will need to register as a member in order to private message him. You can find his contact info here:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/member.php?u=1
coloradoprovider 07:07 AM 07-23-2019
I like to use a dish towel with a mini spring clamp. I get the spring clamps at my local home warehouse store (Lowe's or Home Depot). The clamps are strong (good for bag clips too as they are super strong) and children can't pull the towels off as easily as they can with clothes pins. No sew, easy to launder (I wash kitchen towels frequently as I change them daily). Tip: get many clamps (they're super cheap) as you will find many uses for them - droopy pant holder, fabric holder for play forts, etc.)
Tags:2011, bibs
Reply Up