Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Clients Losing Assistance?
PitterPatter 02:31 PM 07-05-2011
Does anyone know if it is possible for a parent to lose state assisted free daycare privledges besides for reasons other than income? Like for extremly poor behavior, is that possible? I know WE can lose our registration/licenses so shouldn't it go both ways?
wdmmom 02:48 PM 07-05-2011
We can think it should but they are willing to give the assistance to anyone that applies. I've known people to lie just to get it. Here in Iowa, once you are approved, you get 6 months of care. Of course you are suppose to notify DHS of any change that might affect your eligibility. I bet I can count how many times that happens. They're already getting free daycare. If you lose your job half way though, how many people would stop taking their kid to daycare? Maybe 50%? The other half will keep sucking up free daycare and enjoy their days off. Makes me sad.

Too many people lie and cheat the system. I think being responsible and mature should be part of the approval process. Just because you have a child and don't make a lot of money shouldn't prove credibility.
familyschoolcare 03:11 PM 07-05-2011
Here in cal. my sister got kicked off for not following the rules. She kept forgetting to sign her child in/out and when we (I was the helper at the home day care) called to say that we sent it home with her high lighted where she was supposed to sign it and she forgot it again. Her worker called her and yelled at her. (I lived at same address as her at the time) Her worker told her if this happens again then you will be removed form the program. She forgot again the next month. (mean while all the payments where late getting to the day care provider) We called again she was removed with a two week notice. Only as it turned out the notice to her was more like 1 1/2 weeks because it started the day my friend the day care provider called and the notice was mailed to her. I have mixed feelings about the entire situation because it relay only punished my nephew because my sister just left him with friends. So he had a different baby sister everyday. At a time in his life when he really could have used some stability somewhere. However, the day care provider (friend of ours or not) could not afford to supply a free or nearly free child care service.
mac60 03:39 PM 07-05-2011
Should be the same rules for all.....they should have to submit to drug tests too, and so should anyone receiving aid of any kind......wic, food stamps, medicaid, welfare, etc.
familyschoolcare 03:44 PM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Should be the same rules for all.....they should have to submit to drug tests too, and so should anyone receiving aid of any kind......wic, food stamps, medicaid, welfare, etc.
I like the concept. However, where is the funding going to come from. Here in California this services are always in danger of being cut due to funding so how could be afford to test people.
sharlan 03:46 PM 07-05-2011
My one and only lost free daycare when the state realized that Grandma really didn't need a break every day. Grandma had custody, but claimed that she couldn't handle the stress and needed a break every day. The girl (10) was in school 6 1/2 hrs a day and Grandma felt she needed another 3 hrs a day break so that someone would help the girl with her homework. The state decided that an 18 mo break was long enough.

This woman really knew how to work the system - foster care money, clothing allowance, free medical & dental, free lunch, and free daycare. The grandparents were not poor.
Meeko 04:29 PM 07-05-2011
I had a state mother who was fired from her job right after being approved for day care assistance. She didn't tell the state and she didn't tell me. She just brought the kids every day around the same time and then went home/partying etc. The state found out and told her the money had to be paid back.

What did she do? She came to me and told me I had to give the money back! She got VERY angry when I said I did my job, I got paid.

I tried to explain that SHE had to pay it back! She just argued and said "But I don't have it...I gave it to you...so you must give it back"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her case worker told her that I didn't have to give back a penny and that she owed the state the funds. She refused...so they cut off her assistance.
sharlan 04:31 PM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I had a state mother who was fired from her job right after being approved for day care assistance. She didn't tell the state and she didn't tell me. She just brought the kids every day around the same time and then went home/partying etc. The state found out and told her the money had to be paid back.

What did she do? She came to me and told me I had to give the money back! She got VERY angry when I said I did my job, I got paid.

I tried to explain that SHE had to pay it back! She just argued and said "But I don't have it...I gave it to you...so you must give it back"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her case worker told her that I didn't have to give back a penny and that she owed the state the funds. She refused...so they cut off her assistance.
Good. Why should you pay back the money? You took care of the kids, she had to pay.
Unregistered 06:35 AM 07-06-2011
Absolutely a parent can lose their child care assistance. There is a strict set of guidelines where I live that specify what a parent can and cannot do while collecting assistance. If a parent does not report income or loss of, if hours for childcare do not match work hours or if a parent does not comply with job training courses, resume writing courses or if college courses they enrolled in do not meet the GPA and attendance standards then child care assitance can be denied or decreased for that family.

Child care assistance isn't just thrown out there with no questions asked. There are rules that must be agreed to and followed by both the parent and the provider. Unfortunately, there are just too many easy ways around those rules.
Tags:assistance, state assistance, subsidy
Reply Up