Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Harder and Harder To Do This...
jenny31052 07:58 PM 04-09-2013
So, to keep it short, my husband is military and is gone until next year. It's just me and my son here, no family, and just a couple of friends I can find reliable.

I'm also in school full time - before my husband left I cut down the daycare to just the part-time kids, which are here 3 days a week from 7am until 5.30pm.

I don't have anyone that I can delegate things to do, like my own kid's appointments, errands, my classes and whatever else happens in the household.

Lately I had a few appointments, and my classes schedule has changed. I try to schedule things in those days were I have no kids, but it is impossible to make sure that everything happens on those 2 particular days.. I had to give short notice to parents, asking either to pick up early, or later...

I guess I just need to vent...when I told them that my husband was leaving I did advise them, to make sure they have a back-up plan, because it was just me, having to deal with everything...

Even if they said that they understand, I can tell that they're getting annoyed -

I'm so ready to just be done with it - one child will be home for the summer because Mom is a teacher, so I would be left with one...

I don't get much from just 2 families, but the extra cash is always helpful to pay a groceries trip, or for gas....

Ugh... I feel bad for having to do this, but I'm really having an hard time taking care of my and my son's lives, when I'm stuck in the house 3 days a week with no help...
blandino 08:38 PM 04-09-2013
I can't even imagine. I was taking 6 hours of grad school credit, and I just dropped both classes. And that is without kids. Putting in 60 hours a week with 12 DCKs, plus grad school, even without having children, was very difficult - I can't imagine doing it with kids.
ksmith 08:51 PM 04-09-2013
I've been there. My husband deployed twice while I had my daycare open. As hard as it can be it really helped the time pass by faster being so busy. Don't feel guilty about needing to take time off. If you need it, then take it. Also, if the money isn't completely necessary have you thought about only taking drop-ins? At least that way you could only take those that worked around your schedule, rather than the other way around.
cheerfuldom 07:56 AM 04-10-2013
Do what you need to do. If you want to keep these families but are worried about them being annoyed with the changes, just have a frank discussion. Leave it up to them if they can tolerate the small bits of upheaval for now or if they would rather give notice. Maybe you can get a little part time job or offer drop in daycare or some other option to make a little extra money without stressing yourself out. but when all is said and done, i would skip the spending money in order to have less stress
Brooksie 08:03 AM 04-10-2013
I can sort of relate with the fact that I'm doing this as a single mother. Its very hard to schedule things that need to be done, mostly my own appointments and errands that need to be taken care of during business hours. Seems downright impossible some weeks to function this way, but at least I have my ex to occasionally take our daughter to her appointments (even if I do have to drop her off to him with my car before 6:30 so he can get her there). Its never easy. I hope you can get through this! I know it has to be hard, especially when you're missing someone and worrying. I hope things get easier for you and GOOD LUCK!
Tags:burnt out, military, overwhelmed
Reply Up