Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>What should I make of these parents?
kristinhomedaycare 07:28 PM 08-28-2015
So I had a slot open for Tues Fri and a family needed care only on Fridays. At that time I discussed how even though they only need care from 10:30-5:30 it is still a full day rate which is 40.00 a day if we divide it daily. I sent them my full contract and handbook which details my policies. It goes over how you pay regardless of your attendance, their one week of vacation they can use if they do not attend if prior notice is given, my one week of unpaid vacation, sick policies, and the 9 hour max per day pre-scheduled hours between my open hours and more.

They enrolled for 40.00 a day for fridays. Now in July they told me they wanted to leave their other provider and go full time in the fall. I told them I had a spot as I had 2 leaving for kindergarten. I told them in July they could start the first week of Sept. This is now happening next Monday and I'm getting weird signals.

2 weeks ago was our daycare cookout. They came to it and forgot to pay me for the day that day. The following friday they text me she would not be there today but they would drop off a check for the previous week. I said ok. I emailed them asking if they wanted to use the day they were missing as a vacation day. I told them normally I require 2 weeks notice for vacation days but I can waive that and use one if they wanted. They said sure. She came today and mom came at pick up, forgetting her checkbook again. Did not pay me for today. Said she'd pay me Monday for it. Then asked me 1st about her dcg's naps and saying she naps longer at the other providers. I asked for tips. She said well the dcp puts her in her own separate room. I told her that's not really possible here. I told her I can try to wait until a couple others have fallen asleep and then put her in there but she climbs out of the pack n play and if I put her on the sleep mat I can't leave her alone in there. I also have kids that don't nap but I make rest but if I lay her next to them she stays awake because she sees other kids awake. I can't leave her alone by herself in a room and I also can't leave the other kids alone to put her to sleep. She said she got my contract but doesn't read those long things. She asked about the rate, 40 per day of attendance. I told her as the paperworks says fulltime is 200 per week regardless of attendance and went over the other policies like vacations etc with her. She then asked about creating for her an hourly rate since they aren't coming the full 9 hours a day and only need 1030-5:30. I told them no because I can not fill the other part of the day. Then she asked if we had guns in the house... a question I think she should have asked 3 months ago if she had concerns with my home? I told her no guns at all. She said she wanted to meet my husband. I told her we can set up a time on a sunday because he works 8:30-8:30 every day selling cars. She said she already met him at the party. So not sure why she wanted to meet him again? I am wondering what is going on and what to make of all of this. They used to pay on time every week and now they are late. They have always been flaky with diapers. They won't leave any here but bring like 1-2 diapers for the day. Wondering if I should email them again the contract and state that they should read it over carefully and make sure they are OK with my policies so we make sure the arrangement will be mutually beneficial or if I should just wait this out. I'm assuming they'll talk over the weekend.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 08-30-2015
Originally Posted by kristinhomedaycare:
So I had a slot open for Tues Fri and a family needed care only on Fridays. At that time I discussed how even though they only need care from 10:30-5:30 it is still a full day rate which is 40.00 a day if we divide it daily. I sent them my full contract and handbook which details my policies. It goes over how you pay regardless of your attendance, their one week of vacation they can use if they do not attend if prior notice is given, my one week of unpaid vacation, sick policies, and the 9 hour max per day pre-scheduled hours between my open hours and more.

They enrolled for 40.00 a day for fridays. Now in July they told me they wanted to leave their other provider and go full time in the fall. I told them I had a spot as I had 2 leaving for kindergarten. I told them in July they could start the first week of Sept. This is now happening next Monday and I'm getting weird signals.

2 weeks ago was our daycare cookout. They came to it and forgot to pay me for the day that day. The following friday they text me she would not be there today but they would drop off a check for the previous week. I said ok. I emailed them asking if they wanted to use the day they were missing as a vacation day. I told them normally I require 2 weeks notice for vacation days but I can waive that and use one if they wanted. They said sure. She came today and mom came at pick up, forgetting her checkbook again. Did not pay me for today. Said she'd pay me Monday for it. Then asked me 1st about her dcg's naps and saying she naps longer at the other providers. I asked for tips. She said well the dcp puts her in her own separate room. I told her that's not really possible here. I told her I can try to wait until a couple others have fallen asleep and then put her in there but she climbs out of the pack n play and if I put her on the sleep mat I can't leave her alone in there. I also have kids that don't nap but I make rest but if I lay her next to them she stays awake because she sees other kids awake. I can't leave her alone by herself in a room and I also can't leave the other kids alone to put her to sleep. She said she got my contract but doesn't read those long things. She asked about the rate, 40 per day of attendance. I told her as the paperworks says fulltime is 200 per week regardless of attendance and went over the other policies like vacations etc with her. She then asked about creating for her an hourly rate since they aren't coming the full 9 hours a day and only need 1030-5:30. I told them no because I can not fill the other part of the day. Then she asked if we had guns in the house... a question I think she should have asked 3 months ago if she had concerns with my home? I told her no guns at all. She said she wanted to meet my husband. I told her we can set up a time on a sunday because he works 8:30-8:30 every day selling cars. She said she already met him at the party. So not sure why she wanted to meet him again? I am wondering what is going on and what to make of all of this. They used to pay on time every week and now they are late. They have always been flaky with diapers. They won't leave any here but bring like 1-2 diapers for the day. Wondering if I should email them again the contract and state that they should read it over carefully and make sure they are OK with my policies so we make sure the arrangement will be mutually beneficial or if I should just wait this out. I'm assuming they'll talk over the weekend.
I think that there are a lot of red flags. I'd replace them if I could.

If you do keep them, don't allow late payments and if they do pay late, charge a late fee as well as NOT providing additional services if they don't pay.

I would also request they read the handbook well and tell them they are responsible for knowing and following the policies. Be prepared to term immediately if they don't.

It really doesn't sound like a good fit but for whatever reason they aren't staying at their old providers....did they say why?

I don't know...I just feel like there are enough red flags that I would fill the space and pass on this family.
lovemydaycare0912 04:35 PM 10-23-2015
I would honestly term them. First, i wouldnt let them drop off the child if they are behind in payments. Also, like said above, charge a late fee. Give them a warning and ask if they'd like to continue care there are certain policies they have to abide by. I would also have them bring a pack of diapers to stay with you. If they can't get abide by your policies, give them a letter and say unfortunately this is their last day. Hope this helps.
Mad_Pistachio 07:52 AM 11-10-2015
Originally Posted by kristinhomedaycare:
She said she got my contract but doesn't read those long things.
I am having a huge *facepalm* moment
This alone is enough of a red flag, which normally brings a tail of other issues along with it.
Reply Up