Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time for Yourself
NiNi.R. 04:47 AM 07-18-2011
I think sometimes with this job it is easy to get trapped in your house for 50 hours plus a week. At least for me anyways. Before I know it I've spent so much time working and trying to get everything done by the end of the day that I have little energy left and what I do have I give to spend with my own children and husband. Then by the time Sunday evening rolls around I realize I took absolutely no time to myself. My friend who recently became a SAHM and is feeling the same way decided we should take some piyo classes and the local rec center. They are Wednesdays at 6 p.m. So when I tell my dcm that her children will need to be picked up by 5:30 on Wednesdays her reaction was "Oh Sh!t... I guess I'll have to figure out something huh?"

What I wanted to say was "Give me a break! There are times I help you out by working til 6:30 or 7:00 pm some nights because you have to work late and you wanna bust my chops because I want you to pick up your children on time one evening a week! How dare you act like it's a problem when in the winter you are able to get here at 5:30 on Tuesdays to pick up your girls so YOU can compete in YOUR bowling league at 6pm. So another words what your telling me is when it is for yourself its okay to get off work on time but when its for me it's an inconvenience!"....ugh!

What I did instead was smiled and said "Yes you will."
jen 04:59 AM 07-18-2011
What time do you close?
NiNi.R. 05:16 AM 07-18-2011
Typically I close at 5:30 but I have been willing to stay open later for her because of some of her circumstances....that's where I have gone wrong. Lesson learned!
momma4many 05:40 AM 07-18-2011
I think people will take what and when they can. Don't feel bad about it, that's just her not wanting to take responsibility. I wouldn't give it a second thought. If you don't take care of YOU, then no one will and you won't be any good to anyone then
jen 05:52 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by momma4many:
I think people will take what and when they can. Don't feel bad about it, that's just her not wanting to take responsibility. I wouldn't give it a second thought. If you don't take care of YOU, then no one will and you won't be any good to anyone then
I totally agree. How bizarre that she would even think about reacting that way because she can't pick up LATE!
Country Kids 06:26 AM 07-18-2011
I gave a 3 month notice to my parents about a change in closing time. Oh my goodness, the reaction I received from some of them. You would have thought I just closed the childcare that very day. The thing is I did it because I became tired of hearing I will be picking up at this time and not seeing anyone for 1/2 an hour to 45 min. later. All it took was one parent for me to do this.
momma4many 06:43 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I gave a 3 month notice to my parents about a change in closing time. Oh my goodness, the reaction I received from some of them. You would have thought I just closed the childcare that very day. The thing is I did it because I became tired of hearing I will be picking up at this time and not seeing anyone for 1/2 an hour to 45 min. later. All it took was one parent for me to do this.
Good for you. I think all it usually takes is one parent to push your button for the last time Three months is PLENTY of notice!
cheerfuldom 08:37 AM 07-18-2011
OP, do you charge extra for all this time past pickup? Make them show up on time! 7pm is just ridiculous and that means you are working even more than 50 hours a week
wdmmom 10:46 AM 07-18-2011
Now you've got me really wondering what kind of responses I'll get when I tell parents that I'm changing my closing time to 515pm January 2nd. Granted it's only 15 minutes but that's an extra 15 minutes they have to stop at the grocery, get gas, fiddle-fart around, etc. Everyone works within 15 minutes from my house and lives no more than 7 minutes away. They had no beef when I changed my opening ours from 7am to 715am. Hopefully, it'll go as smoothly but I don't foresee that happening.

Where there is daycare parents, there is drama!
MsMe 10:56 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Now you've got me really wondering what kind of responses I'll get when I tell parents that I'm changing my closing time to 515pm January 2nd. Granted it's only 15 minutes but that's an extra 15 minutes they have to stop at the grocery, get gas, fiddle-fart around, etc. Everyone works within 15 minutes from my house and lives no more than 7 minutes away. They had no beef when I changed my opening ours from 7am to 715am. Hopefully, it'll go as smoothly but I don't foresee that happening.

All of my parents live and work this close too and I close at 5:15 (always have) and none of them have trouble getting here on time.....

Good luck you willl LOVE that 15 more minutes of your night!!
dEHmom 11:21 AM 07-18-2011
I feel the same way.

My dh figures he's the bread winner and so he doesn't have to do anything in the evenings. If I said i'm not making supper tonight, or doing dishes, he would then respond with I have to order pizza and it would literally be every night.

I find there is no such thing as me time. So me and my old DCM are now best friends, and one night I decided to go to her place, I was there till 2am lol. We drank and shot the ****....pardon my language. We had a blast. And we've been getting together almost every weekend, and sometimes during the week too. Now that my youngest is getting older, my dh is more willing to do things. And I am now starting to get some freedom. He even tried to convince 2 out of 3 of them to stay home that night I went out, but since my friend had her 2 girls anyway I figured not a big deal. They basically all entertained themselves, and eventually fell asleep on the couch. I foresee many nights like this in the near future.

My DH has trouble understanding why I don't want to go bike riding, or go here and there and do this and that. Honestly, my kids get to do lots of fun things, they are not missing out on much, and we do tons of family things together. But sometimes I just want to lay on the couch and do nothing. but he doesn't understand that. He figures I should want to spend time with him doing this and that. Except that's all i've done for the last 8 years. I can't miss him if he never goes away!
NiNi.R. 11:52 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
OP, do you charge extra for all this time past pickup? Make them show up on time! 7pm is just ridiculous and that means you are working even more than 50 hours a week
That was my original mistake. I worked with her because she is single mom, her schedule is random, and she doesn't have a whole lot of options as far as other family members that can pick them up..silly me thought that expecting her to find someone to pick them up on time 1 night a week wouldn't be a problem.

Coming in November I'm making some big changes. My base rate will only cover 10 hours a day. For every hour more a day they need it will be an extra 5.00. Then the hours they put on the contract will be the hours they need to be here. They will have a 5 minute grace period and then will be charged 1.00 a minute for every minute they are late. My guess is she will find a new daycare which is why I'm waiting til the end of the year to change it. We've got only a few months before my husband and I are debt free and so until then I decided to suck it up.
NiNi.R. 11:56 AM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

I know right? The way she acted you would think I told her she had to have them picked up everyday at 5:30. It's one day a week for four weeks. She won't be very happy when all the big things change.

Good luck with your parents!
Tags:days off, time for yourself
Reply Up