Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>subs?
jojosmommy 08:47 AM 08-17-2012
I have worked hard over the last few months to find good subs to fill in for me when I have trainings or kids appts. I have found 2, a nearby provider who has 2 on her lic and can come on her light days and someone who used to do daycare who now works a flex schedule so she is avail 2 or 3 days per week. I also use my hubs but he needs to be at work so its hard for him to leave.

My current families trust anyone I choose, knowing I wont just take anyone to watch the kids and run my daycare. During interview I have had more questions from some than others about it. I feel like I have gone out of my way to provide a sub and make it easier on parents by not closing.

How do you address this with potential new clients?

How often do you use subs?

What do your parents think about subs?

Do you allow parents to choose not to send their kids when a sub is scheduled and not pay? Someone asked me this.
Country Kids 08:51 AM 08-17-2012
I lost my sub so last year I would end up closing early or take the kids with me.

Started using a sub again the beginning of this summer. Used her twice and one parents just didn't seem happy about it. Was happy about it when I said I have one now but now when I've use them, the parent acted weird about it.

I'm probably losing mine though once they find a job. So back to square one. It stresses me big time when I need one and don't have one. One reason I question if my days of childcare are coming to an end. I can't find anyone to be a sub.
Annalee 09:02 AM 08-17-2012
I am a group home with two caregivers (my mother and I). If both of us have to be off for some reason, I just close. I will place a sub with myself or my mom, but never will put two subs in my licensed facility. Just my preference.....I worry something will happen when I am gone. I explain who my subs are in the interview for enrollement. Good subs are hard to come by and I simply am not that trusting due to the extensive guidelines from the state that can show up at will. Another reason to place professional, personal and emergency days in the daycare contract.
DaisyMamma 10:37 AM 08-17-2012
I have it in my policy that my sub will be used in case of emergency or for appts., etc. and the parents will meet the sub shortly after they enroll, and that the parents will be notified when a sub is being used. No one has ever questioned it.
My state requires you to have a sub.
Reply Up