Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Giving Tree
kpa0627 02:56 PM 08-25-2010
I'm thinking about coming up with a posterboard tree that has colorful leaves that state things on them that the daycare is in need of or could always use at some point and if a parent chooses to take a leaf then they can bring that item in. I would explain what it is to each parent but also let them know they aren't obligated to do this it's just there if they want to help out. Does anyone have a good way to explain this in a newsletter that would make them want to pick things up.
Also, what things should I put on the "leaves"?
I was thinking: kleenexes, wipes, napkins, paper towels, hand soap....
Does anyone do this?
Any ideas on how to make this "giving tree?"
countrymom 03:08 PM 08-25-2010
great idea, except all that stuff is a tax write off for me. I've been doing care for over 5 yrs and I have only 1 parent who always brings stuff for the kids to use or to eat. Its nice that someone cares, the others don't even bother.
melissa ann 04:24 PM 08-25-2010
That sounds great. Especially with tissues and dcb always has a runny nose and keeps going through my tissues. But my dcf is sooooo cheap and heaven forbid they would donate something.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:19 PM 08-25-2010
I think that's a great idea. A previous preschool I used to help out at did a giving tree. The parents were always taking an "apple" in this case, and bringing back their donations. I think there were a least two parents every day who would drop off their donation(s). But this was a big preschool with 18 kids in each of the two pre-k classes, plus a 3 yr old class with 14 kids. But you have a pretty good chance of it working out well, I would think.
Could you make a giving tree and set it up and then let parents know what it is when they drop off or pick up? I've found that a lot of parents don't read the stuff I put in writing, like in a newsletter, but if you tell them in person, they can't miss it. But your parents may be different than our's...
Abigail 08:59 PM 08-25-2010
Someone mentioned once they have a "Helping Hands" wall with the same concept except they are hands with the donation supplies listed on them. I would avoid the supplies that are necessities because you should be expected to provide them or just charge an annual fee.

I would put things on the "leaves" or "hands" that are randomly needed supplies:
--reward stickers
--toilet paper/paper towel rolls (empty for projects)
--Boxes of familiar food items to their children (Mac N Cheese, Fruit Snacks, etc...these can be taped shut after they're empty and used for a month or so in the kitchen/shopping zone! Our preschool kids LOVED recognizing what the package was!)
--Packing Peanuts (projects and/or sensory table)
--Empty Small or Large Pop Bottles WITH LIDS (put things like sand or paint, screw the lid on really tight and let the kids see what happens. Sand makes noise and sometimes sticks to the side of the bottle. Two different colors of paint might mix together)

All these items may be things that you don't commonly come up with fast enough to complete group projects and they're not necessities, but it's going to extra step and inviting the parents to help supply unique craft opportunities with their help. They don't cost them any money either when you think about it!
QualiTcare 09:22 PM 08-25-2010
i agree with abigail about necessities.

most people pay a pretty penny for childcare and they expect soap, tissues, paper towels, etc. to be included in what they pay.

i do like the idea of a giving tree, but it would have to be materials (again, like abigail said) such as craft materials. i wouldn't even put food items on there as that's another necessity that should be covered - unless it says something like "food items that you won't use" because most people have a few things in their cabinets that will stay there forever.

my daughter's teacher put in a newsletter that they would like to have some dry erase crayons. that was understandable because it was something that couldn't be put on the regular school supply list, but i'm sure they'd get a lot of use out of them - and they're expensive if just one person buys them all.

i probably wouldn't explain to the parents what it's about either. it's pretty self explanatory - and if you tell them, "it's optional - you don't have to do it," they are still thinking, "okay, i have to bring something."

they will see it and know what it's for. if they are able to contribute then they will.
Tags:poster boards, posters
Reply Up