Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents that act like toddlers
Ariana 01:15 PM 10-05-2015
I have a new family and it's been nothing but issues since they started. They are nice people and their child is awesome but I have to remind them continuously about everything. There was a major problem with the transition week even though we had talked about it extensively and the mom never ever brought up an issue with it until the week of. The mom texts me the very first pay day asking how much she owes and when is it due, after I sent a detailed email outlining everything. She signed a contract that stated a 4:30pm pickup which she signed but continually came at 5pm so I had to write her and charge her more $$ plus write up a new contract (thanks BlackCat ). I sent a "reminder" of my sick policies just last week and today they brought the DCG in with diarrhea that has been ongoing since yesterday. I refused care and sent them packing reminding them AGAIN of my sick policy. The dad has forgotten stuff on numerous occasions and just in general these parents are driving me bonkers!! I am standing my ground on all of it but when are they going to get it??

I know that they are first time daycare parents but c'mon....what planet do they live on?
SilverSabre25 01:22 PM 10-05-2015
The planet of participation trophies and "everybody wins" and over praising and being treated like special snowflakes.
littletots 02:24 PM 10-05-2015
Crazy how some act like they should get a sticker for paying on time📅
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have a new family and it's been nothing but issues since they started. They are nice people and their child is awesome but I have to remind them continuously about everything. There was a major problem with the transition week even though we had talked about it extensively and the mom never ever brought up an issue with it until the week of. The mom texts me the very first pay day asking how much she owes and when is it due, after I sent a detailed email outlining everything. She signed a contract that stated a 4:30pm pickup which she signed but continually came at 5pm so I had to write her and charge her more $$ plus write up a new contract (thanks BlackCat ). I sent a "reminder" of my sick policies just last week and today they brought the DCG in with diarrhea that has been ongoing since yesterday. I refused care and sent them packing reminding them AGAIN of my sick policy. The dad has forgotten stuff on numerous occasions and just in general these parents are driving me bonkers!! I am standing my ground on all of it but when are they going to get it??

I know that they are first time daycare parents but c'mon....what planet do they live on?
Like toddlers, they will get it when it becomes a huge hassle to them.

I am sure right now, they are banking on you getting tired of reminding them and ultimately just doing it yourself.

Unfortunately it seems to be a norm now days...

Hang in there and no matter what, remember that you have a certain set of responsibilities and so do they.

If you don't want those two to ever get blurry then just keep on keeping on.

Ariana 04:01 PM 10-05-2015
Thanks for the commiseration everyone! You are so right BlackCat!! I know we have all been there. I am really hoping that this is the last time they mess up. I have another family who I have never ever had a problem with and they've been with me since January so it is possible to find good parents but admittedly they are few and far between. Today I know the dad missed work and when I apologized "I'm sorry you don't have backup care but she cannot stay here" the dad said "no worries, this is all on us as we are not communicating enough (him and his wife)" so I am really hoping they get it together.

I felt very proud of myself today though! It always feels good to stand behind my policies
midaycare 07:42 PM 10-05-2015
I have a very serious, long contract. And very detailed. I find parents take my rules seriously - because I explain them really well and have them in writing.

I also demand respect. As with any job, there are crappy days. But for the most part, I feel respected. I feel that stems from how our first few meetings and contract signings go.

Did you sit down and explain everything, or was some of it done via email? That might be part of the problem, if that's the case. It's hard to set a tone via email.
Ariana 06:39 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have a very serious, long contract. And very detailed. I find parents take my rules seriously - because I explain them really well and have them in writing.

I also demand respect. As with any job, there are crappy days. But for the most part, I feel respected. I feel that stems from how our first few meetings and contract signings go.

Did you sit down and explain everything, or was some of it done via email? That might be part of the problem, if that's the case. It's hard to set a tone via email.
We actually had 2 meetings where I explained everything to them and where we discussed the hours they would be needing. I sent my contract via email and they have a hard copy as well. My contract is 12 pages long and is also very serious. I resent my sickness policy last week just to reiterate the seriousness. I have never had a family this incompetent before so I don't think it is something I am doing wrong. Unless I surgically implant the info into their brain I am not sure what else to do besides enforce my rules and hope they eventually take it seriously.

I got a text today saying DCG is still sick and won't be here. So it might be starting to click with them
midaycare 10:31 AM 10-06-2015
We actually had 2 meetings where I explained everything to them and where we discussed the hours they would be needing. I sent my contract via email and they have a hard copy as well. My contract is 12 pages long and is also very serious. I resent my sickness policy last week just to reiterate the seriousness. I have never had a family this incompetent before so I don't think it is something I am doing wrong. Unless I surgically implant the info into their brain I am not sure what else to do besides enforce my rules and hope they eventually take it seriously.

I got a text today saying DCG is still sick and won't be here. So it might be starting to click with them
Maybe just a weird family, then. Not that we all aren't weird
Ariana 06:32 AM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Maybe just a weird family, then. Not that we all aren't weird
I am not weird
Miss A 06:52 AM 10-07-2015
I am dealing with a family this this too. Not t dressing g child appropriately, not sending shoes, not supplying the child's lactose free milk, getting a new phone number and not telling me, switching jobs and not telling me, showing up for care early, when I am not even dressed yet and knocking on my windows, and not paying on time, ever. I don't understand why parents can act this way. It is my job to provide car for their child, not to babysit them as well!
midaycare 07:24 AM 10-07-2015
I am not weird
Says the weird one
Reply Up