Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Word This? Trial Days
Unregistered 05:21 PM 08-05-2018
I have a new dcg 15months starting at the end of august. First time in daycare and mom is nervous for her...so she wants her daughter to come for 2 hrs this thurs and fri to help transition. She gave me a large holding fee to hold the spot for the summer and doubled it as an incentive to take her child because i was doing multiple interviews at the time. Now do I charge her for bringing her child for 2hrs each day? And im assuming she knows she cannot stay during the 2hrs but in case shes thinking she is..i wanted to send her a text wed night saying looking forward to her daughter coming and by the way you cannot stay...how would i word this? And word that it would be X amount of dollars for the 2 days. Thanks!
Unregistered 06:32 PM 08-05-2018
Do you have a contract? What about a handbook? I have worded it in my handbook/contract that "(My home) does not offer drop off care. The only care package offered is weekly. (My home) is open from AM-PM. The rate is (my rate and I then go into late fees and how they're mandatory)". I also state in my contract/handbook that due to privacy and safety adults aren't allowed for more than ten minutes. Drop off/drop in (for pick up) can be any time, but you can't have unlimited access to area where I watch children/other children.

I would just tell her to review contract/handbook if you have it in place. If not, I would talk to her in person. I think you can hash out any issues there may be. I don't know why anyone would assume two hours of care would be free. :/ If she makes issues, I would tell her the child could have came during the paid for holding time. That time is over and you don't do drop in care.
Tin Blues 08:17 PM 08-05-2018
If she’s already paid a holding fee, isn’t she already paying for the spot? Why would she be charged again?
Michael 09:08 PM 08-05-2018
Here are more threads on Trial Periods: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=trial+period
Josiegirl 02:07 AM 08-06-2018
Originally Posted by Tin Blues:
If she’s already paid a holding fee, isn’t she already paying for the spot? Why would she be charged again?
I'm thinking she paid a 1 time fee kind of an insurance of her intent, not a weekly fee for a spot.

To answer the OP question, I'd give her the hint that the 2 hr. transition times will enable her to go shopping, etc. and help you see what dcgs possible needs will be for transitioning without mommy there. Do you have a set day or half day fee you could charge her?
Good luck!! Once she's around other kids she might do fine!
Blackcat31 06:21 AM 08-06-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a new dcg 15months starting at the end of august. First time in daycare and mom is nervous for her...so she wants her daughter to come for 2 hrs this thurs and fri to help transition. She gave me a large holding fee to hold the spot for the summer and doubled it as an incentive to take her child because i was doing multiple interviews at the time. Now do I charge her for bringing her child for 2hrs each day? And im assuming she knows she cannot stay during the 2hrs but in case shes thinking she is..i wanted to send her a text wed night saying looking forward to her daughter coming and by the way you cannot stay...how would i word this? And word that it would be X amount of dollars for the 2 days. Thanks!
to bolded above....
I think that is going to be far more troublesome than getting this parent to understand she has to pay for the 2 hour "transition days".

As far as what to say to her about those transition days?
Just send her a quick e-mail and let her know that although she is only sending DCG for 2 hours, the time is still billed at $x per hour/day/week etc...however you bill.

I charge per week so if a child only attended an hour on Monday morning or the entire week 8.5 hrs a day, the rate would be the same.

I'd also consider adding something like "I know you are nervous leaving Janie on Monday so I'd like to reassure you that although I don't allow parents to stay during trial times, please know that I will make every effort to ensure Janie makes a smooth transition from mom to caregiver. I will also try to send you a few pic or updates via text so you can see how she is doing."

Consider adding in some helpful tips or hints to make drop off smoother such as making it quick and how lingering can make it worse...etc.
Unregistered 07:36 AM 08-06-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
to bolded above....
I think that is going to be far more troublesome than getting this parent to understand she has to pay for the 2 hour "transition days".

As far as what to say to her about those transition days?
Just send her a quick e-mail and let her know that although she is only sending DCG for 2 hours, the time is still billed at $x per hour/day/week etc...however you bill.

I charge per week so if a child only attended an hour on Monday morning or the entire week 8.5 hrs a day, the rate would be the same.

I'd also consider adding something like "I know you are nervous leaving Janie on Monday so I'd like to reassure you that although I don't allow parents to stay during trial times, please know that I will make every effort to ensure Janie makes a smooth transition from mom to caregiver. I will also try to send you a few pic or updates via text so you can see how she is doing."

Consider adding in some helpful tips or hints to make drop off smoother such as making it quick and how lingering can make it worse...etc.
I was doing interviews in May and she didnt need care til August. I said there would be a one time holding fee and she was fine with it. She knew i was doing other interviews so she texted me a couple days later saying she really wanted the spot and would double the holding fee.
I feel weird charging her for 2hrs because of all the money she gave me. But i dont want it to be 2hrs for 2 days this week and then another 2 days next week and so on...It adds up.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:28 AM 08-06-2018
I was doing interviews in May and she didnt need care til August. I said there would be a one time holding fee and she was fine with it. She knew i was doing other interviews so she texted me a couple days later saying she really wanted the spot and would double the holding fee.
I feel weird charging her for 2hrs because of all the money she gave me. But i dont want it to be 2hrs for 2 days this week and then another 2 days next week and so on...It adds up.
I guess doubling the holding fee is not that impressive of an offer to me. Holding a spot for over 2 months would be a huge financial hit for me (over $1400), so unless she offered to pay for the spot even though she didnt need it till Aug, I'm not sure your end of the deal is as great as you may think. Its obviously completely your choice to hold a spot, so I'm just giving a different perspective. A few hundred bucks is a heck of a deal to hold an infant spot for 2-3 months. I would just be a little cautious with mom and her expectations, so I would be very direct right off the bat. The fee she paid was to hold the spot, not provide care. If you want to give her a half day rate, I would let her know the amount and YOU pick the timeframe based on what works for the group. You dont want her coming by at lunch or nap when you are in the middle of getting things done.
So maybe something like, "I'm looking forward to getting to know Sara, so it would be no problem to have her attend on Thursday and Friday from 9 am-11am. The fee for both days will be XX and I will just need you to bring her supplies, plus payment, and make sure she is fed before you arrive! I know she will do great and you will get some kidfree time to run errands! Look forward to seeing you all!"
daycarediva 10:09 AM 08-06-2018
I never would have held the space. It would be a 175/week loss for me.

I would say.

Dcm,

I am excited to see X in the am. I included an invoice (attached to the email, electronic, in cubby, whatever) for the two days this week. To help the transition go smoother, I tell all parents to make drop offs very short. I will send you a text update as soon as she settles in.

Thanks,
provider
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 08-06-2018
I get it ....But it was HER choice to pay double

Plus it teaches her that she gets her way if the price is right.... which is great sometimes but usually the parent begins to believe they are buying a lot more than they really are and pretty soon “special” becomes expected and when you don’t agree, these types of parent absolutely lose it...

Stick to your contract..
Unregistered 06:27 AM 08-08-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I never would have held the space. It would be a 175/week loss for me.

I would say.

Dcm,

I am excited to see X in the am. I included an invoice (attached to the email, electronic, in cubby, whatever) for the two days this week. To help the transition go smoother, I tell all parents to make drop offs very short. I will send you a text update as soon as she settles in.

Thanks,
provider
Ok so this is what I got, tell me what you think!

Goodafternoon DCM!
Looking forward to seeing DCG tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know for tomorrow and friday, the rate for care will be a total of $40. To help transitions go smoother, I tell all parents to make drop offs very short and I will send a text update as soon as she settles in. Most of the time these transitions are harder on the parents than the child . Im sure she will have a blast playing with new friends!
Tags:deposit policy, fee, trial period
Reply Up