Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much "Face Time"/Interaction for Infants?
Givingthemgrace 07:51 AM 01-16-2015
I have been reading through past threads and have learned to be much more hands off with my own older kids. (PS if you have any book reccomendations to help me learn about play, that would be helpful! I just rented Parent Power from the library and I'm excited to get into it this weekend!)
So with babies, how much time per day do I need to be singing/talking/making eye contact? The books I have been gifted makes it seem like it needs to be as constant as possible, but I also know she has fairly constant attention at home.

Thank you!!
jenboo 08:55 AM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by Givingthemgrace:
I have been reading through past threads and have learned to be much more hands off with my own older kids. (PS if you have any book reccomendations to help me learn about play, that would be helpful! I just rented Parent Power from the library and I'm excited to get into it this weekend!)
So with babies, how much time per day do I need to be singing/talking/making eye contact? The books I have been gifted makes it seem like it needs to be as constant as possible, but I also know she has fairly constant attention at home.

Thank you!!
My 6 month old DCB is awake for less than 4 hours while he is here. I would say I personally spend 1.5 hours throughout the day giving him mostly 1 on 1 attention. The others kids give him some as well
Starburst 07:19 PM 01-17-2015
When I saw "facetime" I thought you were talking about facetime on a smart phone and was about to say 'none'; since it's recommended children under 2 not be exposed to any type of screentime (computer, TV, tablet, phone screen).

I don't think there is a limit or a maximum, but just as much as possible since there maybe times when you can't have them facing you or have other things that need your attention. Plus as much as they do need interaction, it's not your job to entertain them and they do need sometime to observe their surroundings and develop their own thoughts without constant over-stimulation and distractions.

I think that's one of the reasons a lot of kids these days are impatient; when their babies, the parents are too worried about keeping the child entertained (with toys, electronics, and consistently up in their face) so they don't fuss. This usually tends to continue until they are much older (it's hard to break habits once they are formed) to the point where the child is used to being the center of attention and relies on someone constantly entertaining them to prevent boredom (which can lead to tantrums/ misbehavior if they do get bored and don't know how to deal with it appropriately).

For the record, before anyone puts words in my mouth: I'm by no means saying you should ignore or neglect a child and I am not underplaying the importance of interaction; I am only saying that children should have some short bursts (probably no more that 5 minutes at a time for an infant or toddler) of time every so often in a calm/silent environment to just observe and appreciate their surroundings.

A good book we read in one of my Child Development classes is called 'The Power of Play: Learning What Comes Naturally' by David Elkind. It focuses on the importance of simplicity, imagination, and letting children be children (it points out how many children's toys nowadays are modeled after adult electronics/ props).
nothingwithoutjoy 07:57 PM 01-17-2015
One of my favorite books about infants is Trees Make the Best Mobiles: Simple Ways to Raise Your Child in a Complex World. It's a parenting book, but much of it applies well to child care as well.
Kimskiddos 06:14 AM 01-18-2015
I have a 7mo active and independent little dcg. Except for diaper changes, bottles and the occasional boo boo (she is pulling up on everything!) I don't actively give her "face time". But while she is playing and say making noises, I will imitate and engage her. If she needs attention then she will come to me. I do talk/sing/be silly/redirect her and all the kiddos to be somewhat involved in their play. But I prefer them to mostly play without my direction. My kiddos are very good and imaginative players.
Tags:interaction
Reply Up