Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle Non-Nappers?
childcaremom 02:33 AM 06-02-2015
I only allow non-napping from those kids about to start school in the Fall and only starting in June. I know most of you don't allow non-nappers in your program but I am hoping for some ideas from those of you that do have them in your care.

So I've now entered the non-napping period. I have had a family request this for dcg so we will be starting this today.

Usually I have no issue with this and will have an area for them to do activities quietly while the rest of the group is sleeping. So, reading, puzzles, colouring, etc. No toys for the first hour.

In this instance, this dcg has still been napping 75% of the time, falling asleep within the first 30 minutes of rest time, for between 1-2 hours, so I'm of the opinion that this is not going to be an easy transition.

I plan to tell the family that if she is tired and asks to lie down that I will allow her to rest. Also, that if she is loud and disruptive that she will be required to lie down.

How do you handle it?
Josiegirl 03:20 AM 06-02-2015
Probably the same as you intend to. I haven't had any dcps request their child stay awake as they all know how cranky they can get by the time they go home.
What I do now is let them rest their bodies for half an hour or so, with books, and if they fall asleep then fine. If not, they're allowed puzzles, etc. What about making busy boxes for her to use each day, changing them up a little to keep them interesting? As long as dcg doesn't become disruptive to the others and you have a space for her apart from the nappers, it could work out.
Play Care 03:59 AM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Probably the same as you intend to. I haven't had any dcps request their child stay awake as they all know how cranky they can get by the time they go home.
What I do now is let them rest their bodies for half an hour or so, with books, and if they fall asleep then fine. If not, they're allowed puzzles, etc. What about making busy boxes for her to use each day, changing them up a little to keep them interesting? As long as dcg doesn't become disruptive to the others and you have a space for her apart from the nappers, it could work out.

childcaremom 04:15 AM 06-02-2015
Thanks, ladies!
Leigh 05:44 AM 06-02-2015
I do what my pediatrician suggested. He told me that kids NEED naps through age 6, but that sometimes parents take them away early or kids just refuse them. He says that while we can't force them to nap, we can force them to rest, and that non-nappers should still lie down for at least an hour. That's what I do...I tell them that they don't have to sleep, but they do need to let their bodies relax. If they fall asleep, it's because they need it.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I do what my pediatrician suggested. He told me that kids NEED naps through age 6, but that sometimes parents take them away early or kids just refuse them. He says that while we can't force them to nap, we can force them to rest, and that non-nappers should still lie down for at least an hour. That's what I do...I tell them that they don't have to sleep, but they do need to let their bodies relax. If they fall asleep, it's because they need it.
Same here.

I always stress to parents that I don't accept kids that aren't willing to participate with an afternoon rest period.

I will and do not force kids to sleep but I do require them to lie down and take a break for a minimum of 60 minutes. VERY rarely do I have a child that doesn't fall asleep. If they don't, they are provided with audio books to listen to while they lie down. I say rarely because for the first time in 10 years of having ONLY 0-5's I actually have a new 5 that does not sleep.

However, the child does lay quietly and listens to the stories without complaint. I think they appreciate the down time too.

If they truly do not need a nap like most parents state, the child (ren) probably won't fall asleep.

When stressing this to the parents I always say rest and never say nap. For some reason the word choice placates parents and I don't have pushback about requiring all the kids to rest.
spinnymarie 11:52 AM 06-03-2015
I do exactly as you do - the only kids that don't have to lie on their cot are the ones starting school within two months, or are already in school.
I would attempt to keep their daughter up, only because my own daughter had such a rough transition to not-napping during school. She still falls asleep on weekends at 6.5 yrs, and has been the crabbiest. But I would definitely allow her to sleep if she requested. I have a soon-to-be second grader here today, she was the first one asleep, after her request to nap
daycarediva 03:56 PM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

This is what I do. I have a non napping ALMOST 5yo. The other one going to K naps likes a champ, 2-3 hours and still sleeps 10-11.5 at night. It's going to be a rough transition to K for him. Mom and I have decided on cutting the nap by 20 minute increments starting at the end of this month.

Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I do exactly as you do - the only kids that don't have to lie on their cot are the ones starting school within two months, or are already in school.
I would attempt to keep their daughter up, only because my own daughter had such a rough transition to not-napping during school. She still falls asleep on weekends at 6.5 yrs, and has been the crabbiest. But I would definitely allow her to sleep if she requested. I have a soon-to-be second grader here today, she was the first one asleep, after her request to nap
Yup! My ds is 7, and still naps on weekends if he lays down, and he often takes a cat nap after school. Sometimes he falls asleep at 6:30/7. So does my K dcb.
childcaremom 10:02 AM 06-04-2015
So Monday and Tuesday were okay. There was a lot of novelty of being allowed to stay up. Yesterday was a rough day all around and she was tired. Today was a lot of sitting, not playing. At quiet time, one minute she was reading books, the next minute curled up and sleeping.

Not bad for the first week.

And yes, my oldest napped until he started school. What a rough time he had doing a full day! I even pulled him out for the afternoons until after Christmas holidays.

My next ones I stopped the naps the summer before school started. It was still rough for them and they napped every day when they got home for an hour or so for the first couple of months. After that it was much better.
kitykids3 10:59 AM 06-04-2015
First thing that came to mind is how old is the child? Most states require a rest for children under 5, even if the parent asked, I couldn't accomodate.
For the rare child here that doesn't nap I still have them lay down for a half hour. After that I let them quietly do things in the playroom (everyone sleeps in other rooms), such as color, puzzles, games, books, etc. I have special toys that are set aside just for non-nappers to help keep them occupied and quiet.
childcaremom 11:24 AM 06-04-2015
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
First thing that came to mind is how old is the child? Most states require a rest for children under 5, even if the parent asked, I couldn't accomodate.
For the rare child here that doesn't nap I still have them lay down for a half hour. After that I let them quietly do things in the playroom (everyone sleeps in other rooms), such as color, puzzles, games, books, etc. I have special toys that are set aside just for non-nappers to help keep them occupied and quiet.
Legally unlicensed in Canada

Dcg just told me that she thought the idea that she couldn't sleep was a bad idea....

She can sort it out with her mom. It doesn't bother me and I figure she will adjust eventually.
Tags:non-nappers
Reply Up