Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Something for Cough for 2 Yr. Old or Exclude?
kitykids3 12:30 PM 02-24-2016
I have a 2 year old that has a cough and sneezing all day. The cough is not much when up, but she has spent about 80% of naptime awake and coughing. I asked mom to bring something for it tomorrow and she says she can't take anything yet.
Is this true? (I don't have my own kids so I never deal with figuring out what they can and can't have). She says she puts vapor rub on them at night and have a humidifier. I don't have humidifier. She'll probably coat her in Vicks, but would you exclude tomorrow if you had child like this at 2 and can't take anything coughing non stop (but only at naptime)?
NillaWafers 12:54 PM 02-24-2016
Yes, it's true. The only thing out there for that age is homeopathic honey stuff. I think you can start with mucinex DM at 4 IIRC.

I would exclude if she can't sleep, she's not well enough to be at daycare if she can't participate in the routine, and naptime is part of that.

I would definitely not be dragging out my humidifier and vicks for a sick kid in my care.
Leigh 01:54 PM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
I have a 2 year old that has a cough and sneezing all day. The cough is not much when up, but she has spent about 80% of naptime awake and coughing. I asked mom to bring something for it tomorrow and she says she can't take anything yet.
Is this true? (I don't have my own kids so I never deal with figuring out what they can and can't have). She says she puts vapor rub on them at night and have a humidifier. I don't have humidifier. She'll probably coat her in Vicks, but would you exclude tomorrow if you had child like this at 2 and can't take anything coughing non stop (but only at naptime)?
Does the cough sound croup like? That's the first sign I notice of croup-coughing at nap, but not the rest of the day.
finsup 02:28 PM 02-24-2016
Yup, very true If the cough is manageable during the day, and they are participating well enough I allow them to stay. If the cough is all the time, making it hard for them to participate (or not nap at all/keep others up) or it sounds like croup, they go go home.
ColorfulSunburst 03:18 PM 02-24-2016
let her watch this video. She also can use black radish. It works better.
I use it if I get cough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqwTm5ONYjM.
Ariana 03:22 PM 02-24-2016
I use the homeopathic stuff and I find it works really well. I also would prop up her sleep cot or pack n play so her head is on a angle. The coughing is likely coming from post nasal drip if it's worse when lying down.

I personally would exclude for this. I only allow for a slight cough unless accompanied by a DR note saying it is asthma or other related.
Thriftylady 03:26 PM 02-24-2016
It could be a cold. But it could also be allergies. How long have you had this kiddo? Has she had issues before? I only ask since DD and I both have year round allergies and she has asthma. It took them YEARS to properly diagnose her. She was born with what her pedi called a "snot nosed cold" and had it for 8 years!!! Until a new pedi diagnosed her and put her on allergy and asthma meds. Turns out coughing at night (or nap time) is a symptom of some for asthma. But if it is all of a sudden like, it likely isn't that. I would ask mom to see the doc if it is lingering.
Unregistered 03:30 PM 02-24-2016
[quote=Ariana;57 I also would prop up her sleep cot or pack n play so her head is on a angle. The coughing is likely coming from post nasal drip if it's worse when lying down..[/QUOTE]

Be careful about this. Where I live this is considered modification of a crib and is not legal.
kitykids3 07:11 PM 02-24-2016
Thanks everybody. I had been debating on it after nap, but then she got up, had snack and 10 minutes into playing she threw up so she's not coming anyways now tomorrow. Cough just started yesterday. Never that bad at nap time for her and I've had her since birth. No allergies. Typical little kid colds on and off. Thanks.
Reply Up