Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Balancing Home/Daycare Life
Pepperth 05:53 AM 08-08-2016
I'm struggling with the ever delicate balance between daycare and my home life. I've been really slacking since summer started. I'm curious how others balance their daycare with their home life/kids. For example, I'm interested in keeping a daily schedule for myself that includes daycare prep, housecleaning, etc without it interfering with family time. I used to have really early kids so I'd wake up really early, get them back to sleep and get a lot of work done. Now that I don't have to wake up so early, I can't seem to accomplish anything in the morning other than drink coffee and read the forum/facebook. I've figured out that I'm horrible at accomplishing anything after my own children go to bed. I think I'm just the type that needs to put myself on a schedule, and was curious what that might look like for others.
Boymom 06:02 AM 08-08-2016
I was having issues with this as well! I was cleaning for 30-60 minutes after the daycare kids left every single day and that was cutting into dinner time and spending time with my kids.

I felt like daycare was my life for awhile. It was draining!

I decided that I will only do daycare stuff when the daycare kids are here. During their free play before the dck's get picked up, that's when I'm wiping down tables and sweeping, etc. And I always load the dishwasher after lunch time, so I don't have to worry about dishes at night!

It will probably affect my time/space percentage since I'm not cleaning during non-daycare hours, but I don't care because I want to spend time with my family :-) I was getting so burned out.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but that's what I do! And I work on receipts and stuff during nap time sometimes so I don't get behind. I don't want to work on that stuff on the weekends anymore!!
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I'm struggling with the ever delicate balance between daycare and my home life. I've been really slacking since summer started. I'm curious how others balance their daycare with their home life/kids. For example, I'm interested in keeping a daily schedule for myself that includes daycare prep, housecleaning, etc without it interfering with family time. I used to have really early kids so I'd wake up really early, get them back to sleep and get a lot of work done. Now that I don't have to wake up so early, I can't seem to accomplish anything in the morning other than drink coffee and read the forum/facebook. I've figured out that I'm horrible at accomplishing anything after my own children go to bed. I think I'm just the type that needs to put myself on a schedule, and was curious what that might look like for others.
I'd just plan on getting up early and getting stuff done then.

That way any wake time your kids have you aren't spending tending to chores and can devote to face time with them instead.

I know for some people it's hard to get up early but it sounds like it's when you got the most done....so seems like an easy answer.
Lovisa 06:32 AM 08-08-2016
I already wake up early for kids to start arriving at 5:20am, so getting up earlier for me is a definite no go lol. I LOVE sleep!

All kiddos are gone by 4:30pm or so, and I spend a solid 30-60 minutes a day cleaning up, vacuuming, doing dishes, etc., once they all leave. Then I help my own kids with homework, make dinner, make sure my kids are showered, brushed and flossed, and during that time, my husband goes around and makes sure the house is "daycare ready". In the morning as kids are arriving, I focus on coffee for myself. No way am I cleaning before I properly caffeinate myself.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:43 AM 08-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd just plan on getting up early and getting stuff done then.

That way any wake time your kids have you aren't spending tending to chores and can devote to face time with them instead.

I know for some people it's hard to get up early but it sounds like it's when you got the most done....so seems like an easy answer.
This I get up at 5 in the morning (1st kidlet is 6:15) that gives me time to do a cleaning item (ex: mop kitchen floor, vacuum playroom, etc) I always start a load of laundry when I get up. I know what I am having for dinner so I can put in crock pot, oven what ever on time. Check for any lunch prep. Wipe down bathroom. Some mornings I may switch out toys.
But, for me it really starts the night before. I be sure we clean up the playroom before littles leave. I be sure that all of my dishes are done before I go to bed. All laundry gets put away. It is not big things that I do at night but it sets me up for a good morning.
I generally clean house (non childcare area) on Thursday evenings (dh gets home later that night) This way it is clean for the weekend. If I don't get it done, then it is Saturday.
KiwiKids 01:01 PM 08-08-2016
I wake up at 5am to have some time for me. Even if it is just walking around the block a few times to get some exercise in. I clean during afternoon nap and then my husband works nights so I focus on the kids after the last daycare child leaves ( latest pick up is no later than 5pm ). Then I get them in bed by 7:30 and they read for 30min-1hr depending on their age while I clean up and have things ready for the next day. I'm in bed by 9pm and asleep by 11pm.
KiwiKids 01:04 PM 08-08-2016
I should also mention my kids are all early risers. They pop up at 6am without fail 7 days a week. Works for me because I'm an early bird too.
wonderfullisa 04:36 AM 08-09-2016
This is an area in which I constantly struggle.
My first family (of 3) arrives at 530am, and leaves around 520pm. Sometimes it's closer to 6pm.
My own children begin bedtime at 8pm.
Add in the every other weekend kids, and there isn't much downtime.
I've really been working on less relaxing (lol, cause naptime is SO relaxing) during downtime, to make sure I get the dishes ran during the afternoon.
I also get up at 445am (and I am NOT a morning person). This gives me time to wipe down, vacuum, sweep in the mornings if I didnt do it the night before.
It also gives me a few minutes to sit and drink my hot tea in quiet.
DaveA 05:03 AM 08-09-2016
Classroom gets picked up as DCKs go home and cleaned right after last one hits the door.

Weekday suppers are quick fix meals or things I can do prep work during naptime.

A lady comes every other week and deep cleans the stuff I tend to miss.

I do set up/ classroom prep in the morning before DCKs get here.
jenboo 08:30 AM 08-09-2016
Wake up 15 min before I open and get myself ready.
I make breakfast as the kids arrive. After breakfast i rinse the dishes.
Once the kids are sleeping for nap, i unload and reload the dishwasher. I have one child who has a slightly different nap schedule so he plays nearby while i do this.
I also start dinner depending on what we are having.
Then I eat my lunch and clean around the house a little (laundry, living room, bathrooms).
Then I relax the rest of nap (nap time is 3 hours).
About 15 min before I close, we clean up and I vacuum and mop.
Then I finish making dinner.
My son goes to bed at 8 so I have a solid 2 hours with him in the evening.
Once of us gets our son ready for bed while the other cleans up the dinner mess.
Once he is in bed, Dh and I watch TV while finishing laundry (if needed).

I clean as we go throughout the day and rotate laundry as well.
Unregistered 05:07 PM 08-09-2016
I clean as I go during the day. I often clean the toilet, and wipe down bathroom down before kids come.

I have two separate DC rooms and that helps. I close the door at night and forget about it. I take out diapers from the back porch each day after the kids go. That's all. Oh! I'm one with carpet still. So I vacuum each day after they leave or before they arrive too.

I relax after I clean up the kitchen at rest time. Kids eat at noon. By 1:00 I'm taking my break! I need my break!

Has worked for me for years.
Lil_Diddle 10:28 PM 08-09-2016
I'm fortunate to have a designated daycare space that is separate from my living area. I get things ready 15 minutes before the first DCK and clean up after most all the children leave. Then at 5:30 I shut the door and I'm a wife and mom and not a childcare provider. I have set hours I provide care, 5:30 is the latest because I want to spend time with my family. During naptime I take 30-45 minutes for myself to eat lunch/whatever and the remainder of the time I work on daycare stuff or housework, so that most of my evening time is quality time for myself and my children.
childcaremom 03:28 AM 08-10-2016
I am contracted until 5 but generally my dcks are gone by 4-4:30. Once the last dck leaves, my family is my focus. I don't clean afterhours unless there is a HUGE mess.

I get up early. I vacuum/tidy before my dcks arrive. Do the baking for snacks and prep lunch.

Rest time I do a bit of dinner prep. Dishes. Clean up meal/snack area. I work on my course. Then take my break.

All toys get picked up before dcks leave. We try to be outside during pick up time so there is less to tidy.
Reply Up