Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Calling You Names
Unregistered 04:04 AM 09-02-2016
I have a dcg4 in my care for two months. Parents seem easy going. Never had any issues with them or the child. Yesterday the girl said to me "my mom calls you two-ton Terri". I was shocked. I told her that calling someone names is mean and hurts feelings-just as I tell them if they called another child names. I am not happy. Now I look at this mom in a whole new light.
childcaremom 04:09 AM 09-02-2016

I don't even have words.

I'm sorry. That's awful.
Josiegirl 04:10 AM 09-02-2016
It'd be difficult to NOT see the dcm in a different light now. I think I'd have a talk with the group, as a whole, about name-calling, how disrespectful it is, etc., etc. Maybe even find something on the internet for an article to send home to dcps to ensure they are the good role model at home. Maybe even use examples and include the name dcm used. I can be passive-aggressive like that but dcm needs to be careful. Little children have big ears and big mouths and DO tell all.
Often times parents need teaching as well as children.
laundrymom 04:22 AM 09-02-2016
Ok. First of all, I'm so sorry for her behavior. It's mean and ugly and rude.
Second, do you want to keep them? Or has she destroyed your trust?
If you want to keep them, I'd tell mom,
Susie recently said some hurtful words and while she didn't direct them towards her friends, an apology is in order.
What did Susie say that she need apologize for?
Well, she's not the one who needs to apologize, you are. She told me your nickname for me. It's mean, rude, and hurtful.

Or,
Mom, I'm unable to care for Susie any longer. She mentioned your nickname for me and I don't believe I can see you everyday without hearing the name in my mind. Im disappointed that you would refer to me that way knowing how much I do to keep her safe and happy. Our relationship is beyond repair.
Rockgirl 04:27 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Susie recently said some hurtful words and while she didn't direct them towards her friends, an apology is in order.
Well, she's not the one who needs to apologize, you are. She told me your nickname for me. It's mean, rude, and hurtful.

Or,
Mom, I'm unable to care for Susie any longer. She mentioned your nickname for me and I don't believe I can see you everyday without hearing the name in my mind. Im disappointed that you would refer to me that way knowing how much I do to keep her safe and happy. Our relationship is beyond repair.
Perfect. I'd go with the second one. I wouldn't be able to face this dcm every day, knowing about this.

I'm sorry people can be so mean and hurtful.
daycarediva 05:00 AM 09-02-2016

Or,
THIS. I am so sorry that was said about you. I am also sorry for the young girl being raised to hear that language towards people she is intended to care for and respect. It is not something I would put up with.
MissAnn 05:12 AM 09-02-2016
Sticks and stones will break my bones but words can never hurt me.....hogwash! I am so sorry she said this about you.
racemom 05:33 AM 09-02-2016
I am so sorry to hear that someone would show such disrespect to you. We become such an important part of these children's lives, and it hurts me to think someone would say that in front of their child who I am sure has grown to love you.
Miss A 05:51 AM 09-02-2016
There are no words for this. I am hurting for you! How awful a thing to say, especially in front of a child.

Mike 06:00 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It'd be difficult to NOT see the dcm in a different light now. I think I'd have a talk with the group, as a whole, about name-calling, how disrespectful it is, etc., etc. Maybe even find something on the internet for an article to send home to dcps to ensure they are the good role model at home. Maybe even use examples and include the name dcm used. I can be passive-aggressive like that but dcm needs to be careful. Little children have big ears and big mouths and DO tell all.
Often times parents need teaching as well as children.

Or,
If you don't want to lose dcg, I'd do one of the first 2 above. If you are considering letting her go, the 3rd one.

I've had my share of name calling and quite often, I choose to no longer have anything to do with that person.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a dcg4 in my care for two months. Parents seem easy going. Never had any issues with them or the child. Yesterday the girl said to me "my mom calls you two-ton Terri". I was shocked. I told her that calling someone names is mean and hurts feelings-just as I tell them if they called another child names. I am not happy. Now I look at this mom in a whole new light.
I'm sorry. I've had a similar experience.
I addressed the parent and kept the child in care.
Once I brought it up, it seems the parent was the one uncomfortable seeing me everyay. They rarely made eye contact or lingered at drop off or pick up.
I suppose it could have gone worse but I felt better because I addressed it.

Baby Beluga 06:23 AM 09-02-2016
Oh my, I am so sorry. And how awful for DCG to hear such a thing from her mom, of all people
Mad_Pistachio 06:24 AM 09-02-2016
I have a somewhat off-topic question. my English is letting me down.
what does it mean? racial slur?
I am not being sarcastic or anything, I really don't know.

I once had a child bring the j-word from daycare, and I didn't know what it was, thought he made it up... until his Mom explained to me. I think my armpit hair moved when she did. but I really didn't know, otherwise I'd nip it in the bud right then and there.
Leigh 06:31 AM 09-02-2016
My opinion: The DCM wouldn't call you that if she respected you and had good feelings toward you. Personally, if I had heard something like that (and there is NO way that the child would have the capacity to make that up), I would be looking for a replacement for that family.

I would want send a basic term letter stating something like "I'm no longer able to care for XXX. Her last day will be XXX" and SIGN it two-ton Teri.
Unregistered 06:31 AM 09-02-2016
OP here. Thank you all for your kind words. I have decided, since this mom comes into MY home everyday, to term and explain to her why. I simply cannot be comfortable with someone who clearly disrespects me-especially in front of their child. Had the situation be reversed, I am sure this mom would be uncomfortable leaving her child with me. I run a top notch program and have no shortage of clients, as this mom had to wait 3 months before I could accept her into my care. Her snotty "mean girl" behavior just cost her child a loving, nurturing provider. I just have to wonder if this is moms resentment over the fact that her one year old recently took her first steps-away from mom and into my arms at drop off-but what can be expected when the child is in my care 60+ hours a week?
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I have a somewhat off-topic question. my English is letting me down.
what does it mean? racial slur?
I am not being sarcastic or anything, I really don't know.

I once had a child bring the j-word from daycare, and I didn't know what it was, thought he made it up... until his Mom explained to me. I think my armpit hair moved when she did. but I really didn't know, otherwise I'd nip it in the bud right then and there.
Calling her "two ton Terri" is implying the OP is over-weight.
Very childish and rude, especially coming from an adult.
KiwiKids 06:36 AM 09-02-2016
I think I would address it directly because I would NOT be able to pretend like it didn't happen.

I don't know if I would terminate care, I have a pretty thick skin and I know that DCM would be ten times more embarrassed after I called her on it.

But, if it hurt you and you don't need their grief, I would use the suggestions in this thread. If you are going to think of that name every day when you see DCM, it isn't worth it and she seems like the type of person who needs to learn the hard way that you don't take a good and caring daycare provider for granted.
KiwiKids 06:37 AM 09-02-2016
OP here. Thank you all for your kind words. I have decided, since this mom comes into MY home everyday, to term and explain to her why. I simply cannot be comfortable with someone who clearly disrespects me-especially in front of their child. Had the situation be reversed, I am sure this mom would be uncomfortable leaving her child with me. I run a top notch program and have no shortage of clients, as this mom had to wait 3 months before I could accept her into my care. Her snotty "mean girl" behavior just cost her child a loving, nurturing provider. I just have to wonder if this is moms resentment over the fact that her one year old recently took her first steps-away from mom and into my arms at drop off-but what can be expected when the child is in my care 60+ hours a week?

Oh yeah! After reading this she would be GONE here too.
Mad_Pistachio 06:37 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Calling her "two ton Terri" is implying the OP is over-weight.
Very childish and rude, especially coming from an adult.
oh...
I'm sorry. wtf is wrong with people...
I mean, she can have any opinion on anyone's appearance, but using this language, especially in front of a child...

I don't have any advice. OP, do what you are most comfortable with. I have a feeling this name-calling won't go away...
sorry again. I really had no idea.
laundrymom 07:29 AM 09-02-2016
Why isnt important.
When people show you who they are, believe them. I think instead of resentment, she's just mean.

Second Home 07:48 AM 09-02-2016
I'm sorry this happened . I just wish people could be nice .
Good for you standing up for yourself .
Josiegirl 09:52 AM 09-02-2016
I agree completely with what you decided OP. It IS your home and you deserve respect from all who enter it! Dcm s@rewed it up for herself. So many people have lost their common sense and sense of decency. They let anything spew out of their mouths no matter what. I'm glad you're letting them go, but REALLY glad you're telling her why.

Wasn't there a similar thing that happened a short while ago on here? IIRC dcm got real belligerent to the poster, the thread became extremely long, then the poster never returned or updated......AFAIK she never came back.
Unregistered 11:13 AM 09-02-2016
Yes Josiegirl it was an email from what I can remember
mommyneedsadayoff 11:17 AM 09-02-2016
I am so sorry she said that about you! That is so mean and ugly and I am so glad you are going to let her go. She needs to be a better role model for her child and to just be a decent human being.
Mike 12:16 PM 09-02-2016
Good that you are terming.

I would do this:

Originally Posted by Leigh:
My opinion: The DCM wouldn't call you that if she respected you and had good feelings toward you. Personally, if I had heard something like that (and there is NO way that the child would have the capacity to make that up), I would be looking for a replacement for that family.

I would want send a basic term letter stating something like "I'm no longer able to care for XXX. Her last day will be XXX" and SIGN it two-ton Teri.

Boymom 12:24 PM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:

I was going to say this too. Good for you for terming! I just can't believe someone would say that about someone, especially in front of their kid. I really hope their kid doesn't end up being a bully because of the mom :-(
Meeko 12:45 PM 09-02-2016
I am so mad FOR you! That DCM is so very, very rude. I'm glad you're terming. I would too.

Be strong, because you'll most likely get a lame apology. Not because she truly is (she wouldn't have said it if she thought it was wrong) but because she doesn't want to look for new daycare.

She may even try and blame the child, but a 4 year old couldn't come up with that slur.

Again so sorry to hear this.

I am a "fluffy" woman myself. I have no problems with the kids telling me I'm fat or asking if I have a baby in my tummy but I would never stand for an adult being rude.
Mike 05:36 PM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I am a "fluffy" woman myself. I have no problems with the kids telling me I'm fat or asking if I have a baby in my tummy but I would never stand for an adult being rude.
I had quite a stomach back in the 90's and 1 little girl I babysat loved it. When she got tired, she would sit on my lap, rest her head on my "pillow" and fall asleep within minutes.

I've lost weight since then, but still have a little pillow and I've had kids mention it and it never bothered me, but if an adult says anything, that would be very immature, and if an adult said something in front of their child,
Meeko 04:19 PM 09-03-2016
I'm itching for an update! How did the mom react to being termed?
lovemydaycare0912 06:00 PM 09-03-2016
Good for you for terming! I am so sorry people are so rude. Proud you stuck up for yourself!
Josiegirl 04:53 AM 09-04-2016
All I can picture is dcm placing all the blame on her dd and taking none of it herself.
daycare 07:07 AM 09-04-2016
I have delt with this both directly and indirectly do to my culture.

I have found that it was a window of opportunity to teach something to both the parents and the children but this was just me.

It did hurt and it did suck. Having to confront a parent about it was not easy.
Your situation is different, sounds like this parent was just out right being mean. What a horrible thing to have your child hear. No wonder so many children are so disrespectful these days. Apple does not fall too far from the tree.

Hugs to you.
Unregistered 03:00 PM 09-04-2016
All I can picture is dcm placing all the blame on her dd and taking none of it herself.
Your a WISE woman-because that is exactly what this mom did. She was quite embarrassed when I confronted her and very apology etic...that her daughter repeated what was said. No apology for being a rude and mean person. Just kept saying that her daughter shouldn't have repeated that, then started saying that her daughter took what was said out of context, then when she realized I wasn't budging on the termination, she started apologizing that her daughter would "make something like that up". I truly lost all respect for her. Want to know the real kicker? This woman is a first grade teacher and also a dance instructor at a local studio. Sad to know she is shaping the minds of other children besides her own
Unregistered 03:04 PM 09-04-2016
And not that it matters, but I am 5'9" and weigh #160...15lbs UNDER what my doctor says is my ideal body weight.
Josiegirl 04:46 PM 09-04-2016
Unbelievable but in this day and age, not surprising. I find people passing the buck to be such a common thing, never taking the blame. What really shows her character(not that it wasn't showing before with the name-callng!!)is sinking down and blaming her own child. That's got to be lowest of the low. Why can't a grown woman, an adult responsible for birthing, raising and shaping another human being for crying out loud...why can't she admit she made a major error that was thoughtless and unkind.
What she is teaching her own dd with her actions will speak 100% more loudly than any words that'll ever come out of her mouth.
mommyneedsadayoff 04:57 PM 09-04-2016
Unbelievable but in this day and age, not surprising. I find people passing the buck to be such a common thing, never taking the blame. What really shows her character(not that it wasn't showing before with the name-callng!!)is sinking down and blaming her own child. That's got to be lowest of the low. Why can't a grown woman, an adult responsible for birthing, raising and shaping another human being for crying out loud...why can't she admit she made a major error that was thoughtless and unkind.
What she is teaching her own dd with her actions will speak 100% more loudly than any words that'll ever come out of her mouth.
Right?! Not only was what she said mean and ugly, but then, when she has a chance to be an adult and admit wrong and apologize, she doubles down on her immaturity and blames her kid

I'm sorry you went through that OP, but good riddance! Glad you are free of her!
Mike 05:28 PM 09-04-2016
Your a WISE woman-because that is exactly what this mom did. She was quite embarrassed when I confronted her and very apology etic...that her daughter repeated what was said. No apology for being a rude and mean person. Just kept saying that her daughter shouldn't have repeated that, then started saying that her daughter took what was said out of context, then when she realized I wasn't budging on the termination, she started apologizing that her daughter would "make something like that up". I truly lost all respect for her. Want to know the real kicker? This woman is a first grade teacher and also a dance instructor at a local studio. Sad to know she is shaping the minds of other children besides her own

Definitely not the kind of person I'd want to deal with daily, or at all.
Blackcat31 07:05 PM 09-04-2016
And not that it matters, but I am 5'9" and weigh #160...15lbs UNDER what my doctor says is my ideal body weight.
I'm confused as to why the DCM would call you that.
5'9" and 160lbs... That weight is slim for that height.
I'm wondering if dcg really might be taking something out of context or misunderstanding.
You said you've never had any other issues with family and liked them until this incident?
Mad_Pistachio 09:48 AM 09-05-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm confused as to why the DCM would call you that.
5'9" and 160lbs... That weight is slim for that height.
I'm wondering if dcg really might be taking something out of context or misunderstanding.
You said you've never had any other issues with family and liked them until this incident?
OP seems to be pretty tall (that's from a 5'3" position), and to a dance instructor appear to be heavy, even not being overweight at all.
which does not excuse the nasty comment...

I personally know someone who considers any woman over size 2 fat. and again, I'm a short and large-boned person who can never be size 2 without looking like an Auschwitz escapee (at 4, I looked like I was tortured by starvation). and no, I don't keep that aforementioned person around me: too toxic.
BumbleBee 12:45 PM 09-05-2016
I've had this happen when a 3 year old repeated what was said about me at home. That parent also placed the blame on their child. I sent them on their way. I've had 3 calls from that parent in the last year inquiring if I have openings. I'm always full.
Tags:inappropriate talk - parent, name calling
Reply Up