Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Child Who Needs Constant Reassurance
organicdclady 09:45 AM 09-08-2016
Over the last several weeks dcb 3.5 has been constantly asking questions that he clearly knows the answer to. It is getting to the point that myself and the other children are so annoyed we just ignore him. But he is persisistent. He will not stop asking. He will ask, is this a train? Is this a marker? Is this a chair? I will set his lunch in front of him and he will immediately ask if that is his lunch.
I don't know what to do with him anymore. I have tried responding with a question like, well is it? Or you know what that is. Redirecting, ignoring, nothing is working. I know it sounds innocent but I'm being serious when I say he will ask a minimum of 30 random questions an hour. And he won't stop asking. Shoving the toy in my face or other children's. Until we react.
At the same time, he has also been fabricating stories about the most random things. Did you take your brothers toy? No, the dog took his toy. Please do not play with your food. I wasn't playing with my food, dcg is playing with her food.
I am not sure if the two are connected, is he really trying to determine the truth about things? Is there confusion between reality and made up stories?
I just do not know what to do with him anymore. We have talked about things that are real and things that are made up, played games to identify what objects are, their physical attributes etc.
The other kids don't want to play with him anymore and I don't really want to listen.
Any ideas??
galaxy 02:16 PM 09-08-2016
I have no advice except my DCG 4 does this. Is that the baby's binky? Is this my milk? Is that a car? Are we going to the park? (2 seconds after I say lets get your shoes so we can go to the park) And sometimes she will repeat the question 3 or 4 times expecting a different answer. I do my best to be patient but it does drive you nuts
Pestle 02:40 PM 09-08-2016
It is truly annoying! My 3-year-old will say, "I want my lunch. Get me my lunch, Miss Pestle. I want my lunch. Give it to me. --Hey, is this my lunch?"

Nurse Jackie 02:43 PM 09-08-2016
I had a four year old like this. It drove me nuts. I have no advice for you but I do know what you're going through.
racemom 04:28 PM 09-08-2016
I have one that stands there tapping me on the arm, leg whatever all the time. Then when I acknowledge her, she asks me a question like that. Or if I wait to long to acknowledge the fact she is tapping one me, she goes ummm, umm, umm until she thinks of a question. No advice, just wanted to let you know your not the only one!!
Pestle 04:31 PM 09-08-2016
It's like they've gained communication skills and must use them but suddenly have absolutely nothing to communicate.
KiwiKids 04:39 PM 09-08-2016
I have a little one like this too. It seems to get worse as the week wears on. I try to just be patient but I will also say "I'm done answering questions now. Go play!" and that helps.
Baby Beluga 04:52 PM 09-08-2016
I have one like this. I simply say "you know the answer to that." If they ask again I respond "asked and answered."
laundrymom 04:52 PM 09-08-2016
Have you ever answered with a redirective statement/question?
"Are we reading books?"
"Let's ask our friends."
"Is this my milk?"
"Does everyone else have theirs?"
"Is it time to nap?"
"I put your cot over there"
nannyde 06:37 PM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
Over the last several weeks dcb 3.5 has been constantly asking questions that he clearly knows the answer to. It is getting to the point that myself and the other children are so annoyed we just ignore him. But he is persisistent. He will not stop asking. He will ask, is this a train? Is this a marker? Is this a chair? I will set his lunch in front of him and he will immediately ask if that is his lunch.
I don't know what to do with him anymore. I have tried responding with a question like, well is it? Or you know what that is. Redirecting, ignoring, nothing is working. I know it sounds innocent but I'm being serious when I say he will ask a minimum of 30 random questions an hour. And he won't stop asking. Shoving the toy in my face or other children's. Until we react.
At the same time, he has also been fabricating stories about the most random things. Did you take your brothers toy? No, the dog took his toy. Please do not play with your food. I wasn't playing with my food, dcg is playing with her food.
I am not sure if the two are connected, is he really trying to determine the truth about things? Is there confusion between reality and made up stories?
I just do not know what to do with him anymore. We have talked about things that are real and things that are made up, played games to identify what objects are, their physical attributes etc.
The other kids don't want to play with him anymore and I don't really want to listen.
Any ideas??
He's doing terms of engagement. He's getting you to DO him.

Answer with what you expect him to do at the moment.

Is this a train... GO PLAY TOYS

Is this lunch?.... Eat now.

Is this a marker? Color now.

When he asks questions TELL HIM what you want him to do right now.

If he puts something in your face or gets intrusive with the kids tell him to stop it right now and GO PLAY.

He needs a leader... a boss... someone who expects him to do what the others are doing and leave the adult to do their job.

Right when he does something think... what do I want him to do right now and say it to him in one to three words. Then turn your back on him and go do what you do. Short... sweet... exact... no discipline or big deal...
Tags:fearful child, insecurity
Reply Up