Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing My Mind
Heart12 08:41 AM 09-09-2016
I have a new baby that started this week & let just say TGIF I understand that DCB will need time to adjust, but already I dont know how much more I can take I hate even saying that! Its week 1!! DCB doesnt sleep for more then 30min. at a time & it takes me longer than that to get them to sleep. DCM doesnt want to use the CIO method, & wants DCB on an eat, play, sleep schedule since there are reflux issues. Ive wondered if DCB is getting enough to eat (3oz every 2hrs) & if shes not sleeping bc shes still hungry? DCM got really defensive when I asked about that. DCP have no advice for me, just said that shes not used to NOT being the center of attention & that DCD has a hard time at home too. Also, she literally cries ALL DAY unless Im holding her, which is physically impossible to do. I even had to ask DCP to pick her up on day 1 bc she was crying hysterically & would not calm down. I felt like a failure. They were super apologetic which made me feel worst. BUT There are other kids here & I feel like I have been slacking on them big time this week The last thing I want to do is term this family (especially after a week!!!) I really like the parents, but Im soooo stressed out already. Please tell me you have some advice for me. Im tired & desperate
KiwiKids 08:53 AM 09-09-2016
One of my own babies had severe reflux. Nursed every two hours around the clock for 5-10 minutes. When he did have a bottle he would take 2-3oz and then stop eating like he did with nursing. If their baby is feeding at night too then the 24hr intake might be ok? I guess it depends on how old and what size the baby is.

I have had children that are held all the time at home including naps and it is an uphill battle if parents aren't willing to accept some crying. I would never allow hysterical crying for a long period, but some "I don't like this" tears aren't going to scar a baby for life. I have hit a point I do not accept those babies into care though. If a baby is co-sleeping at home or held constantly etc I don't want to deal with breaking the habit at daycare. I know it can be done and I've done it many times, but I don't want to do it anymore. I'd rather have an open spot and wait for a good fit.
laundrymom 09:06 AM 09-09-2016
I can only tell you how I would handle it.
I do not put babies on a schedule until they are old enough to eat w big kids. Infants are fed on demand.
Which means.
If the cry
I::
1. Change them
2. Burp them
3. Feed them
4. Burp them
5 Change them
Lay them down and let them settle.
Rinse and repeat.
I do not allow a parent to force me to deviate from best practice. I feed on demand.
If dad has trouble too, then you change the common denominator until everyone is happy.
I feed when they seem hungry.
I don't care if the have reflux, limited milk supply or if parent just wants to skimp on milk.

Scratching head.....
I don't generally have the same reflux/texture/behavior problems that the parents do.
🤔

I would require a weeks worth of milk. In two oz bags. Frozen.
And feed on demand.
KiwiKids 09:36 AM 09-09-2016
Is the baby content when the 3oz are up? I fed/nursed my reflux baby on demand and he naturally seemed to gear to the 2hrs. But he would be full and happy at the end of a feeding. Not forced to stop nursing or still trying to down milk from an empty bottle.
laundrymom 09:39 AM 09-09-2016
This is a perfect example of on demand!!!!!😍😍😍😍😍😍
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:
Is the baby content when the 3oz are up? I fed/nursed my reflux baby on demand and he naturally seemed to gear to the 2hrs. But he would be full and happy at the end of a feeding. Not forced to stop nursing or still trying to down milk from an empty bottle.

KiwiKids 09:55 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
This is a perfect example of on demand!!!!!😍😍😍😍😍😍

Awww thank you. I can't imagine not feeding a hungry baby. The most I do is try to have my nursing daycare babies hungry and ready for mommy to nurse after work. I will bounce and walk and distract as much as I can. I hated pumping and try to save my moms from at least one pumping session a day.
Controlled Chaos 12:03 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:
Awww thank you. I can't imagine not feeding a hungry baby. The most I do is try to have my nursing daycare babies hungry and ready for mommy to nurse after work. I will bounce and walk and distract as much as I can. I hated pumping and try to save my moms from at least one pumping session a day.
Yep - that is also the only time I "keep" a baby hungry. If mom is on the way with bursting boobs Because pumping is the WORST! For reals though... Its been 3 years and I still get grumpy thinking about doing it lol
Reply Up