Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd?
BumbleBee 07:22 PM 03-22-2018
Bomb threat found in bathroom at school.

Superintendent had bomb sniffing dogs and police check school.

Nothing found, dogs didn't hit on anything.

School is open tomorrow.

All bags to be checked before entrance to school building tomorrow. Police presence at school tomorrow.

My policy states if a school age child doesn't attend school, they cannot attend daycare that day.

Parents don't want their kids at school tomorrow.

Do I allow school agers to attend daycare if they don't attend school tomorrow?
Pandaluver21 07:46 PM 03-22-2018
I would. Just make it clear that it's a special occasion/one time thing.
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 03-23-2018
I would too. It sounds like when you made that policy, illness was most likely at the root of it? This, to me, would be a special circumstance.
Play Care 03:03 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:

School is open tomorrow.

All bags to be checked before entrance to school building tomorrow. Police presence at school tomorrow.

My policy states if a school age child doesn't attend school, they cannot attend daycare that day.

Honestly? I would not. My policy is that school needs to be CLOSED in order for me to even consider having SA present, period.
School is open and the parents are choosing to not send the kids in. They need to own that choice. Not my issue.
Not only would this be a huge, unexpected/unplanned for disruption, I can only imagine the talk from the SA kids in front off the littles
DaveA 03:42 AM 03-23-2018
I wouldn't. The school isn't closed- DCPs are choosing for them not to attend. I can understand the reason why they are making that choice. But if that's the case they need to keep the school ager themselves.

Frankly if you let them do be prepared for a bunch of "special" situations in the future.
amberrose3dg 04:10 AM 03-23-2018

School is open tomorrow.

I also agree with them not attending. I know its a tough situation but honestly they will expect you to keep them for other reasons also. I have had parents try and leave a sick or injured kid with me all day when they could not attend school. The parents need to be responsible for their choices.
BumbleBee 04:50 AM 03-23-2018
I said no to school age attendance during school hours when the school is open.

I'm not being named on fb but there's some chatter on there about 'that daycare who doesn't care about kids' safety.' Only 3 daycare's in town and the other 2 are allowing school agers to attend during school hours.

I don't regret my decision and I didn't make it lightly. I fully own my decision and will handle any repercussions with professionalism and grace.

Wish me luck and thank you to all who responded to my late night post for help.

Happy friday.
amberrose3dg 05:14 AM 03-23-2018

I'm not being named on fb but there's some chatter on there about 'that daycare who doesn't care about kids' safety.' Only 3 daycare's in town and the other 2 are allowing school agers to attend during school hours.

I don't regret my decision and I didn't make it lightly. I fully own my decision and will handle any repercussions with professionalism and grace.

Happy friday.
Sorry that parents are trying to TURN this on you.
If I was worried about my child's safety I would keep them home with me. The one biggest headache with this business is parents turning issues into the daycare's responsibility. We had 20 inches of snow which caused lots of issues. Commuting, schools closed , accidents etc.. I had a few parents that STILL wanted to risk their child's safety and bring them when they didn't have to work( state asked people to stay off the roads also). I didn't want to actually close but did. They complained and guess what! The day after when roads are still iffy they are LATE picking up because you guessed it a bad wreck. No apologies no nothing. The wrecked happened hours before pickup but they did not look to see how traffic was(other alternate routes)and kept me over. My point is you do what is best for you and hold your head high. They make you responsible for all parenting tasks if they could(at least that is how I feel about it) I bet parents would not last one second doing our jobs.
Play Care 05:18 AM 03-23-2018

Happy friday.

Good for you. I strongly suggest staying off social media. Do not try to defend your actions or even mention it. This will blow over.
One of the main reasons for deleting my Facebook account is that I've noticed over the last several years the trend toward the negative. I found myself getting anxious and depressed over the ugliness. Now, instead of spending my free time "just" checking social media, I spend it present in my life.
BumbleBee 05:31 AM 03-23-2018
I haven't responded to any of it. And in whatever parent's defense the comment wasn't by one of them. I was reading through comments on a post, by a local friend about the bomb threat and parents discussing whether to keep the students home, and saw the comment about 'the daycare who doesn't care about kids safety.' And it blew up from there.

I'm keeping an eye on it but don't have any intentions of responding.
racemom 05:56 AM 03-23-2018
So let me see if I got this right:

School receives bomb threat.

School has precautions in place, and believes they can keep kids safe.

Parents don't trust school will keep them safe, so don't want them to attend.

Parents aren't worried enough to take day off work.

And you are the mean daycare who doesn't care about kids safety?

Oh I forgot, we are responsible for every issue that comes up and might disrupt dcp's lives, so yes you are wrong for not taking the kids today. (Sarcasm font)
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by racemom:

Oh I forgot, we are responsible for every issue that comes up and might disrupt dcp's lives, so yes you are wrong for not taking the kids today. (Sarcasm font)
This exactly!
KiwiKids 06:45 AM 03-23-2018

Amen!

Our local school system has had over 40 threats since the Florida shooting. I hate that we have to even think about it, but my kids have attended school every day. I have to trust the schools and the police department. It is the threat no one finds out about ahead of
time that worries me.
amberrose3dg 06:51 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:
Amen!

Our local school system has had over 40 threats since the Florida shooting. I hate that we have to even think about it, but my kids have attended school every day. I have to trust the schools and the police department. It is the threat no one finds out about ahead of
time that worries me.
And we all know Florida should of never happened when law enforcement knew.
KiwiKids 07:10 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Florida law enforcement and FBI dropped the ball in so many ways. It is terrible. I should have put a disclaimer. I am the wife of a detective in our local department. One of the sergeants who heads up school safety is the father of my nieces. I know our department locally is all over these threats and investigate every single one. My worries are the ones they won’t know about, but in reference to the situation of the OP... I would not let school age kids attend when the threat to the school is being handled.

I can’t speak for departments nationwide but from what I read in this thread, this particular threat has been addressed.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:

I do agree that the ball was dropped on several things but I don't think it was all that black and white.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
amberrose3dg 09:00 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do agree that the ball was dropped on several things but I don't think it was all that black and white.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Yes that is true. Also disturbing to know the shooter's family tried to get him committed in 2016. I think it is one of those tragedy's that all the signs were there and all of them were missed.
BumbleBee 02:53 PM 03-23-2018

Yup! TGIF!!! And with 70% of students staying home today, today doesn't count as a school day. So extra day added to the end of the year because they've used up all of the allotted school closure days built into the district calendar.
Tags:closed days, policy - days closed
Reply Up