Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Child Goes to School
DaycareMom 12:01 PM 11-06-2013
I have been caring for DCG (4yo) since she was 12 weeks. She will be going to Kindergarten next year. From what DCM and I have talked about, she will still be coming to me before and/or after school.

Would I charge the same since she will still be here for MOST of the day as Kindergarten is only 2.5 hours? or should I lower my rate? Right now I am charging a daily rate.

Also when she starts full day school and I only have her a few hours (possibly before) after school?

What do you guys do when this situation arises? Any advice/help is appreciated. Thank you!
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 11-06-2013
For me personally, any time a child is present for lunch and/or rest time they are charged the whole daily rate.

I also think that unless you have someone who can readily fill the 2.5 hours DCG is gone at school, why do YOU have to suffer the financial loss kwim?

I understand you wanting to be flexible and/or understanding since you've had this family for so long but business is business and you still have to pay your bills.
MamaBearCanada 12:14 PM 11-06-2013
If they are taking up a full time spot, whether or not they are actually there, I charge fulltime. I do offer 1/2 days. They must be 4 hours or less. AM slots must end on or before 12pm. PM slots must start after 12 and be done by 4.30pm at latest.

I don't offer SA so I don't know what's typical for Before & After School Care.
NeedaVaca 12:15 PM 11-06-2013
I have a DCG that started going to a preschool a few days a week and I didn't change my rate.
Leigh 12:23 PM 11-06-2013
I would still charge the full rate if the child is still taking up a full slot. I have a preschooler who is gone for 3.5-4 hours per day, and they still pay full rate.
Lucy 12:27 PM 11-06-2013
I have the same situation. Watched her from practically birth, and she just started PM Kinder this Sept. Had her brother from birth too, and he's just started 5th grade!! I love the long-term, grow-up-in-my-house families!!!

Yes, I reduce. Mine are gone 5 min short of 3 hours, and I reduce by 20% of my full rate. Which means you'd multiply current rate times point 8. In other words, if you charge $25 per full day, you'd charge $20 for K's. If you charge $125 per full week, you'd charge $100 for K's. If you charge $525 per full month, you'd charge $420 for K's.

Make sure you charge your FULL day amount whenever they have a no-school day.

I get what some of you are saying about not losing the money, but to me it's preferable to keep them from birth to 10, 11, or 12 yrs, so I do this. Maybe you could NOT reduce for Kinder, but start reducing when they hit 1st grade ??
Reply Up