Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The People in My Basement Give Me Beer
Max 09:13 PM 10-24-2016
Yep, this is what my 4 year old told one of his preschool teachers today.

The 'people in my basement' is my sister and her husband who are living with us for a few months. He loves to hang out with them because they give him candy and let him watch TV and make blanket forts.

Anyways, after talking with him a bit, I figured out that he thought beer and pop were the same thing. We used to tell him both are only for adults

A great example of how what kids say isn't always 100% spot on Definitely wasn't a normal thing for him to say and it caught me off guard, but I knew there was no way he ever had beer!!

Thinking I should use this example when I start interviewing parents.
catinthebox 01:32 AM 10-25-2016
i remember my old boss telling us a story how her grandson told his teacher and the whole class that his mom sold drugs. Next thing you know that they got the school, cops... showing up asking if she sold drugs where she basically explain to them that she work at a pharmacy
Josiegirl 03:00 AM 10-25-2016
Thanks for the laughs!! Love stories like this. It also proves that sometimes we need to probe the whole story out before we rush into assuming anything.
DaveA 05:31 AM 10-25-2016

When DS was in 1st grade he tried to explain my shop to his teacher. His description was something like "He plays with fire and hits things with hammers." Of course he had told me that the speech teacher got a new name because over the summer she "bought a husband at the store", so descriptions were not his strong suit.
Ariana 05:54 AM 10-25-2016

My kids basically think anything my husband and I drink are wine and/or beer!
KiwiKids 08:13 AM 10-25-2016
Yes! Our pediatrician jokingly asked my 5yr old if she drank beer and she said "only sometimes" the only beer she knows is root beer that she gets as a treat once in a blue moon.
Pestle 09:05 AM 10-25-2016
We have explained to our daughter that only adults are allowed to drink alcohol. We've also explained that caffeine is bad for kids. She now thinks that all sodas and caffeinated beverages are alcoholic, too, so when I let her have some weak tea, she suspiciously asks if it has alcohol in it.
e.j. 12:12 PM 10-25-2016
Several years ago, I had a group of very picky eaters so when the kids would serve me food from the play kitchen, I would pretend I was the picky eater. "Does that tea have sugar in it? No? Oh, I only like tea with sugar in it. Would you please put some sugar in it?"....."Thank you! Hmmm...this tea tastes sweet. I guess I don't like tea with sugar in it after all. Would you please bring me back some tea with no sugar in it and this time, sprinkle in a little pepper?"... "Pepper! Who would put pepper in tea? Please bring it back and get me tea with no pepper and a little salt!".... "Oh no! This tea is cold. Would you please bring it back and warm it up for me?"..."Ouch! This tea is too hot! Would you please..." The kids loved this game so much we played it every day - until a 4 year old dcg went home one day and told her parents that she had fun playing "drinking games" at day care. We phased that game out real fast!
Ariana 06:47 PM 10-25-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Several years ago, I had a group of very picky eaters so when the kids would serve me food from the play kitchen, I would pretend I was the picky eater. "Does that tea have sugar in it? No? Oh, I only like tea with sugar in it. Would you please put some sugar in it?"....."Thank you! Hmmm...this tea tastes sweet. I guess I don't like tea with sugar in it after all. Would you please bring me back some tea with no sugar in it and this time, sprinkle in a little pepper?"... "Pepper! Who would put pepper in tea? Please bring it back and get me tea with no pepper and a little salt!".... "Oh no! This tea is cold. Would you please bring it back and warm it up for me?"..."Ouch! This tea is too hot! Would you please..." The kids loved this game so much we played it every day - until a 4 year old dcg went home one day and told her parents that she had fun playing "drinking games" at day care. We phased that game out real fast!
Oh my word
racemom 07:34 PM 10-25-2016
I almost came running to your house, and then I realized I don't know you or where you live. But I wanted to see the people in your basement. Glad I read your post to realize you don't have people in your basement giving away free beer!! Lol
LadyMacbeth 05:52 PM 10-26-2016
My daughter told my parents that my husband, her step dad, lets her drink beer when she was four years old. She wouldn't stop bugging him about letting her have a sip, so I told him "go ahead" and naturally she was disgusted by it. My parents told me they were a bit shocked when they heard it but figured something like that had went down. Glad we were all able to laugh about it afterward!
sharlan 06:32 PM 10-26-2016
I had a dcg that came up with the most bizarre stories. Her mom and I agreed not to call CPS on each other.
Meeko 08:35 PM 10-26-2016
When I was in school, we used to have a "news" assignment on Mondays. We had to tell the teacher what we did over the weekend and she would have us write it down to the best of our ability.

At parent teacher conference, the teacher had them on display. I had one that simply said
"My dad slept on the couch last night"

I had left out the part about a family guest sleeping in my room, so I slept with my Mom and my Dad took the couch......luckily my parents thought is was hilarious!
Josiegirl 02:55 AM 10-27-2016
One year for a friends' activity we read a Berenstein Bears book, and in it they played Spin The Bottle. So we modified the game to shake hands with each other. Course the dcks left out that important piece of info. Needless to say dcps had a question or 2.
Pepperth 03:02 AM 10-27-2016
My son's assignment at preschool was to tell his teachers what his parents should get for Christmas. He said I'd like an "adult movie." (as opposed to a children's movie.) His teacher warned me before I saw it, but apparently it made their whole day.
Reply Up