Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Can't Believe This!!
Pammie 05:56 AM 05-26-2010
Last evening in the middle of dinner, there was a knock at my door. It was a young man - who grew up down the street from me. I knew him just as a neighborhood kid, the oldest of 3 brothers, whose family moved out of the neighborhood about 6 years ago.

Well, now he has an 11mo daughter and needs to change care providers. He tells me that he remembered that I used to do daycare - wanted to know if I still did. He tells me that he remembered all of the kids coming/going from my house and all of the "happy noise" that he would hear coming from my house/yard. Apparently, he tells me that he even noticed that the only time that he heard kids crying is when their parents were taking them home! He tells me that he and his brothers used to ask their mom to "get a job" so that they could come and play at my house too<lol>.

I was flabbergasted - totally speechless -which doesn't happen often for me! He wanted to know if I still did daycare and if I had a spot open and if I would be "willing to interview me and my wife" to see about the "possibility of accepting his daughter into my care". Wowsie!

They'll be back for an official interview tonite - which works well for me because I just terminated a family last weekend (my drunk at pickup time post family) and have a spot I need to fill:-))

I just can't believe a potential client came knocking at my door, because of his memories of growing up in my neighborhood. I suppose stranger things have happened - they just don't usually happen to me
Vesta 06:04 AM 05-26-2010
I'm all tearing up over hear.
That just makes it all worth while.
Crystal 06:16 AM 05-26-2010
aawwwww....that's AWESOME! Gotta love it!

Good luck, I hope they sign and that they are a DREAM family!
Childminder 06:40 AM 05-26-2010
Bless your heart! That's wonderful.
misol 06:51 AM 05-26-2010
Awww, that is so touching!
professionalmom 07:07 AM 05-26-2010
That is a perfect example of the difference we make in the lives of others. We may not get the pat on the back every day. But you definitely made a great impression on this child, even though he wasn't a DCK. Sometimes it takes years to reap the benefits of what we sow. One of the reasons I wanted to do this is to make a difference in the lives of children during the formative years. These years are crucial. Sadly, we rarely get to see the end result (them as adults). Congrats to you and the AWESOME job you have done and continue to do!!!
boysx5 07:14 AM 05-26-2010
I love hearing stories like that
originalkat 07:21 AM 05-26-2010
That is CRAZY! I love it! THat sounds like a answered prayer in Gods own wonderful and unique way!
momofboys 08:02 AM 05-26-2010
I bet that will make your week!!!! Awesome to hear such positive feedback. I hope the interview goes well!
alyssyn 08:43 AM 05-26-2010
You made an impact on someone's life without even knowing it! This story is sooo sweet! I wish you the best of luck!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:12 AM 05-26-2010
This is wonderful!!! What an impact you have made on those around you,.. without even realizing it!!!
emosks 10:13 AM 05-26-2010
Fabulous!!
Pammie 05:04 AM 05-31-2010
Just an update-

Parents and their daughter came for in interview on Wednesday evening and signed on Saturday! They start daycare with me on Tuesday morning!

The little girl stole my heart, allowing me to hold her and play with her, without showing any signs of stranger anxiety...impressive for an 11mo. And her parents, both only 22, have more together than some parents twice their age that have been here to interview. They truly impressed me with how seriously they take their jobs as parents - and how committed they seemed to fully understanding my rules and policies so that we would have little or no issues down the line.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm feeling quite positive
MarinaVanessa 08:59 AM 05-31-2010
This sounds awsome. These folks, are the families and moments that make all of the crazy days, dirty diapers, potty accidents, and tantrums worthwhile!

Sounds to me like you have just received a blessing! Great for you, how exciting.
booroo 11:37 AM 05-31-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Just an update-

Parents and their daughter came for in interview on Wednesday evening and signed on Saturday! They start daycare with me on Tuesday morning!

The little girl stole my heart, allowing me to hold her and play with her, without showing any signs of stranger anxiety...impressive for an 11mo. And her parents, both only 22, have more together than some parents twice their age that have been here to interview. They truly impressed me with how seriously they take their jobs as parents - and how committed they seemed to fully understanding my rules and policies so that we would have little or no issues down the line.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm feeling quite positive

That is wonderful!! What a wonderful story!! I love it when the past becomes part of our future!!
melissa ann 03:12 PM 05-31-2010
Wow! How exciting for you! Can you find me some parents like that and send them to PA? Daycare Gramps is in his 50's and shouldn't have kids, much less taking care of grandkids.
Anyway, I hope things continue to go well for you.
Tags:clients
Reply Up