Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much is Everyone Spending Per Week Per Kid For Food?
sahm2three 05:11 PM 07-20-2010
I think I am doing well, but am not getting reimbursed hardly anything! I am spending about $100 per week for essentially 8 dc kids. My own three eat as well, but we spend about $400 on per month for just our family. That is Two meals a day and two snacks. Does that sound high or low? I am only getting around $30 or so per week from the food program. Not really worth all the work, but for now I am going to keep up with it. I think I live in a lower cost of living area. What are you all spending?
TGT09 05:35 PM 07-20-2010
I spend in between $80-100 for 7 dckids for 2 snacks and 1 meal for 5....if that makes sense to anyone else. :-)
JenNJ 05:43 PM 07-20-2010
I spend about $40 a week for 19 lunches and 40 snacks per week. I am a major coupon queen though.
booroo 06:01 PM 07-20-2010
I spend 500 a month for our family(6) and 3 daycare kids some times 6 daycare kids.... I do 2 meals and 2 snacks... I don't do seperate, I just feed everyone the same.
I do coupons and sales!
safechner 07:46 PM 07-20-2010
I spend $20 a month for two daycare kids 2 snacks and one meal. I spend $400-$500 a month for the summer only for four of family. Once the girls are in school and I spend $300 to $400 a month.
tmcp2001 08:41 PM 07-20-2010
I spend roughly $600/month. That feeds my family (6 people) and 6 dck's (two meals and one snack/day). I'm also a coupon junkie! Bought $226 worth of food tonight for $165.
melskids 03:06 AM 07-21-2010
wow ladies.....share some secrets!!!!

i'm spending $300-350 (or more... easily) a week for our family of 4, and 8 DC kids (2 meals and a snack). of course this includes everything... cleaning and paper supplies, toiletries, dog food, etc.

but i'd love some tips on how to lower my grocery bill!!!!!!

i'm also on the food program, but only tier 2, and getting around $200 a month reimbursement.
nannyde 03:37 AM 07-21-2010
I do about $20 per week per kid. That's $160 a week for my group now. Before I switched to organic it was about 5 dollars per week per kid. The hours of labor now is about 26-27 hours a week of dedicated time food access, prep, and storage time. Before we switched to organic it was about 20-21 hours a week.

If you are serving regular food from the grocery store and are willing to do everything from scratch you can get the cost of the food down really low where I live. It means buying in bulk on super sale and cooking/storing. I had our lunch meal down to about .50 cents per kid. Breakfast was about .35 cents and snack was about .15 cents. It's a lot of work to get it down that far so you really have to consider the labor part of it when you are trying to cut the costs of the actual food. You have to have the money up front to be able to buy in bulk the really cheap deals and be willing to do the work to put the deals up.
momma2girls 05:37 AM 07-21-2010
I buy alot of items from Sam's club in bulk for my children, and daycare children.
momofsix 06:19 AM 07-21-2010
I go to couponmom.com This is a sight that will match local store sales with available coupons, at no cost to you, you do need to register though. I also shop at Aldi's alot and use store brands.
At thiis time in my life, i am willing to pay a little more for food rather than putting in 20+ hours that I don't have into food prep. I don't know exactly what I spend for daycare, but I spend about $100/week for both my family and daycare meals.
If it's not on sale, I will not buy it, ever. When it's on sale, I buy as much as I can store. I do have two fridges plus an extra freezer.
I find that having a menu really helps--unless the menu is for steak dinners
JenNJ 06:31 AM 07-21-2010
I only spend maybe 5-6 hours per week prepping food, shopping, etc. WHich is maybe an extra hour on what I would normally have to spend for just my family. I use Dealseekingmom.com and MoneySavingMom.com for deals and coupon match-ups.
SunflowerMama 06:45 AM 07-21-2010
I spend about $125-$150 a week for my family and the dcks (3) and my 2 that eat the exact same meals (2 meals and 2 snacks) and then get reimbursed about $130/month from the food program.
momma2girls 09:24 AM 07-21-2010
I know if I make something in the crockpot for supper, grilled out food, spaghetti, lasagna, etc.. etc.... there are always leftovers from these items, so whatever is left over I serve it to the daycare that week one day, if not two days that week. THis really saves on the bills as well.
Lilbutterflie 10:02 AM 07-21-2010
I use grocerygame.com and save about 40-50% on my grocery bill each week. It tells you what the best sales are at your grocery store, and which week's newspaper to look in to find coupons to use for the sale items. My grocery bill is $100-$120 each week (including toiletries and cleaning supplies) for my family of 4 and 3 dck's (occasionally 8 kids total when my nieces and nephew are over for the day). This past week, I got over $250 in groceries at Kroger for $120.
Unregistered 10:21 AM 07-21-2010
I spend 500 to 600 a month for my family of 5 and 2 daycare kids my kids eat the same as daycare kids for breakfest, lunch , and snack if I just counted daycare food it would probably be around 150 a month
Pammie 11:50 AM 07-21-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I know if I make something in the crockpot for supper, grilled out food, spaghetti, lasagna, etc.. etc.... there are always leftovers from these items, so whatever is left over I serve it to the daycare that week one day, if not two days that week. THis really saves on the bills as well.
I LOVE my crockpot!!
I do this too and it not only save me $ but so much time in preparing lunches!!
It's so easy to drop in a couple extra veges and pieces of meat into the crockpot - or add a couple of extra pieces of chicken to the grill.

We have crockpot meals for dinner a couple of times each week - and the next day that's the daycare lunch! Except for Fridays which is always soup and sandwich day around here:-)
boysx5 11:51 AM 07-21-2010
I spend at least a 1000.00 a month on groceries I have five boys and my husband and I plus I now have 7 daycare kids and everyone is eating me out of house and home I will see how much the food program is when I get my first check with this many kids not sure if the program is worth it or not.
Unregistered 12:17 PM 07-21-2010
I spend 25.00 - 35.00 shopping exclusively at the $1.00 store for 10 kids

Sample menu:

Breakfast: eggs/ toast $2.00
milk: 1.00 (half gallon last 2 days)
Snack: animal crackers or apple slicees $1.00
Lunch: beanie weenies, salad, roll $3.00

I also have parents provide afternoon snack by each taking turns bringing in
peanut butter crackers, carrot sticks, cheese string etc.

Whatever the kids don't eat I recycle and freeze. For example today there were a lot of beanie weenies left on plates so I scooped them back up into a bowl, added more beans and placed in ziploc with squirt of bbq sauce for next month.

I also recycle the eggs and serve for lunch over potatoes or mix with rice and ketchup. Yum.

There was some salad left over and I chop it up finely and add to beef stew (.99 store soup aisle, just add beef broth cube). Delish.

If my kids don't finish their milk I recycle and add chocolate syrup to it. They love it. You can also add strawberry syrup.

Sometimes I buy a can of day old biscuits, smash down flat and add spaghetti sauce on top (.99 store) and eggs. There's so much you can do with so little.

I often buy day old donuts or break SLIGHTLY molded, cut off mold and make pudding or sandwiches.

By doing this I'm clearing about 900.00 week. If you want more of my ideas I'll send you a link to my ebook on cheap meals.
HeatherB 07:56 PM 07-21-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Whatever the kids don't eat I recycle and freeze. For example today there were a lot of beanie weenies left on plates so I scooped them back up into a bowl, added more beans and placed in ziploc with squirt of bbq sauce for next month.

If my kids don't finish their milk I recycle and add chocolate syrup to it. They love it. You can also add strawberry syrup.

I cannot believe that you RECYCLE milk that is not drank from others. YUCK
I also cannot believe that you strap their plates off and recycle the scraps per say... I am sorry by my child would not be coming to your daycare.

tmcp2001 08:46 PM 07-21-2010
HeatherB - you said it!! ICK!!! That is a serious germ-fest and I am horrified. It's hard enough to keep all these kids healthy without going and mixing all their half-eaten food together! GROSS!!!

I'm going to guess that "unregistered" is NOT on the food program? Those meals certainly wouldn't meet their nutritional guidelines...
Francine 02:39 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by tmcp2001:
HeatherB - you said it!! ICK!!! That is a serious germ-fest and I am horrified. It's hard enough to keep all these kids healthy without going and mixing all their half-eaten food together! GROSS!!!

I'm going to guess that "unregistered" is NOT on the food program? Those meals certainly wouldn't meet their nutritional guidelines...
I had to read that twice, thinking there is no way she is saying what I think she is saying. That is NASTY! I can't believe anybody would even consider scrapping plates from all of the kids back together and then refeeding, OMG the thought makes me sick.
melskids 03:23 AM 07-22-2010
that is just gross.....

i'd rather continue to spend the $300 a week
nannyde 03:34 AM 07-22-2010

Sample menu:

I also recycle the eggs and serve for lunch over potatoes or mix with rice and ketchup. Yum.

There was some salad left over and I chop it up finely and add to beef stew (.99 store soup aisle, just add beef broth cube). Delish.

Sometimes I buy a can of day old biscuits, smash down flat and add spaghetti sauce on top (.99 store) and eggs. There's so much you can do with so little.

I often buy day old donuts or break SLIGHTLY molded, cut off mold and make pudding or sandwiches.

By doing this I'm clearing about 900.00 week. If you want more of my ideas I'll send you a link to my ebook on cheap meals.
:eek Oh my goodness. I guess the only saving grace is that you freeze the leftovers so there's a chance that whatever germs are in each child's partially eaten food will be killed by deep freezing.

You can't be on the food program. A half gallon of milk wouldn't last one day with ten kids if you were just giving it at breakfast and llunch. Children between one and three need four ounces per meal and the three to fives need six ounces. There is only 64 ounces in a half gallon so this would mean you would be using only 32 ounces per day for 10 kids. That would average a total between all meals of 3.2 ounces per kid. That's not enough to do just one meal for the under three crowd.

Do the parents realize their kids are eating food from the freezer that was leftover from other kids plates? Do they realize you are cutting off the VISIBLE mold and serving the rest of the donuts?

YIKES
boysx5 04:03 AM 07-22-2010
Yes I agree that sometimes food goes to waste but I would never do that with my own children let alone daycare children yuck. I think buying fruit and snacks is the most expensive for me next month I start to go back to costco to see if I can save more money that way
JenNJ 05:02 AM 07-22-2010
I hoping that is a troll, lol.
JenNJ 05:07 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I LOVE my crockpot!!
I do this too and it not only save me $ but so much time in preparing lunches!!
It's so easy to drop in a couple extra veges and pieces of meat into the crockpot - or add a couple of extra pieces of chicken to the grill.

We have crockpot meals for dinner a couple of times each week - and the next day that's the daycare lunch! Except for Fridays which is always soup and sandwich day around here:-)
Fridays are homemade pizza day here.

Another way I save $$ on produce is my veggie garden. I spend about $20 in the spring on seeds and we have fresh produce all summer and fall. Some things like raspberries, tomatoes, and onions are a one time investment and they come back each year bigger than ever!

For example, this week I have a lot of cucumbers and tomatoes coming in, so that has been our veggie side with lunch. Cucumbers and tomatoes with ranch dip - yum!

I *think* the seeds cost me $.85 a packet and I only planted about half the seeds this season, so I have more than enough left over to plant again next spring. Plus, the planting and caring for the veggie garden works wonderfully into my lesson plans!
Vesta 05:53 AM 07-22-2010

Sample menu:

I can't tell if the winky emoticon means this poster is just messing with us or not.
There's no way on earth anyone would actually be doing that.
That's just gross.
If it's a joke, HAHAHAHA.
If not, ewwwwwww.
sahm2three 06:02 AM 07-22-2010
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.....ICK!
Lilbutterflie 06:03 AM 07-22-2010
It HAS GOT to be a troll. No one would do that. The mold thing at the end sealed my belief that someone is messing with us.
momma2girls 06:10 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
It HAS GOT to be a troll. No one would do that. The mold thing at the end sealed my belief that someone is messing with us.
I agree!! EWWWWWW!!!!
misol 06:11 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by Vesta:
I can't tell if the winky emoticon means this poster is just messing with us or not.
There's no way on earth anyone would actually be doing that.
That's just gross.
If it's a joke, HAHAHAHA.
If not, ewwwwwww.
I am reeeeaaalllyyy praying that it's a joke. Or a troll. Or anything!!!
Daycare Mommy 07:14 AM 07-22-2010
Someone is just messing with us. lol
Unregistered 08:02 AM 07-22-2010
I'm sorry to have offended so many. I guess b/c I don't believe in waste, and America is full of waste in astronomical proportions, I'm the odd man out.

I have tried to register but am having problems. Hopefully I can get my computer to stop cutting me off. I salvaged it from a dumpster. Anyway, my parents are aware of my thrify ways and a few have even purchased my ebook.

Tammy
kdparadise 10:31 AM 07-22-2010
Oh man and I was a bit nauseated to begin with! A part of me believes this exists for sure whether this is a troll or not. Some people are plain ignorant and or a bit evil and don't really care. This is coming from a very positive lady that more often believes in the good in people, but I believe this.
DBug 10:53 AM 07-22-2010
I have known some women like our alleged troll in my lifetime ... needless to say, I DO NOT follow the same practices!

What I do is put the tiniest amount of everything we're having on each plate. Especially if I know a particular child won't eat something specific. For example, the other day we had chicken noodle soup. For one child, I only put 3 noodles in his bowl, because I knew he wouldn't eat it. But if he had, I still had the rest of the soup in the pot on the stove, so he could have had seconds. Same with milk -- I only put maybe an eighth of a cup in one little girl's cup because I know she won't drink it. And if she surprises me one day, there's always more!

I don't know if you're allowed to do that sort of thing on the food program, but it would be great if you could. As long as the right amount of food is available to the child if they want it, I don't see why it has to all be on their plate at once. If I had to do that, I'd be wasting even more than I am now (and even with my tiny portions, a lot still goes straight into the garbage).
DCMom 11:19 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by kdparadise:
Oh man and I was a bit nauseated to begin with! A part of me believes this exists for sure whether this is a troll or not. Some people are plain ignorant and or a bit evil and don't really care. This is coming from a very positive lady that more often believes in the good in people, but I believe this.
I don't even want to think about that...ick.

Anyway~I am a bargain shopper, coupon clipper, rebater and savings card subscriber. I would never give up my Sam's Club membership without a fight. I think I belong to every savings/coupon club know to man I have and 8' x 10' room in the basement that contains floor to ceiling shelving and a large upright freezer.

I probably spend on average about $300/wk for my family of 5; 14 daycare kids and one daycare assistant. That includes paper/cleaning/pet supplies.

But I shop a little differently. For example, when Hamburger/Chicken Helper is 10/$10 at the grocery store, it is not unusual for me to buy 30 boxes (with coupons of course!)net price $.66 a box. I go to the bakery outlet store and buy 1.5 lb loaves of bread, hot dog and hamburger buns 10/$5 and freeze them. We buy chicken and hamburger by the case to get the best price. For paper products and cleaning supplies the Walgreens and CVS shoppers cards are amazing. I'm not much of a cook, so 'from scratch' is a stretch but I love my crockpot and when I do cook I do double and triple batches.

All this is off the top of my head, but google 'frugal living' and there are bunches of websites and blogs with tips on how to save money on food and household products. One of my favorites is

http://thefrugalsuburbanhomemaker.blogspot.com/

Brenda is a master at the art of saving money~if nothing else it makes for interesting reading.
sahm2three 11:59 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I don't even want to think about that...ick.

Anyway~I am a bargain shopper, coupon clipper, rebater and savings card subscriber. I would never give up my Sam's Club membership without a fight. I think I belong to every savings/coupon club know to man I have and 8' x 10' room in the basement that contains floor to ceiling shelving and a large upright freezer.

I probably spend on average about $300/wk for my family of 5; 14 daycare kids and one daycare assistant. That includes paper/cleaning/pet supplies.

But I shop a little differently. For example, when Hamburger/Chicken Helper is 10/$10 at the grocery store, it is not unusual for me to buy 30 boxes (with coupons of course!)net price $.66 a box. I go to the bakery outlet store and buy 1.5 lb loaves of bread, hot dog and hamburger buns 10/$5 and freeze them. We buy chicken and hamburger by the case to get the best price. For paper products and cleaning supplies the Walgreens and CVS shoppers cards are amazing. I'm not much of a cook, so 'from scratch' is a stretch but I love my crockpot and when I do cook I do double and triple batches.

All this is off the top of my head, but google 'frugal living' and there are bunches of websites and blogs with tips on how to save money on food and household products. One of my favorites is

http://thefrugalsuburbanhomemaker.blogspot.com/

Brenda is a master at the art of saving money~if nothing else it makes for interesting reading.
I guess part of my problem is that I really don't buy much for processed foods. And I buy a whole beef of grass fed beef and free range chicken, so I do spend a bit more there. I almost never find coupons for the items I buy because most are just fresh fruits and veggies. I do buy some crackers and yogurts and etc. And I do clip coupons for those when I find them. I will definately check out the link! Thanks!
Crystal 12:21 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.....ICK!
lol! maybe you oughtta freeze that for next month's lunch! lol!
jen 01:33 PM 07-22-2010
Question for the whole foods group...

I've been wanting to find a local farmer to purchase meat from but I wasn't sure if it would be USDA certified if bought directly from the farmer?
swaddlebees 02:02 PM 07-22-2010
Has to be a troll, noone in their right mind would send their kid there!!!

Anyway, I do an all whole foods program for the great rate of $75 a week (i live in a very poor area, and my rate is average/high)

Right now I only have less than 1 year olds, so I am only feeding my 2 toddlers during the day...and I spend about 100 a week in groceries (family of 4)...I need to figure out ways to get my budget down as I have toddlers starting in August. I only do meat 3 days a week max, and we don't do junk at all and no artificial colors...so it eliminates alot of the cheaper options... If anyone has cheap ideas for non junk/processed food please share! Or email me at my username at gmail
swaddlebees 02:03 PM 07-22-2010
I don't think it is Jen (for the food program correct?)
nannyde 02:34 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
lol! maybe you oughtta freeze that for next month's lunch! lol!

what she said
melskids 02:50 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by jen:

I've been wanting to find a local farmer to purchase meat from but I wasn't sure if it would be USDA certified if bought directly from the farmer?
you know, i'm not a rule breaker or anything, but say you have a pot roast simmering all morning so its ready for lunch, and the FP lady shows up right as your serving it. is she really gonna look through your garbage for a meat wrapper? how do you prove if its homegrown or not?
jen 02:57 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
you know, i'm not a rule breaker or anything, but say you have a pot roast simmering all morning so its ready for lunch, and the FP lady shows up right as your serving it. is she really gonna look through your garbage for a meat wrapper? how do you prove if its homegrown or not?
Good point!
nannyde 02:57 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by jen:

I buy directly from the Farmer for chicken, eggs, lamb, and beef.

I'm SO excited because I found a forrest raised piggy farmer who we are going to meet a week from Saturday!!!!!!! Wooot

I also buy Buffalo directly from the rancher.

The chicken and eggs are just from the farm. In my State the farmer is allowed to slaughter chickens on site but the site has to be inspected. The other meats get processed at a USDA certified facility and have the stamp on them. The Buffalo are slaughtered on site at the ranch but they have a USDA inspector present during the kill and during the packaging. The meat has a USDA stamp on each package.
DBug 05:39 AM 07-23-2010
Well, I guess after seeing everyone's numbers I'm not quite as concerned about the waste in my house. I spend $100/month for daycare kids -- that's 4 or 5 kids, 5 days a week, with 2 meals and 3 snacks (fruit with every meal/snack + veggies & meat at lunch). That's in Canadian dollars, too, so it's not bad. I think the majority of my costs are in utilities -- water/sewer and electricity, and of course, curriculum. Food wastage is so much more obvious though ...
misol 07:01 AM 07-23-2010
I'm sorry to have offended so many. I guess b/c I don't believe in waste, and America is full of waste in astronomical proportions, I'm the odd man out.

I have tried to register but am having problems. Hopefully I can get my computer to stop cutting me off. I salvaged it from a dumpster. Anyway, my parents are aware of my thrify ways and a few have even purchased my ebook.

Tammy
Tammy, I don't think that anyone would argue that we all need to do more to reduce waste. However - receycling partially eaten food is NOT the most sanitary way to go about it. Serving partially eaten foods undoubtedbly puts the health of your kids and yourself at risk. I am guessing that since you serve it to the kids that you eat the moldy donuts and recycled food too. I don't even eat behind my OWN children. Honestly, sometimes I can barely stand to look at a plate after a kid finishes messing around in it! I cannot tell you how many times I've watched kids (and adults) put something in their mouth, chew it, then spit it back on their plate. I've seen people cough and sneeze at the table without covering their mouths. I've seen people put food that has fallen on the chair or floor back on their plate. The list goes on. I would not trust that feezing would kill any of the germs, viruses, and bacterias lurking in that contaminated food. Maybe when you reheat it would but since you are serving to kids, you are unlikely to heat it to the temperature required to kill bacteria. It's just gross all around and not a good practice.

I teach the kids here that there are some things that we do NOT share - this includes food and drink, eating utensils, hats, toothbrushes, etc. Daycares are already a breeding ground for germs.

As far as your parents being aware of your thrifty ways - I doubt that they are aware of just how "thrifty" you are. I have never met any parent that would knowingly allow this. Try telling them EXACTLY what you are doing and then see what their reaction is. I think a better suggestion for reducing food waste would be to serve much smaller portions and have more available if needed. If the extra doesn't get used then freeze THAT and serve it again at a later date. Any food that has already been on one person's plate should NOT be served to anyone else. Period.

This pracitice of recycling food is VERY extreme to me. I may regret asking this question but I am curious to know what else you do to save money and reduce waste?
jen 07:35 AM 07-23-2010
I'm still hoping Tammy is a troll...but if not...

Seriously, it is just WRONG to sacrifice the health and welfare of children so that you can clear $900/week.

Can you imagine a restaurant that scraped left overs in to a bag, froze and reserved it? Would you eat there? Would you let your children eat there?

Kids (and adults) need REAL food. Fresh fruits, veggies, meat and whole grains.

Please, if you are for real, rethink this. No amount of money is worth the health of children or yourself.
mac60 08:30 AM 07-23-2010
Tammy is a troll.....Tammy the troll, has a cute ring to it anyways.
melskids 10:17 AM 07-23-2010
i wonder how "tammy" would feel if someone at the factory was spitting in her can of $ store beenie weenies before shipping them out....
Janet 10:33 AM 07-23-2010
but I have to draw the line at recycling food the way that the OP is doing it! It's one thing for me to finish off the food from my daycare kids plates that they didn't eat (still gross, but I'm aware of the yuckiness factor and I'm alright with that...) but it's completely different to have other kids finish off another child's food. The germs that get passed around would be too much of a risk for me to take.

OP, if you are looking to be thrifty, then do it in a way that won't be a hazard to the children that you care for. It's not cool to have kids share food that way! If you're looking to be more environmentally conscious, then again, do it in a way that doesn't hold the potential for illness that kids eating each others food does. Here's a thought. To save money on food, use coupons, check out your grocery store ads for sales, and consider growing your own vegetables. That's just a few ideas. If you want to be more environmentally conscious, then do things like use your vehicle less and walk more, plant some trees, turn off the lights in rooms when no one is in them, and use your AC less in the summer time. Again, that's just a few ideas.
Tags:food costs
Reply Up