Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Asking About Educational Toys
daycare 11:55 AM 11-04-2011
I have a few parents that are asking me what would be some great educational toys for them to buy their children for xmas....

For me these would be:
legos
Lincoln logs
beads with strings
blocks
puzzles

but the parents were not happy with those answers..

Maybe you guys can give some ideas or websites that I can refer them to??

Thanks all
SilverSabre25 12:07 PM 11-04-2011
Anything without batteries?

Anything that allows the CHILD to do the playing, and not the toy?

On a less snarky note...your list is great. I have a feeling that the parents are looking for the types of toys that "teach" the child, a la Leap Pads and caterpillars that speak the alphabet, and DVD's that teach them Spanish and ******* and Swahili.
Meyou 12:08 PM 11-04-2011
Felt boards? Great for imagination but a nice quiet toy.
Heidi 12:09 PM 11-04-2011
-animal "memory"
-Steif animals, knights & horses, etc.
-a good quality marble run for older kids
-K'nex
-

My sister made her daughter a german "kaufladen", which is like a store front, last christmas. When we visit, everyone from the toddlers to the middle schoolers played with that. Now, that is a gift that will last through her childhood and her children's childhoods. I wish I had the skills! here is something similar:

http://www.dein-traum-kaufladen.de/

She made it with pine, and everyone in the family contributed small food containers, a couple shopping carts, a cash register, toy money, etc.

IMO, If it needs batteries, it's not educational, it's brain-draining!
kendallina 12:10 PM 11-04-2011
from Naeyc:

http://www.naeyc.org/ecp/resources/goodtoys

An article about 'simple toys'

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1123204938.htm
daycare 12:11 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

On a less snarky note...your list is great. I have a feeling that the parents are looking for the types of toys that "teach" the child, a la Leap Pads and caterpillars that speak the alphabet, and DVD's that teach them Spanish and ******* and Swahili.
lol....your post cracked me up.....I feel like no matter what I tell them they wont be happy...

Heck let them play in the kitty litter...LOL its better than leap frog....I am so just kidding
daycare 12:12 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
-animal "memory"
-Steif animals, knights & horses, etc.
-a good quality marble run for older kids
-K'nex
-

My sister made her daughter a german "kaufladen", which is like a store front, last christmas. When we visit, everyone from the toddlers to the middle schoolers played with that. Now, that is a gift that will last through her childhood and her children's childhoods. I wish I had the skills! here is something similar:

http://www.dein-traum-kaufladen.de/

She made it with pine, and everyone in the family contributed small food containers, a couple shopping carts, a cash register, toy money, etc.

IMO, If it needs batteries, it's not educational, it's brain-draining!
OMG super cute..... I want one... but we just dont have the room
Country Kids 12:14 PM 11-04-2011

Exactly what i was thinking!!!!!!
SilverSabre25 12:14 PM 11-04-2011

Michael, why the heck is "R u s s i a n" getting **'d out?!
harperluu 12:27 PM 11-04-2011
Zingo is a favorite here and a great gift. I have 2 year olds that can play with coaching and the 3's & 4's flip over this great matching game.

Duplo lego sets are great. Not the bucket of various size duplos but the actual sets (i.e. airplane, fire station, etc.) These sets are sometimes hard to find and I have had the best luck locating them online. They come with interesting pieces that are versatile and large enough to be considered non-chokable in most cases. They are a great addition to the basic duplo block set.

A magnet set is great for over 4 year olds. Kapla blocks or Magna tiles are great for those kids that are creative builders. A marble run if they don't have younger siblings.

An Aquadoodle is great for preschool age. Cutting play food is always a favorite. I also recently purchased the Fisher Price picnic basket for my daughter for her birthday (she is 2) and it has lots of pieces and items for her to put in and out of the basket, plus she uses it with her dolls for pretend play.

Groovy girls. I think they still make them??

Hope this helps.
harperluu 12:29 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
Zingo is a favorite here and a great gift. I have 2 year olds that can play with coaching and the 3's & 4's flip over this great matching game.

Duplo lego sets are great. Not the bucket of various size duplos but the actual sets (i.e. airplane, fire station, etc.) These sets are sometimes hard to find and I have had the best luck locating them online. They come with interesting pieces that are versatile and large enough to be considered non-chokable in most cases. They are a great addition to the basic duplo block set.

A magnet set is great for over 4 year olds. Kapla blocks or Magna tiles are great for those kids that are creative builders. A marble run if they don't have younger siblings.

An Aquadoodle is great for preschool age. Cutting play food is always a favorite. I also recently purchased the Fisher Price picnic basket for my daughter for her birthday (she is 2) and it has lots of pieces and items for her to put in and out of the basket, plus she uses it with her dolls for pretend play.

Groovy girls. I think they still make them??

Hope this helps.
Dear lord! How many times did I say great??? Sheesh!
daycare 12:34 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
Dear lord! How many times did I say great??? Sheesh!
its ok...I think it's great!! lol

Thanks everyone for the replies...

I know that as teachers of children we see toys much differently than most parents do.

I will forward along all of these suggestions....
kimsdaycare 12:38 PM 11-04-2011
Refer them to site like Lakeshore Learning.

Many parents view educational toys and learning systems as the same thing.

School supply stores usually have a mix of both, but have a wonderful way of showing the value of even the simplest toys and what children learn from them.

Browsing through those catalogs are what inspired my first love of "getting back to the basics". Classic toys from our childhood that improve critical thinking skills and imagination.

I laugh when I see toys that are supposed to teach language or what not but are full of flashing lights buttons to press.

DCK brought one once where Dora was supposed to say "Hello!...Hola!"

It always came out "Hello!...Ho!" because they kept pressing the buttons too fast lol!

Educational indeed
daycare 12:47 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
Refer them to site like Lakeshore Learning.

Many parents view educational toys and learning systems as the same thing.

School supply stores usually have a mix of both, but have a wonderful way of showing the value of even the simplest toys and what children learn from them.

Browsing through those catalogs are what inspired my first love of "getting back to the basics". Classic toys from our childhood that improve critical thinking skills and imagination.

I laugh when I see toys that are supposed to teach language or what not but are full of flashing lights buttons to press.

It always came out "Hello!...Ho!" because they kept pressing the buttons too fast lol!

Educational indeed
lol...that is super funny!!

I hate those types of toys and my In-Laws are always always always buying them for my son....
E Daycare 08:07 AM 11-05-2011
Im doing Christmas shopping for my own DS (2yrs old) and ALWAYS find its educational. My dcp ask the same thing and I said "well etsy has a lot of nice handmade toys, sensory tubs (or you can make your own), felt boards, seek and find toys etc and amazon has a plethora of Montessori toys/puzzles that Im getting DS".

Not the answer they were looking for I think but then again if they look around the daycare they should see thats all the kids have. Stuff to get them thinking and moving. Today I ordered those big Melissa and Doug cardboard blocks and looked up some felt boards. I always lean towards the educational toys. My sil wanted to know what my ds wanted for xmas and I said "Tinker toys!" lol.

I have one battery operated toy on his xmas list and its a remote controlled bus.

The only electronic toy I had as a kid was Speak N Say and I survived lol. To be honest though, I still wish I had that for my DS lol.
daycare 09:13 AM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
Im doing Christmas shopping for my own DS (2yrs old) and ALWAYS find its educational. My dcp ask the same thing and I said "well etsy has a lot of nice handmade toys, sensory tubs (or you can make your own), felt boards, seek and find toys etc and amazon has a plethora of Montessori toys/puzzles that Im getting DS".

Not the answer they were looking for I think but then again if they look around the daycare they should see thats all the kids have. Stuff to get them thinking and moving. Today I ordered those big Melissa and Doug cardboard blocks and looked up some felt boards. I always lean towards the educational toys. My sil wanted to know what my ds wanted for xmas and I said "Tinker toys!" lol.

I have one battery operated toy on his xmas list and its a remote controlled bus.

The only electronic toy I had as a kid was Speak N Say and I survived lol. To be honest though, I still wish I had that for my DS lol.
I want to make a felt board. Still trying to figure out how. Lol
DCMom 09:50 AM 11-05-2011
I agree with handing them the Lakeshore catalog. I could spend $1000's there. It's so frustrating when parents equate 'educational' with 'battery operated'. I like some of the V-tech products and they have their place, but I only have a few and they come out on rainy days or when there is just a few kids here.

I love that storefront, bbo. If I had the room I would make one in a heartbeat. I have the Lakeshore Market and everyone plays with that thing every single day. Yesterday it was the reception desk for the doctors office. The day before it was the restaurant. Often it's a puppet stage. Funny thing ~ it's rarely a 'market', lol!

A kitchen with dishes and food. Kid size table and chairs. Grocery carts. All big favorites.

Building toys like Legos, MagnaTiles, Lincoln Logs, K'nex, Tinkertoys, etc.

Games. They love games. Trouble is the current favorite followed by Let's Go Fishing (batteries, but still fun!)

Fisher Price playsets are great.

Now I want to go to ToyRUs I love toys!
DCMom 10:02 AM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Daycare~

I got an old white board on craigslist for free. The finish was not the best, so I turned it into a felt board. I bought felt by the yard (I used green) and spray adhesive. I had my dh remove the pen rail because is was sharp and I planned to hang it at kid level. Then I cut one piece to fit the white part of the whiteboard (inside the frame) and attached with the adhesive. Then I cut a piece about 4" larger all around to wrap the entire thing like a gift and fastened on the backside with the adhesive spray. The double layer creates more give and seems to work better when attaching the pieces. Then I hung it on the wall.

It was really easy and probably under $20 to do.
momofsix 08:05 PM 11-05-2011
Mine is so simple it's laughable!
My circle time area has as one of it's 'boundaries" a fairly low bookshelf (maybe 3' high), the back of the bookshelf is on the circle area side. I just bought a large piece of felt, cut it to the size of the back of the bookshelf and used double-sided tape to stick it on. I just cut out whatever shapes I want to use on it, laminate them and stick velcro on the back-they stick right on! Or I have also bought some felt shapes to use with it too. Super easy and doesn't take up any extra space at all!
sharlan 08:56 PM 11-05-2011
I've decided that Lakeshore is a BAD, BAD store. I now drive out of my way not to pass it. I have their big catalog all marked up with things I want for Christmas. (Yes, kids' toys are on MY Christmas list.)

I bought a bunch of flannel board play kits from Michael's - $1 clearanced. The kids never even looked at them twice. I set them out on the table for 2 weeks.
SilverSabre25 09:44 PM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Mine is so simple it's laughable!
My circle time area has as one of it's 'boundaries" a fairly low bookshelf (maybe 3' high), the back of the bookshelf is on the circle area side. I just bought a large piece of felt, cut it to the size of the back of the bookshelf and used double-sided tape to stick it on. I just cut out whatever shapes I want to use on it, laminate them and stick velcro on the back-they stick right on! Or I have also bought some felt shapes to use with it too. Super easy and doesn't take up any extra space at all!
You can also make your own felt shapes--buy felt at Michael's/JoAnn's and cut it out. Voila! felt shapes. You can do whatever you want--I made Jack O Lanterns for Halloween and am going to make turkeys for Tgiving. Felt is cheap, ~25 cents/piece.
dave4him 11:16 PM 11-05-2011
I have a few parents that are asking me what would be some great educational toys
Check with your local physical therapy... usually the toys they use while working with small children are perfect for educational use at home as well.
Ariana 05:38 PM 11-06-2011
I personally love all the ELC "Happyland" toys. They really encourage imaginative play and eventhough some of them have noise it's real sounds...like the toy digger sounds like an actual truck when you press the button. They also have play figures that are non sexist and very inclusive with a female construction worker and a little girl in a wheelchair.
laundrymom 10:28 AM 11-07-2011
I had a parent ask today if I planned on buying any educational toys for the kids for Christmas..... That she would like to add us to her shopping list and what do I think they would like....I told her that I LOVED that she thought of us!! and that I would email her later with ideas,...

I emailed that we could use spare envelopes, art items, sponges, material of varying textures, Brushes, chalk, whats its and zoodles,.. I asked her if when she cleaned out her tupperware drawer if she would donate any old unwanted lids, bowls, etc... Or buckets, socks, gloves, hats, fancy clothing thats been outgrown we can use for dressup, shoe boxes, glue, pipecleaners,

I got a response that said,... well I was more thinking of a leapster type toy?

I replied with, Oh no, we would never play with such a limited thing as a battery toy. Theres only one way to play with that,.. we like open ended items that can be a multitude of things. We prefer to use our ideas to power our play, not the energizer bunny. I do appreciate you offer though and hope you find some treasures for us to use.

Im still waiting for a response.
fionaya 01:14 AM 03-08-2012
Maybe you should try this robot kit: http://www.ideann.com/6-in-1-solar-robot-kit.html.
I bought this for my nephew, he enjoys it very much!
MissAnn 03:44 AM 03-08-2012

Years ago my mom bought a GI Joe doll with a pull string......it said...."Let's go shopping"

Apparently his voice got mixed up with Barbie's
LizFoote 06:00 AM 04-20-2012
This may be of interest. Two Australian speech therapists have just started a website that gives some easy and fun games to play with your baby or toddler to help them learn to talk.

You can download some games for free! Or download a book with a range of clever ideas to stimulate your little ones. You can even order a toy kit that gives you all the toys (at wholesale prices) needed to play the games.
Smart Kid 04:49 AM 09-14-2012
Hi,

I can also recommend a website that has lots of fun educational games for kids. What about laptop computers for children such as V Tech computers? They are educational and children tend to really enjoy them.

The website can be found at smart-kid-educational-games.com

I hope you find it helpful.

Shelley
Unregistered 03:07 PM 11-16-2012
My daughter just got a goofy grin monster for her birthday from a friend. She loves it! She carries it around everywhere with her and pretends to do chemistry experiments (or witch brews with it). I have had to drink a glass of what she brewed and turn into a cat several times. So far, it has held up to her abuse. The detail on them is amazing.
daycare 03:31 PM 11-16-2012
this post is over a year old...lol
Unregistered 12:22 PM 11-17-2012
My ECE/Child Development and Preschool Curriculum teachers say that if you can only afford to buy one toy for your class room invest in Unit Blocks! They are one of the most divers and educational toys you can by becasue they work all of the domains an intellegences (physical, language, social, math/science/cognitive, art, spacial awareness, natural). Unit blocks should be a little weighted (maple or oak wood- to help build strong muscles) in their puriest (little to no paint with no designs or letters/numbers). But basically anything that makes the child think and doesn't use batteries would be the way to go.

They say the rule of thumb for encouraging cognitive development should be that if they can't figure out how it works on their own or you cannot explain to them in a way that they understand on their level (like anything more then nuts and bolts and a manual winding device) that it most likely does not support cognitive development in children- they will just assume it is magic an not question how it works.
Alex 08:01 AM 04-06-2016
I recommend Wiplii's toys, its a brand which create cardboard houses, castles, tepees and pirate ships ! they also sell all the equipments which goes with these 4 mains themes. The concept is that the kids have to paint and decorate the toys and then create their own stories playing with it !

hopefully this will give you some ideas
permanentvacation 09:10 AM 04-06-2016
www.lakeshorelearning.com
MotherNature 11:33 AM 04-07-2016
5 year old thread.
Mad_Pistachio 01:37 PM 12-04-2016
Michael, why the heck is "R u s s i a n" getting **'d out?!
cause you can't learn it from a DVD
cause you can't learn it, pretty much period. that's coming from a native speaker
(no, I don't have an answer)
daycare 02:41 PM 12-04-2016
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
5 year old thread.
Lol. I saw this and was like I didn't post that. Saw it's 5 years old. Lol.
Mom2Two 12:32 PM 12-05-2016
Our CCR & R showed us how to make individual flannel boards, and I made a whole set of them. It's really nice, because they can use them to learn to spell their name or whatever. They boards lay flat on the table, so stuff doesn't fall off.

You buy self-adhesive posterboard from a craft store and cut each one into three parts. Then each part takes maybe 1/2 yard of flannel (I can't remember the exact amount). You lay the sticky part of the poster board onto the flannel, then bring the flannel ends onto the back and stick with duct tape (they have cute duct tape). I don't have handles on mine. I bought a Sillouette Portrait and cut out letters with pellon.
Cat Herder 04:19 AM 08-14-2020
Adding links to your first post generally makes you look like a spammer. That coding/interactive/digital toy set looks really cool though. I will leave your link up but others may not.

Please stick around and participate in discussions.

Welcome to the forum.
Tags:2011, toys - educational, toys - manipulatives
Reply Up