Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do I Charge For Over 24 Hours Of Care?
Former Teacher 02:34 PM 02-27-2011
I have the opportunity to watch 3 kids: 13, 12, and 9 years old. The family is about 45 miles from me. I met them through sittercity.com

Mom is going out of town. I have never met this family however I do have an interview scheduled on Tuesday. Mom said they are all really good kids, self sufficient etc..just can't be home alone yet overnight.

I don't want to overcharge her because again her kids are older and can do their own thing. However I need to make it worth my while esp with the drive and the way gas prices are...$3.19 in my area, higher over in their area.

What do you think would be reasonable?
Lucy 04:29 PM 02-27-2011
I did some figuring. You didn't say the times, and you said MORE than 24 hours, so I made up my own times. Here's how I would break it down. The times are probably wrong, but here goes:

7:00 am to 5:00 pm -- $25 per child
5:00 pm to 11:00 pm -- $20 per child
8 hours Overnight -- $10 per child
7:00 am to 10:00 am -- $10 per child

This comes to $195, so I'd make it $200. That sounds like a lot, doesn't it? But when you break it down by what you'd charge for regular Daycare, it makes sense. AND you're going to THEIR house, so it should be worth your while.

Curious to see what everyone else says.
Abigail 04:54 PM 02-27-2011
Is this just a one time deal? Why can't they drive the children to your home? Hmmm, I would come up with a flat rate while they're expected to be awake and another lower flat rate while they're expected to be sleeping....assuming you're going to be sleeping as well. Then I would add a set fuel rate. Ask $15-$20 total for fuel for the trip to and from and then decide how many hours they're awake vs. how many hours you're all asleep. It is easier that they're older for sure, but kids always act differently when parents are not around. LOL
Former Teacher 05:14 PM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I did some figuring. You didn't say the times, and you said MORE than 24 hours, so I made up my own times. Here's how I would break it down. The times are probably wrong, but here goes:

7:00 am to 5:00 pm -- $25 per child
5:00 pm to 11:00 pm -- $20 per child
8 hours Overnight -- $10 per child
7:00 am to 10:00 am -- $10 per child

This comes to $195, so I'd make it $200. That sounds like a lot, doesn't it? But when you break it down by what you'd charge for regular Daycare, it makes sense. AND you're going to THEIR house, so it should be worth your while.

Curious to see what everyone else says.
Thanks so much Joyce! I was actually thinking that around $200 but I didn't want to appear greedy The job would be from Saturday afternoon (she didnt say what time) until 7 p.m. Sunday. I will tell her 200...thanks again!

Originally Posted by Abigail:
Is this just a one time deal? Why can't they drive the children to your home? Hmmm, I would come up with a flat rate while they're expected to be awake and another lower flat rate while they're expected to be sleeping....assuming you're going to be sleeping as well. Then I would add a set fuel rate. Ask $15-$20 total for fuel for the trip to and from and then decide how many hours they're awake vs. how many hours you're all asleep. It is easier that they're older for sure, but kids always act differently when parents are not around. LOL
Yes it is a one time sitting, that I know of. She may ask me again. Not sure. I can't have them at my house for several reasons. One: I live in a one bedroom apartment. Two: While I do have the space, my husband will be sleeping since he has to work Saturday night.

So.....I agree about the fuel charge. I am so looking forward to the fact that they are older...no diapers or feedings haha
littlemissmuffet 05:21 PM 02-27-2011
I'm also curious what others might suggest, $200 seems way too high to me.
Lucy 05:30 PM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I'm also curious what others might suggest, $200 seems way too high to me.
You have to remember there are THREE kids. Think what you charge for a normal 9 hour day for one kid. Multiply that by 3. Ok, now multiply it by 3 again, because it's over 24 hours -- let's just say 27 hours -- which is three 9-hour blocks. $200 would convert to $22 per normal daycare day per child. I think it's very reasonable. Especially when you consider she's driving to their house.
Christian Mother 09:48 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I have the opportunity to watch 3 kids: 13, 12, and 9 years old. The family is about 45 miles from me. I met them through sittercity.com

Mom is going out of town. I have never met this family however I do have an interview scheduled on Tuesday. Mom said they are all really good kids, self sufficient etc..just can't be home alone yet overnight.

I don't want to overcharge her because again her kids are older and can do their own thing. However I need to make it worth my while esp with the drive and the way gas prices are...$3.19 in my area, higher over in their area.

What do you think would be reasonable?
Every 3 months or so I have a family of 3 (8, 11, 13) that I watch. Usually from a Thrus. through Sund. I would pick them up after school which is ashually in a diff. town and then mom picks them up later on that Sund. I charge $100 a day (which is just $33 per child). I also ask them to provide snacks for there kids. She is really good about providing gas money as I do the driving around when a child has soccer games or what have you. It ends up working out for me as I am making $400 for that weekend and its not so exspensive for her and I am happy with the pay.
Christian Mother 09:59 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Thanks so much Joyce! I was actually thinking that around $200 but I didn't want to appear greedy The job would be from Saturday afternoon (she didnt say what time) until 7 p.m. Sunday. I will tell her 200...thanks again!

Yes it is a one time sitting, that I know of. She may ask me again. Not sure. I can't have them at my house for several reasons. One: I live in a one bedroom apartment. Two: While I do have the space, my husband will be sleeping since he has to work Saturday night.

So.....I agree about the fuel charge. I am so looking forward to the fact that they are older...no diapers or feedings haha
Oh, didn't know it was just for one night. I agree...$200 is a great price to ask for!!
Abigail 06:59 PM 02-28-2011
I was once asked to watch two young school-age girls during the same time frame as you're needed for. The parents were driving to another city for a concert and staying the night and returning the next day. She was shocked how many people wanted minimum wage for the entire time and agreed that $50-$75 was the most she would pay because the kids were older and were going to be asleep half the time.

IMO, $200 is too much to ask even if it is three children. I would say $100 if you think it is a one time job or maybe $150 or so if you think it will be re-occuring. Try to figure how many awake hours and the cost per hour you would like and do a time-asleep guess and how much you would like. If they're going to offer you meals and tv and internet while you're there and they're sleeping, I wouldn't ask for much per hour ($3 or so) while the children are sleeping.

2-10 pm awake at $2.50/hour per child is $7.50/hour x 8 hours = $60
10 pm-7 am sleeping at 1.00/hour per child is $3.00/hour x 9 hours = $27
7 am-3 pm awake at $2.50/hour per child is $7.50/hour x 8 hours = $60
Add these estimates up if you think they're accurate and it would be roughly $147 or round up to $150. Feel free to change the dollar amounts to back yourself up.
JenNJ 04:35 AM 03-01-2011
Just a quick fyi - in this area people pay a normal college age sitter $12 per hour whether the kids are awake or asleep for a night out. As a former nanny, I would get $200 per night regularly and that was 10 yeas ago.
Former Teacher 02:46 PM 03-01-2011
Well I had the interview today with the mother. I would "work" from 6:30 a.m. Saturday until Sunday 7:00 p.m. Mom is a single mom who works for the Air Force and has to to travel to Denmark (long story).

The final price: $250.00

She said the most problem thing for me will be boredom. She said the kids have their chores etc. They do their own thing. She said for me to bring my laptop and I can be online

She basically just needs an adult in the house. The other nanny is watching the kiddos from Sunday until mom returns home on Friday.

Looks like I will be on daycare.com more than usual!
Tags:24 hour care, 24 hour care charging, charging, rates - 24 hour
Reply Up