Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Handbook
Country Kids 06:56 AM 08-18-2011
What exactly do you put into a parent handbook? I'm thinking of making one but not sure what to put in it. Also, do you have them sign it and then you keep it or do you just give them a copy? I want them to sign something to show the read it (hopefully) but would I then give them an extra copy?
PitterPatter 08:06 AM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
What exactly do you put into a parent handbook? I'm thinking of making one but not sure what to put in it. Also, do you have them sign it and then you keep it or do you just give them a copy? I want them to sign something to show the read it (hopefully) but would I then give them an extra copy?
I put everything in it. My handbook is now about 10 pages long from explaining my philosophy and what to expect here, state requirments, termination policy, fees, Holidays off, the daily schedule, the Food prog and not to bring food from home, behavior managment/discipline, arrival and departue, and more. Make sure u put a strict illnes policy in it as well. I have the whole pick up times drop offs etc covered. Anything you expect put in it. Now will they read it? Probably not. They will sign anything then complain later that they didn't read it so I go over the handbook at interviews. I don't read it word for word but I give them their copy to look at while I review it and make sure I hit on the illness policies and pick ups fees etc. Those are the most areas I have trouble with clints abusing.

I make 2 copies of the contract page. Theirs is attached to the handbook. It's their last page. Mine goes in a folder here. I have the parent sign off on 3 differen't sections. They write thie own name in the top line that states I___ have read and agree to.... Then the contracted hours they sign what the latest is the kid will be picked up and if they are late they will pay the fee... They sign there. Then it goes on down basic contract and sign the bottom. We each sign both papers. I don't run copies anymore because parents can say I altered it etc. A provider had that problem so I just avoid it by havimg both of us signing everything by hand.

Good luck! I think everyone should have a handbook / contract these days just in case!
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 08-18-2011
Oddly enough I have found that the longer I have done this job the shorter my handbook is. (Current one is maybe 2 full pages.) I do have a contract/payment agrement sheet that says:

"I ______________ have read the policy handbook. I understand and agree to the policies and expectations that Miss ******* and I have discussed. I also understand and agree to discuss directly with Miss ****** should any additional questions and/or concerns arise."

The next section on the page is a custom payment and schedule agreement that is modified for each individual child/family. It basically just spells out what their rate is and what hours and days they will be attending and when (weekly, bi-weekly or monthly) they will be paying. Both myself and the parent signs the page and I make 2 copies. One for parent and one for me. I up date these once per year or more if they have any changes.
Meeko 10:19 AM 08-18-2011
My handbook is 13 pages long. When they sign the contract, they sign a paragraph at the end that states they have read and understand the handbook and understand that it is part of their legally binding contract.
Michael 12:14 PM 08-18-2011
Some samples here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...dbook+-+sample
Crystal 12:56 PM 08-18-2011
Countrykids....pm me your email addy and I'll send you a copy of my handbook and contract. You can use it as is or change it to meet your needs.
VTMom 06:34 PM 08-18-2011
My handbook is 5 pages long. The final page is a summary page that requires signatures and dates. Summary includes a brief description of fees, illness policy, vacation times, authorization to photograph children (with notice to discuss it with me if it's a problem), authorization to transport children to/from preschool, and a notice that snack and meals are provided. The handbook goes more in depth and has other items in it as well (curriculum, insurance, etc).

I used to have the handbook with the final page being the signature page, but a lot of parents were handing the whole thing back to me instead of the final page. I decided it would be best for me, and for the families, to have a summary page.
rysakaem1 02:56 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Countrykids....pm me your email addy and I'll send you a copy of my handbook and contract. You can use it as is or change it to meet your needs.
If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would love to see a copy of your handbook.
grandmom 04:15 PM 08-22-2011
My contract has anything that will get us into court if they don't follow, and anything that will cover my backside once we're there.

My handbook is all the other stuff they might need or want to know.
gelbesonn 01:19 PM 08-23-2011
You can PM me too, I don't mind sharing!
Tags:handbook, handbook - sample
Reply Up