Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Re Wording Illness Policy
clep 07:40 AM 09-26-2012
So I re worded my day home policy to ensure parents are not in the position to debate with me if their child is too sick to be at care.

I only had a problem with one parent trying to push the boundaries. I also suspect they have been doing the drug and drop for the last two weeks.

I sent the policy with the new wording and clearer guidlines out to parents yesterday. All were very pleased with it except the parent who is the trouble parent in this area.

She has been SAHM for quite some time now with her older two in school. Her response was that she cannot conform to the new policy as her husband's work is too far away to ensure a timely pickup. He doesn't do drop offs and very rarely does pick ups as it is since she is home all day.

Also she has shared that it is not reasonable that if her child was to eat something bad on a Sunday, and throws up on a Monday that he has to stay home then for two days. She feels that is excessive. Of course she does.

She is letting me know that rewording the policy and making it a mandatory policy is breaking our contract and kicking her family out.

I always take prepayment for the last 30 days of care so parents cannot bolt as I am sure this family would be if I didn't have that prepayment. I am confident she is wording things this way in an effort to made me responsible for them leaving asap, so I will have to reimburse them the last month's prepayment.

My contract is VERY clear regarding the prepayment and that it is ONLY applied for the last 30 days of care and will not be reimbursed to parents. They can always find some way to justify having to leave asap when they are angry.

I know exactly how I want to handle this, and have the response typed up and her notice printed. Just want to get some further input before I submit it to her.
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by clep:
So I re worded my day home policy to ensure parents are not in the position to debate with me if their child is too sick to be at care.

I only had a problem with one parent trying to push the boundaries. I also suspect they have been doing the drug and drop for the last two weeks.

I sent the policy with the new wording and clearer guidlines out to parents yesterday. All were very pleased with it except the parent who is the trouble parent in this area.

She has been SAHM for quite some time now with her older two in school. Her response was that she cannot conform to the new policy as her husband's work is too far away to ensure a timely pickup. He doesn't do drop offs and very rarely does pick ups as it is since she is home all day.

Also she has shared that it is not reasonable that if her child was to eat something bad on a Sunday, and throws up on a Monday that he has to stay home then for two days. She feels that is excessive. Of course she does.

She is letting me know that rewording the policy and making it a mandatory policy is breaking our contract and kicking her family out.

I always take prepayment for the last 30 days of care so parents cannot bolt as I am sure this family would be if I didn't have that prepayment. I am confident she is wording things this way in an effort to made me responsible for them leaving asap, so I will have to reimburse them the last month's prepayment.

My contract is VERY clear regarding the prepayment and that it is ONLY applied for the last 30 days of care and will not be reimbursed to parents. They can always find some way to justify having to leave asap when they are angry.

I know exactly how I want to handle this, and have the response typed up and her notice printed. Just want to get some further input before I submit it to her.
I would let her know that this illness policy has always been in place, she just hasn't always followed it.

Plus just because SHE thinks her child ate something one day to make her throw up the next day is not always true as she is NOT a doctor so how does she actually KNOW that it was due to something her child ate and not due to an illness?

I would tell her nice try but the illenss policy has always bee in palce and you are just now having to get strict with it since you assumed parents would use their best judgment and do what is best for their child but obviously SOME parents aren't doing that so you are having to get strict now.

Just because she can't or won't pick up in a timely manner is also NOT your issue or your problem.

Reiterating and strictly enforcing the illness policy is NOT voiding your contract....again tell her nice try.

I am kind of not-so-nice about this stuff and would probably be inclined to tell her that IF she can prove with a doctors slip EVERY time her child has a cough, cold, runny nose, sniffles, throws up, diarrhea, fever etc... she can be at daycare but ONLY as long as she gets a doctor's slip saying child is NOT sick each time symptoms are observed then the child can be in care.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 09-26-2012
Curious as to what you are planning to say to her....care to share that?
clep 08:17 AM 09-26-2012
I was saying to her pretty much the same thing you are. My response was just wayyyy more long winded. Glad I asked for some input.

I also like the way you worded it that if she "can't or won't pick up in a timely manner that is not my issue".

Termination of this particular family is really my preference at this point. There are so many other issues at hand I am truly exhausted with this family.

The rest of the parents are really happy about the new wording of the policy. I have the paperwork from them already. They are also very pleased as my husband has changed his shift at work to evenings. He used to run a day home for several years. He has agreed to take over the day home during the day if I fall ill so I won't have to be closed in the future.

I think I have covered all my bases so I am not sick all the time caring for her sick son, and have also provided an extra pillow for the parents with my husband being back up.
daycare 08:23 AM 09-26-2012
I think my past client flew to Canada.....

So mom is at home all day without kids and she can't keep them home? Am I reading this right?
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 09-26-2012
Do you require a 30 days notice if they choose to leave? Is that why you require the last 30 days of payment?

If she leaves, it is all her NOT you so I would stand my ground on that one.

If she tries to sue or have a fit about not refunding, tough!!!

You are sooo in the right about this situation.
clep 09:00 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think my past client flew to Canada.....

So mom is at home all day without kids and she can't keep them home? Am I reading this right?
Yes you are reading that right. She took a year off of work to train for the Ironman which she recently competed in. She really inspired me there to tell you the truth.

The child stays sick for long periods of time at home as she says she doesn't have the energy to fight with him to get him to nap at home and he stays moving all day to stay awake if left to his own devices. She can participate in an Ironman for 13 hours straight, but doesn't have the energy to put her child for a nap.

I think she might go back to work in the near future, but has tried numerous times in the last two weeks to leave her child with me sick while she is at home from work.
clep 09:02 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you require a 30 days notice if they choose to leave? Is that why you require the last 30 days of payment?

If she leaves, it is all her NOT you so I would stand my ground on that one.

If she tries to sue or have a fit about not refunding, tough!!!

You are sooo in the right about this situation.
Yes, I require 30 days notice and I have to adhere to that as well. I have an unpaid day off in October that I will reimburse her for, but not the last month's prepayment.
canadiancare 11:38 AM 09-26-2012
Have you referred to the Alberta daycare licensing requirements for your health policy creation? I am unlicensed but I use the Ontario one for mine.

There is a big difference between upchucking a maldigested meal and vomiting up a lung with a virus. I always call the parents the first time a child vomits and tell them to be on alert because if they throw up again I will expect them picked up. They also don't bring the child in until there has been no diarrhea or vomiting for 48 hours. I don't have an issue with my parents abusing my policies because it is the same standard they'd have in any centre. I don't refuse a snotty nose but I do refuse highly contagious and difficult to control the spread of viruses.

If it is as you suspect a parenting issue then you are probably better off ending the relationship sooner, rather than later because it will probably fester and reappear constantly.
clep 12:02 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
Have you referred to the Alberta daycare licensing requirements for your health policy creation? I am unlicensed but I use the Ontario one for mine.

There is a big difference between upchucking a maldigested meal and vomiting up a lung with a virus. I always call the parents the first time a child vomits and tell them to be on alert because if they throw up again I will expect them picked up. They also don't bring the child in until there has been no diarrhea or vomiting for 48 hours. I don't have an issue with my parents abusing my policies because it is the same standard they'd have in any centre. I don't refuse a snotty nose but I do refuse highly contagious and difficult to control the spread of viruses.

If it is as you suspect a parenting issue then you are probably better off ending the relationship sooner, rather than later because it will probably fester and reappear constantly.
I am confident it is a parenting issue. I sent the child home last week as he had a fever over 100 at lunch, did not eat, was lethargic, sweating and had an extremely runny nose and a cough. The mother took him home and brought him back the next day telling me he was fine to come back to care. I let her know he was not and she had to take him home. She tried to debate that he was fine and I stood my ground. This was after he was questionable for a couple of weeks!!! I ended up with bronchitis and was closed for a day. This SAHM was upset I was closed and was very clear about that.

I agree about ending the relationship. I will just stand my ground and she will end it I am confident. She is trying to manipulate the situation so she can have a leg to stand on so she can term without notice and expect her 30 day notice prepayment back. Not happening.
daycare 12:14 PM 09-26-2012
Yes you are reading that right. She took a year off of work to train for the Ironman which she recently competed in. She really inspired me there to tell you the truth.

The child stays sick for long periods of time at home as she says she doesn't have the energy to fight with him to get him to nap at home and he stays moving all day to stay awake if left to his own devices. She can participate in an Ironman for 13 hours straight, but doesn't have the energy to put her child for a nap.

I think she might go back to work in the near future, but has tried numerous times in the last two weeks to leave her child with me sick while she is at home from work.
oh wow....I have done triathlons (wish I could do and Ironman) and let me tell you that it takes not only great mental strength, but great physical strength too. BUT I have to admit what it takes to do our job is neither. Our job takes patience and it looks like mom is not getting her priorities right. She should be taking the time to do what is necessary to develop the patience to deal with her child well or ill.

This really does sound like the mom that I had, but this mom did marthons at the mall, so she needed full time care for both of her children from 6am to 7:30pm daily.

I would be telling this mom to get a nice jogger and learn to be a mom.
clep 12:40 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
oh wow....I have done triathlons (wish I could do and Ironman) and let me tell you that it takes not only great mental strength, but great physical strength too. BUT I have to admit what it takes to do our job is neither. Our job takes patience and it looks like mom is not getting her priorities right. She should be taking the time to do what is necessary to develop the patience to deal with her child well or ill.

This really does sound like the mom that I had, but this mom did marthons at the mall, so she needed full time care for both of her children from 6am to 7:30pm daily.

I would be telling this mom to get a nice jogger and learn to be a mom.
Yes you are correct, patience is required, but where I see she is really lacking is in boundaries and consistency. She does what is easiest for the moment, not what is best for the child.

I did send her the email. Will see if she terms. I am confident she will.
clep 04:58 PM 09-26-2012
Woo hoo. The parents have decided to end the contract amicably and will be providing their notice. Life is fantastic. Guess the email that was sent did the trick.

What a great day!!! Thanks for your help everyone and special thanks to Blackcat for proofing my email and with your aid. I greatly appreciate it.
daycare 05:01 PM 09-26-2012
Oh so happy for you. I went out and celebrated when mine terminated care.

Your days are going To be soooo much better!!! V
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 09-27-2012
Woo hoo. The parents have decided to end the contract amicably and will be providing their notice. Life is fantastic. Guess the email that was sent did the trick.

What a great day!!! Thanks for your help everyone and special thanks to Blackcat for proofing my email and with your aid. I greatly appreciate it.
That is fantastic!

Sometimes parting ways IS what is best for everyone involved!

Glad things worked out well!
Reply Up