Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dealing with medical issue and child are......advice please.
Unregistered 07:42 AM 11-25-2013
I am registered but prefer to remain anonymous until I decide what to do. For the last 6 months my health has really declined. I have had a lot of nausea and pain in my back and abdominal area. I am also having issues with emptying my bladder and bleeding. They finally found multiple large tumours and cysts in both of my ovaries. Since they are quite large and my ovaries are enlarged I have lots of pressure on my bladder and kidneys. I experienced excruciating pain recently when one of the cysts ruptured. My doctor has also told me there is a very good chance I am infertile. The emotional impact of that has been hard for me as I desperately want more children. I am taking several different medications to manage the symptoms and will be having surgery to remove the tumours which are not believed to be cancerous.

My question is how much information would you tell the DCP? I only watch 4children in addition to my own. Two of these children are a sibling group and they have a lot of behaviour issues. I am considering terming them so I don't have to be so stressed during the day, but I feel guilty because this family just started with me 3weeks ago.

I have to decide if I want to try and save my ovaries and take fertility drugs to conceive after surgery, or have them removed to stop cysts and fibroid tumours from forming. There is no cure or way to stop my body from making them. Have any if you had experience with this? I don't have a very supportive family or husband, so any advice you can share would be really good for me.
kitkat 08:01 AM 11-25-2013
So sorry to hear about what you are dealing with! I'm not sure how much advice I can give you.

As far as terming the newer kids, I would do it if you can afford it.

As far as how much do you share...everyone has different comfort levels with disclosing that info. I've always been very open with my families. BUT I have the type of families that I CAN be open with and care about me and my family. I think the type of families you care for will play a big factor into how much you share. I hope that makes sense.

Just remember, you need to take care of you. If you don't do what is best for you, and your family, you won't be much good to anyone else, including your family. You said your family isn't very supportive, so make sure you come on here if you need something.
cheerfuldom 08:05 AM 11-25-2013
I wouldnt tell the families about any of your health issues. They dont need to know. Now is the perfect time to term this new sibling set because they havent been there for long. You can simply tell the parents that your set up and group are not right for their kids. It will be easier to do it now than keep them for 6 months and then all of a sudden say that they are too high energy for you. I wouldnt even get into the behavioral issues and over explain the situation. just say you tried it out and can see that you arent the right fit for the kids and give them a two weeks notice. done.
Play Care 08:21 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I wouldnt tell the families about any of your health issues. They dont need to know. Now is the perfect time to term this new sibling set because they havent been there for long. You can simply tell the parents that your set up and group are not right for their kids. It will be easier to do it now than keep them for 6 months and then all of a sudden say that they are too high energy for you. I wouldnt even get into the behavioral issues and over explain the situation. just say you tried it out and can see that you arent the right fit for the kids and give them a two weeks notice. done.

Luvnmykidz 08:46 AM 11-25-2013
Have you heard of or been diagnosed previously with PCOS Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome? All of your symptoms sound all to familiar to this disorder that goes un-diagnosed so often. I am not a doctor by any means. I was diagnosed with this at 19. I am 32 now with 3 kids. I was told i would be infertile and was encouraged to have my ovaries removed as well. I didn't. I found a doctor who has a background in this and she recommended a special diet to help off set some of the issues I was having and I also began eating healthier and taking better care of myslef. PM me if you would like more info on testing treatment, etc. As far as letting the parents know. I honestly wouldnt tell them anything about me unless it directly interfered with me providing care for their children. The one(s) with behavior issues I would talk to the parents and put them on a probation and warn that terming is an alternative if the behaviors continue. Stressful days are not good nor are they fun. Good luck with everything.
Cradle2crayons 08:46 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am registered but prefer to remain anonymous until I decide what to do. For the last 6 months my health has really declined. I have had a lot of nausea and pain in my back and abdominal area. I am also having issues with emptying my bladder and bleeding. They finally found multiple large tumours and cysts in both of my ovaries. Since they are quite large and my ovaries are enlarged I have lots of pressure on my bladder and kidneys. I experienced excruciating pain recently when one of the cysts ruptured. My doctor has also told me there is a very good chance I am infertile. The emotional impact of that has been hard for me as I desperately want more children. I am taking several different medications to manage the symptoms and will be having surgery to remove the tumours which are not believed to be cancerous.

My question is how much information would you tell the DCP? I only watch 4children in addition to my own. Two of these children are a sibling group and they have a lot of behaviour issues. I am considering terming them so I don't have to be so stressed during the day, but I feel guilty because this family just started with me 3weeks ago.

I have to decide if I want to try and save my ovaries and take fertility drugs to conceive after surgery, or have them removed to stop cysts and fibroid tumours from forming. There is no cure or way to stop my body from making them. Have any if you had experience with this? I don't have a very supportive family or husband, so any advice you can share would be really good for me.

I agree with the others. Perfect timing to term the newest two and it's better to do it now than later.

As far as the health issues, I could have written your post. Except that was me before getting pregnant with our only biological child. They did a few small surgeries and then did the six month injections that grew me into menopause and hen placed me on glycophage immediately after surgery. The month after the six and last shot whammmmmmmmmmoh pregnant. I remained in the glycophage until my last trimester to attempt to stave off a miscarriage and Whalah bouncing baby girl.

After she was born we attempted to try again, but the tumors on my ovaries came back with a vengeance and the CT suggested it wasn't benign this time. When she was 1.5 I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy. But I got my miracle baby.

So certainly I'm not saying you will have success but only YOU can decide what is best for you and your family. I guess it was easier for me because I sort if knew that after her it would be over and all the female issues would be ended with a hysto so I knew there was an end to he pain and suffering. We agreed to give it x amount of time and if I hadn't gotten pregnant or I was suffering too horribly we would have the big surgery sooner.
Great Beginnings 09:04 AM 11-25-2013
So sorry for all you are going through.

Last year I was having a lot of pain and bleeding and after some test found out that I had a "spot" in my uterus and cyst on my ovaries. The cyst are nothing new as I've always had them but the spot as they called it was concerning. They couldn't tell if it was cancerous from test so it was decided I needed surgery. It ended up being a polyp so nothing major.

I have a mix of families. I have some really wonderful caring parents and I have some very selfish, cheap parents. I only told some of them what was really going on because I knew they would be a support and even offered to help watch some families that day. Then the other families I kept it minimal and that I needed to take the day off for personal family reasons. Unfortunately in this business we have to be careful what we discolse to some parents as they are less than sympathetic or understanding

Oh, and on a side note! I was told that I would probably not be able to get pregnant on my own and would require fertility treatment. Partly because I was on the shot for over 8 years but also due to the cyst and the scaring from the polyp surgery. I had a 10 year old that was my world so I was ok with this after a while. I recently got remarried in September and I am now 2 months pregnant! Dr's don't always have all the answers so keep calm, take care of you and your family and follow God's plan
daycarediva 09:27 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
Have you heard of or been diagnosed previously with PCOS Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome? All of your symptoms sound all to familiar to this disorder that goes un-diagnosed so often. I am not a doctor by any means. I was diagnosed with this at 19. I am 32 now with 3 kids. I was told i would be infertile and was encouraged to have my ovaries removed as well. I didn't. I found a doctor who has a background in this and she recommended a special diet to help off set some of the issues I was having and I also began eating healthier and taking better care of myslef. PM me if you would like more info on testing treatment, etc. As far as letting the parents know. I honestly wouldnt tell them anything about me unless it directly interfered with me providing care for their children. The one(s) with behavior issues I would talk to the parents and put them on a probation and warn that terming is an alternative if the behaviors continue. Stressful days are not good nor are they fun. Good luck with everything.
I also have PCOS. I was diagnosed after they found a baseball sized cyst on my ovary. I had surgery to remove it (have had 4 now, total). Got on a special diet (like a diabetic diet) and started metformin. I was told I wouldn't be able to get pregnant as well.... I had 4 kids all conceived while taking birth control.

I would term the two I could, and then speak to the parents of the other kids. Just letting them know that you will be needing some time off on X date to X date. Paid or unpaid (per your contract) and leave it at that. I try to disclose as little as possible to my dcf's.
MBF 09:54 AM 11-25-2013
I also have PCOS, was told at 17 there would be no children. I did have to have some fertility treatment, but have a 18 and 10 yr old. Please look after yourself and do what you need to lower your stress> thinking of you!
Reply Up